Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32854 - 03/31/05 10:57 PM last of tranny i promise!!
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
I took it yesterday to refill (the tranny fluid)and of course it needed 3 liters, then they check the engine oil and guess what?, it was overfilled with around 2 liters, they say they never has seen a car that passes fluid from the tranny to the engine, but they talk about an piece that i don't even remember the name in spanish but it goes to the right of the air filter, and has a small hose that goes to the accel. body, it is like a wire but it supose to has just air, and they think that it could be passing fluid trough this thin hose, by the way this hose was very damaged and it was sucking air, so my car feels a little bit better but is it possible, do you know which piece i'm talking about? is a kind of valvle of compression for the trans, and it has to be something with the speed control...

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#32855 - 03/31/05 11:27 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
confused
You've got transmission fluid flowing into your engine crankcase?
If you've been driving around with your oil over filled with tranmission fluid, that's not a good thing for your engine.
...so, you've got transmission fluid flowing into your engine crankcase?
confused

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#32856 - 04/01/05 01:31 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
now that! is a first.
#32857 - 04/05/05 04:37 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
Alex Offline
Sorry i have a lot of work out the office and couldn't get in the forum.

About my tranny, it seems to be this fluid going into my engine, but haven't confirmed this, my mechanic says that he hasn't seen this before, but is a possibility, sometime i isk about thi and you told me it was impossible...
Is it impossible???

My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#32858 - 04/14/05 04:23 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
Alex Offline
I will take my car to a shop cause it is leaking trans fluid to the engine oil, they say that is from a valve they call "SERVO VALVE",
This is between the air filter and the engine cover, a little low over there.

Can you tell me where exactly can a trans send fluid to the engine oil???

#32859 - 04/15/05 06:21 AM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
No No No ,even if it was possible for a vacum line to draw trans. fluid into the intake you would be burning the fluid and have a massive cloud of smoke trailing ,your mechanic is el-stupido, whoever is serviceing your car is fu--ed up ,it would be better if you would learn to do your own service or find a shop that does'nt employ idiots.
#32860 - 04/15/05 12:53 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
Alex Offline
So, i'm very confused!!!, in fact my tranny is loosing fluid level and the oil engine is increasing in the same way...another mechanic (not the estupido)is changing right now a vacum valve, this mechanic worked 15 years in a FORD engine manufacturer, i know GM is different but he should know something right?, I'm not putting youraknowledgement to discussion, but WHAT ELSE COULD BE??? In the mornings when i start and even during the day when starting i let a lot of white thick smoke , could this be???

#32861 - 04/16/05 06:02 AM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Sorry Alex you did'nt say you had a cloud of smoke when you start your car,now be clear here what year is your car if it is a 97 then your trans. is a 4t60e and is partially vacuum operated ,although I doubt it ,it may be possible for the vacuum modulator to revert fluid to the engine if this is the case simply change the external modulator ,hope this helps ,Chico.
#32862 - 04/16/05 10:21 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
pgp2000gt Offline
Loc: Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
What year and model is your GP?

I ask beacuse the earlier (1996) 3.1/4t60 combos had a vaccum modulator, that could run trans fluid into the air intake, but most of it would burn off (and possibly help to clean the chamber) because it isn't a very big hose. It would be atomized like a venturi setup in a carb.

Mexican GP's may be different all together, and who knows, maybe it would seep down into the crankcase - not as implausible as you might think
#32863 - 04/20/05 08:30 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
Alex Offline
Hi, yes is a GT 97, this modulator has been changed, in fact, there was trans fuid at the end of this thin hose that connects into the engine.i'm in a business trip right now so i haven't drove my car to notice if it worked, but, just when i was going to the shop last friday i notice it is not shifting to 4th, or i have to rev it for several seconds then it shifts, but in a large track (this start happening before i changed this modulator, and after changing it it was the same... kooky

#32864 - 04/20/05 09:15 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
pgp2000gt Offline
With the modulator trans fluid can get in the engine, yes. I say swap it out.
#32865 - 04/27/05 09:35 AM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
Alex Offline
Now, usually the shifting from 2 to 3 was around 2800 revs, in a regular driving now it takes 3800, somebody told me about an overdrive sensor, any idea?
How many gears do our cars have, mremember mine is GT 97.

Thankscheers

#32866 - 04/27/05 04:24 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I asked about the gears a while back on another thread, to paraphrase Austin: 1,2,3,3OD,4,4OD This is for 4t65e.
#32867 - 04/27/05 05:27 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
Alex Offline
and is this the 97 gt tranny??
and why since 2 weeks ago i need to rev my car to shift to 3d, around 3800 rpm instead of 2800 rpm ?

#32868 - 04/27/05 07:08 PM Re: last of tranny i promise!!
pgp2000gt Offline
if the modulator is flowing fluid then that means it is not working at all. It takes engine vacuum, and pulls on a valve in the transmission valve body, and that alters shift points through varying line pressure, and opening and closing of hydraulic circuits. Once the diaphragm in the modulator is broken, it cannot pull on the valve, so the car defaults to a "limp mode" so you can drive it, it just wont work as well, and may cause added slipping, and of course, erratic shifting.

I think you may have a 4T60e, which is a four speed. The 4 means 4 speeds; T means Transverse mounted; 60 means "torque angle", or how much torque the assembly can withstand; e means it is electronically controlled. With the 4T65e again the 4 means 4 speed; T means Transverse; 65 is the "torque angle" (this doesn't mean it is a beefed up 4T60, they're two different things); and again e is for electronic. Some 4T60's had vacuum modulators along with electronic control solenoids - giving them the "e" designation, but they weren't entirely electronic. The 4T65e is.

Get the modulator checked/replaced and see how it performs.