Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31910 - 08/09/02 05:58 AM Back seat of coupe question
99gpgt Offline
Loc: cleveland
How do you take out the back seat? Are there bolts or is it just locked in by somthing else? I havent looked
thanks
#31911 - 08/09/02 11:19 AM Re: Back seat of coupe question
stripedbadger Offline
Loc: Greenville, Ohio
Taken from a stereo upgrade page I had saved from soemwhere....

There are two nylon pulls under it's front edge. They release the front of the seat. I found that they will release easier if you place some weight on the seat directly over them as you pull on them firmly but steadily. Don't tug on them sharply, or they may break. Once you feel that they've released pull up on the seat's front. You can then slide the seat bottom forward and remove it from the car. Once the seat bottom is removed, the seat-back comes next. The seat-back is held in place with four nuts. Two smaller ones about 8 to 12 inches from the side doors, and two large ones near the middle that also hold the inner seat belts in. Take note of the orientation of the seat belts before you pull them out so you can put them back in the same way. Once all the nuts and the two belt assemblies are removed you can pull out on the bottom of the seat-back and move the entire seat-back up to release four wire hooks that anchor the top. I struggled with it for a while, because the bottom anchors kept slipping back over the protruding bolt studs as I pulled up. What helped was the following: Pull out a little on the seat-back until it clears the bolts, and then slip the nuts underneath and thread them backwards on the bolts. The nuts used have washers attached to them, so what I mean by backwards is, have the washers facing out. So when the nuts are in backward, behind the seat, they will prevent it from going back over the studs. You can then concentrate on yanking up without worrying about the seat getting hung up on the bolts. This also makes sure that you don't misplace the nuts until you need them when you put the seat back in. Once the seat is out, the rear deck cover comes next. There are two nylon fasteners on it's front portion that need to be removed. Fortunately, these are not the self-destructing type. Once the fasteners are out, the deck cover can be coached out. You don't need to remove the lower side trim on either side to remove it.