Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31788 - 03/22/04 06:23 PM Re: Are my mods OK
EnYgMa Offline
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
How about Iridium plugs? I just put those in my car a couple of months ago and I seem to like them. But the car is pretty much stock except for open cone.

Does anyone have any opinions on them?
#31789 - 03/22/04 07:12 PM Re: Are my mods OK
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Terrapin,

Good shopping looks good to me. Man I wish I had the cash to get all that. Enjoy your ride. I live vicariously through those who can mod their cars.
#31790 - 03/22/04 07:16 PM Re: Are my mods OK
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Enygma,

As for the irridium plugs are they solid or do they have irridium pieces on the electrodes? The problem with the Platinums is that they keep it cheaper by placing a small amount of platinum on the electrode and cathode to prevent erosion. By doing that those little metal pieces hold heat longer creating hot spots in your cylinder which could cause KR completely elimating the advantage of a colder ranged plug. If they are solid then they should be great.
#31791 - 03/23/04 02:22 AM Re: Are my mods OK
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Loc: Oklahoma city
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Terrapin,

Good shopping looks good to me. Man I wish I had the cash to get all that. Enjoy your ride. I live vicariously through those who can mod their cars.
I really didnt spend that much considering.
Ubend resonator removal=$50
180F T-stat=$12
NGK TR55 plugs=$9
TB spacer=$39
3.4 SC pulley=$59
K&N 9"cone=$50
Custom FWI=$10 (Had made for free by okc club gp president and had to buy 45 and 90 degree angle ABS thermal plastic street elbows and cone. He had it dynoed and has as much gain as the Wizair from ZZP and he is helping change the pulley for free.)
All this for a grand total of $230!!! Just shop around and check with people in your area. I have found all the people in all the GP clubs to be very helpful and extremely nice. cheers I ordered my pulley and TB from ZZP. They are having a sale on alot of stuff right now!
cheers
#31792 - 03/23/04 07:48 AM Re: Are my mods OK
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Quote:
I have found all the people in all the GP clubs to be very helpful and extremely nice.
That's good to hear. I've found the same to be pretty much true in just about any of our clubs. There's always someone willing to roll their sleeves up and get dirty working on someone else's car.

The only time that gets to be an issue (and I've seen this too) is when a club member shows up at meet after meet asking other members to do the work for them and then stands back and watches. That get's old real quick. I've wrenched on a lot of other members cars and am willing to spend all day helping if need be, provided I'm helping someone who's just as willing to sweat. That's when the fun starts!

Good luck,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#31793 - 03/23/04 12:59 PM Re: Are my mods OK
EnYgMa Offline
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hi HercMan,

I'm not sure if they are solid or not. They are the AC-Delco Iridium plugs that are made by NGK. If that helps, then great. However, the boxes for the plugs are at home.
#31794 - 03/28/04 08:40 PM Re: Are my mods OK
terapinn2000GTP Offline
OK I got it all put on and it is running great. Major difference. I love it!!! We hooked up that palm pilt computer to my car and checked it all out. I only have 0.7 KR at the most and am not running too lean or too rich!!! I just have to get the down pipe removed for top end speed and it will all be perfect. Thank you all very much for all your help.
#31795 - 03/29/04 08:27 AM Re: Are my mods OK
HercMan(Rob) Offline
cool!!!!
#31796 - 04/01/04 02:18 PM Re: Are my mods OK
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
HEY TERRAPINN just wondering, did you keep your stock mufflers ? did you notice incressed dronne in the cabin after U-bend & resonator delete?
#31797 - 04/05/04 11:06 PM Re: Are my mods OK
terapinn2000GTP Offline
I kept the stock mufflers and just took a trip from okc to dallas for NASCAR and did not notice a thing. Neither did the guy sitting in the back seat. I think it makes the exhaust sound a little better but nothing in the cabin. The resonator isnt very restrictive and only give about 2hp but I think it sounds better without it.
#31798 - 04/05/04 11:10 PM Re: Are my mods OK
terapinn2000GTP Offline
I would suggest the Ubend removal before doing any other mods though. It is so restrictive and doing other mods before this might cause KR. There is a local muffler shop here that will put on a 3"down pipe and U-bend removal for under $100. That alone will get you close to 15 hp without any other mods. It is also highly suggested before going with a 3.4 SC pulley. I was getting about 5* of KR at around 60mph before I replaced the down pipe. Now I have under 1* or none.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3