Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31127 - 06/16/07 07:42 PM brand new here...got some Q's
M.$tErNeR Offline
Loc: D-WaRe???
ok im merrill and im looking into buying a grand prix(1998).however im getting it for a deal but the Ac compressor locked up and caught on fire and melted somethings under the hood.i know i need an Ac compressor, wiring harness and a few other things.overall though it wasnt really all that bad.2 buy those things by themself is gonna cost more than im willing to spend.now im looking around for a 3.8 grand prix "parts car" but im not really having much luck.i know the buick regal for example uses the 3.8 too and so do a few other cars that Gm made back in the late 90's.how different are these cars though under the hood.could i use a wiring harness/AC compressor/ETC from a buick regal 3.8 on a grand prix?? i have no clue about grand prixs so i figured id ask the ppl that know.sorry not my fault but i have a 98 z28 camaro and im not used to these type of things.im used to putting the petal down and having my car scream back but im looking at this grand prix as a potential daily driver and im willing to learn but i need 2 know if i can fix this car for the amount of money its worth before i buy it and try to start doing this stuff.ThaNx
#31128 - 06/16/07 07:48 PM Re: brand new here...got some Q's
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
welcome to the site... i have a 98 3.8 that im scraping for parts if your interested let me know i just recently riped that part out for someone but it didnt match up... so i got it sitting in the shed ill let it go for about 100 and if you would need anything else let me know
#31129 - 06/16/07 07:52 PM Re: brand new here...got some Q's
M.$tErNeR Offline
im not sure exactly.i dont have the car in front of me so im not exactly sure on what i need but i should know early this week.ill let u know but chances r no because i can buy these things on a parts car for no more than a 1000 and there i have the rest of the car to do with as i please.part out, use, etc.im pretty much looking to buy a parts car no matter what but im not sure which types of cars i can use for these types of problems as i dont believe they relate specifically to grand prixs.thanks for the quick reply though and theres a small chance we might be on touch.lol
#31130 - 06/16/07 11:22 PM Re: brand new here...got some Q's
Richard Candelario Offline
contact Ed Morad. he has a large GP junkyard. great guy to do business with. search our threads for his contact information. Welcome to the site.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#31131 - 06/16/07 11:43 PM Re: brand new here...got some Q's
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
And before you ask

Contact ed at
gtped@msn.com
#31132 - 06/17/07 05:41 PM Re: brand new here...got some Q's
M.$tErNeR Offline
sorry im not trying to be rude but i dont really want 2 contact someone or buy the parts i need yet.im just trying to find out if anyone knows if other 3800 engines from other gm cars(Ex.buick riviera) have the same ac compressors, master cylinder,wiring harness etc as the grand prixs do.basically are the things under the hood interchangeable? soory if i confused any1 with my other post but id rather include everthing then have ppl post replys about them being confused on what was all happening
#31133 - 06/17/07 07:15 PM Re: brand new here...got some Q's
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
From what it sounds like you are looking to replace the burnt parts cheaply. Ed can hook you up with everything you need and it's all compatable. I know all the series II parts are interchangeable not sure on accessories.

But if you hang around long enough you can find a parts car. I believe there is even one for sale now.

http://www.grandprix.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007562;p=0&r=nfx
#31134 - 06/17/07 10:03 PM Re: brand new here...got some Q's
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
You must have a series II 3800 for parts. Beyond that, the parts on the engine should swap.

The wire harness will have to be strictly a GP though. Other cars are not compatible.
#31135 - 06/19/07 01:40 AM Re: brand new here...got some Q's
M.$tErNeR Offline
ok and i just figured a parts car would be cheaper than buying the parts alone since im not exactly sure i know everything i need yet.once i find out everything i need ill check with ed.and parts cars arent hard 2 come by but i have a hard time finding them around me and i dont want 2 by one in california or something and have 2 pay a grand 2 have it shipped here.