Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3302 - 06/10/07 05:46 AM New here and already have questions :- D
Letha Offline
Loc: TN
Hey all, I purchased a 97 Grand Prix GT yesterday.. Overall i'm very happy with the car I just have noticed a few things i need to attend to..

First off I noticed that while driving there is a slight flutter in the instrument lights.. It's not like a off and on blinking but it's almost like the power isn't constant, more of a pulse.. It does have aftermarket gauges but the pulse is also in the stock components like the AC panel.. Anyways if anybody has experienced this i would love to here some input on the subject..

2nd, I noticed that i was smelling a little bit of burning oil on start up.. Nothing huge and no smoke but just enough to draw my attention.. I checked it out and it appears that maybe i need to replace the valve cover gasket.. I have read on here something about the 3800 having some issues with gaskets. Just curious before i make this fix has anybody got any advice as to making it a little more reliable if this is a common problem.

Thanks, Letha(--)
#3303 - 06/10/07 05:54 AM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
1997grandprixgtpsaginawmi Offline
Loc: Saginaw MI
im about to go to bed, but the first problem I had that problem. Youve got a bad alternator I guarnantee it. I broke the connector on my alternator once and I nig rigged it. Well it did exactly waht your talking about. I suppose it could also be a bad ground or bad battery as well. just check those easy places first. Check for corrosion on the terminals. Im really tired though. Need sleep ZZZZ peace
#3304 - 06/10/07 09:19 AM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Check around the valve covers for signs of oil leaking. They're not a hard job, maybe 2-3 hours.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#3305 - 06/10/07 10:14 AM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Get your Alt and batt checked ASAP!

If it dies it's going to take your battery with it just like mine did this week.

If the Alt and batt are good, it may be a bad ground.

Be back, gettin my honey McD's for breakfast.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#3306 - 06/10/07 11:01 AM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
It could be a bigger problem, as the guys stated or something as simple as a loose connector. Only way to find out is to take your time tracing it. Do your headlights dim as well? That would pretty much seal the deal.

As for valve cover gaskets, unfortunately there is nothing you can really do to prolong their life. It's just a flaw of the design.
#3307 - 06/10/07 11:13 AM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
Richard Candelario Offline
x2 with the alt/batt checks and replacement.

The valve cover gaskets, I dunno about 2 hours, but it will take a lil time gettin the number 2 bank cover in and out of there. Easy job, just time consuming.

Welcome to the board. use the search feature and HercMans website. they are godsends.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#3308 - 06/10/07 12:19 PM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Well like everyone said about the alt. batt. check, Valve cover gaskets are relativily easy to replace, a trick for the back ones, is undo the dogbones and pull the engine fwd, also check your upper and lower intake gaskets... those are known to go out also. If you have the time and money, I would say replace upper and lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, TB gasket, and Injector O'Rings.
#3309 - 06/10/07 01:47 PM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by ifitwasnt4u:
If you have the time and money, I would say replace upper and lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, TB gasket, and Injector O'Rings.
Definitely not a bad idea, if you have the know how. Preventative maintenance keeps the car and the driver happy!

'97 SE with alot of mods
#3310 - 06/10/07 01:55 PM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Yup, you don't want to replace the valve cover gaskets and 3 months down the road have a intake gasket fail and have to tear it all down again.
#3311 - 06/10/07 02:21 PM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
Letha Offline
Wow this is a active board!!! Thanks for all the replies guys..

It could be the alternator and battery i guess but to awnser one of the questions, No the lights are very bright.. My truck I just sold had 8500 Xenon lights in it and i noticed that the GP had better lights..

As far as the know how i have a good bit of mechanical ability.. Here is a few pictures of my first love.. I built this from the ground up.. Did all the paint work and built the motor.. Just waiting on my pipes to get back from the chromer then i'm going to start fixing up the GP a little.. This is also how i got my screen name lol..

#3312 - 06/10/07 03:35 PM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
That thing is pretty cool! I have no idea what it is though! lol

Welcome to the forums. Everyone pretty much answered your questions already!

Is there any oil around the valve covers?
#3313 - 06/10/07 05:08 PM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Thats awesome! Would love to go out to the Dunes in So Cal and rip it up!
#3314 - 06/10/07 08:04 PM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
Letha Offline
ord, Yeah thats where the oil is.. Around the front valve cover and it just drips on to the manifold.. BTW, it's a 4mm stroker cheetah cub cylinder in my banshee laugh

My little bro has a set of black 18's with a chrome lip that's a uni 5 that i'm hoping to buy from him..Mine is the white color so i think i'm going to accent with black
#3315 - 06/10/07 08:07 PM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
Dude that thing is awesome. I love the grill with the chainsaws. Man are you gonna carry a theme like that through your GP somehow?
#3316 - 06/11/07 12:57 AM Re: New here and already have questions :- D
Letha Offline
You know i'm actually going to put a hidden hitch in the back and use the GP to tow it.. The 3800 has plenty of power to do it.. The banshee is lightened and everything and weighs a little more than 300lbs so it shouldn't be a issue at all.. Doesn't bother me at all that it might look slightly redneck lol.. I was 16 when this body style GP came out and fell in love with them then..

For the car i'm just going to go with a sleek look..It's white with tinted windows.. First thing tommorow i'm going to pull the pin stripe off then assess the valve cover gasket situation.. As far as mod's it's already got a few.. Short Ram intake with a K&N, Some type of aftermarket guages, tinted windows and a motorized faced panasonic CD player.. I added a 800 watt amp and my MA audio 120XE 12" sub today.. Real good sound quality on a trip this morning..

My plans though are to get some decals for the front rear bumper where it says pontiac, change the exhaust tip(not the mufflers just add a nicer tip), a nice set of 5 spoke wheels, and drop it a inch or 2.. Other than that i'm just trying to make a real clean car..

Speaking of wheels though what kinda limitations are you guys having with size and offset.. I'm wanting something that fills the wheel well up nice but doesn't run into any rubbing issues.. Keep in mind it will be dropped a inch or 2 with some eibach springs