Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33219 - 10/09/03 10:38 AM Foggy Headlights
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
When I bought my car in May, my headlights were as clear as can be. Within the last couple of months I've noticed that they have become slightly foggy, drivers side more than the pass. side. Is there any way to get rid of this fogginess in the headlights?
I've installed a pair of smoke headlight covers to hide the fogginess, but the fog does have an effect when I use my headlights (with covers off).
Aside from paying $120.00 for a new set of headlight housings, is there an easy fix to this problem?

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#33220 - 10/09/03 11:34 AM Re: Foggy Headlights
Nebulus Offline
Loc: Kansas City
NO, there's really no way to fix the problem. I've got a light that picks up a little moisture as well, but the price for a new lamp is too much to worry about.

If the car's still under warranty, I'd take it in and make the dealer swap out.

I find that on my '97, the headlamps don't do anything but light up the bumper and that's as much good as they do. I pulled the stock fogs out and put some of those super blue, ultra bright ricers fogs in, and I actually have people brighting me they're so good.

I don' even use the brights anymore because the fogs are still better than that.

Other than replacing the fogs, has anybody ever found a way to get around the super weak headlight son the GPs?
#33221 - 10/09/03 11:46 AM Re: Foggy Headlights
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I'd like to know about getting the moisture out also. I have some in my driver's lamp.

On getting more out your headlights, try this thread:
http://www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000923

I'm gonna be doing it soon, I just don't have my car this week............and I procrastinate... no
#33222 - 10/10/03 08:25 PM Re: Foggy Headlights
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
Perhaps you can remove your headlight assembly, remove the bulb, and run a hairdryer to evaporate the moisture?

I think the moisture got in there in the first place, because the seals on the 97 headlights were brittle. Once you evaporate the moisture, your should reseal the lense. That should do it...
#33223 - 10/11/03 10:12 PM Re: Foggy Headlights
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
i read somewhere that in 99 or 00 they fixed the problem of moisture in the assembly. a couple months ago, i was riding down the road on my way to our farm, made a left turn and heard something hit the ground since i had my windows down. got to our farm to open the gate, and noticed looking at the car the right front headlight lens cover was missing. went back up to the road and there it was sitting on the side of the road.

make a long story short, i super-glued it back on and now i have no more moisture in there. only thing is now that where the glue ran in excess a little bit on the inside, made a couple white spots. anyways, i have one light with no mositure and the left one has some.
dhp 1.0
#33224 - 10/11/03 11:26 PM Re: Foggy Headlights
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan R:
I think the moisture got in there in the first place, because the seals on the 97 headlights were brittle. Once you evaporate the moisture, your should reseal the lense. That should do it...
I think I might try this. Sounds like a good idea. Anything recommended for resealing? Super glue worked alright for snowcrash, should I look for anything better? No offense.
#33225 - 10/12/03 12:14 AM Re: Foggy Headlights
rubberman Offline
Loc: Evansville,Indiana
Mine arent as clear as new either. They are all scuffed up from bugs and other road debris. Nothing to do about it unless i buy the new housings.
#33226 - 10/12/03 02:07 AM Re: Foggy Headlights
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan R:
[b] I think the moisture got in there in the first place, because the seals on the 97 headlights were brittle. Once you evaporate the moisture, your should reseal the lense. That should do it...
I think I might try this. Sounds like a good idea. Anything recommended for resealing? Super glue worked alright for snowcrash, should I look for anything better? No offense. [/b]
oh, no offense taken. superglue will hold a good amount of stuff together, but just don't use too much of it. also maybe a 2-part epoxy would work for it, used it alot. there prolly is something else out there to use, but it's what i had at the time and didn't know what else to use. i just didn't want to be driving to school and a rock hit my bulb or the bulb break for some reason. it looks bad too missing the lens.
dhp 1.0
#33227 - 10/12/03 02:17 PM Re: Foggy Headlights
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
Super Glue? eek
Just kidding....

Personally I would have used some sort of silicone sealant. There was once a TSB on this problem, that called for a specific sealant (which they started using on the 98+ GPs), to seal the lense. Someone posted this into the "original" mailing list, but I couldn't find it. But plain old clear silicone sealant should work really well. It should also allow you to remove the lense later, too if it necessary. I found a post on this mailing list, (don't know how to link it, but you can search for headlight sealant), where someone else recommended the same thing. They even said using a screwdriver you can pry your lense off, and reseal the entire thing with silicone sealant, to prevent the "inevitable" moisture problem in your other headlight...

cheers
#33228 - 10/22/03 07:20 PM Re: Foggy Headlights
Combat Commuter Offline
Loc: Brighton, MI
I saw an offer for replacement headlight housings from some guy who claimed they were made by the same outfit that supplies Pontiac. They were offered for $65 each. At that price I have to wonder if they are selling defective units that Pontiac rejects. Anyone have any experience with these?
#33229 - 10/23/03 11:57 AM Re: Foggy Headlights
PORKCHOP Offline
Loc: MALTA, N.Y.
just received my 2 headlight housing from gmpartsdirect $107.00 inc shipping. Got them in 3 days. Both of mine were getting moisture, and one had been replaced a few years ago when the lens fell off. These new housings are OEM GM They are nice and clear(FOR AWHILE). Easy to install, may have to have your lights adj. thumbsup P'CHOP
#33230 - 10/31/03 11:37 AM Re: Foggy Headlights
Combat Commuter Offline
Loc: Brighton, MI
I guess the $65 a piece units aren't the way to go. I'll give a look at gmpartsdirect.

Thanx Porkchop!
#33231 - 10/31/03 06:14 PM Re: Foggy Headlights
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
get ones for 99 and up to ensure you get the better sealed headlight assemblies
#33232 - 10/31/03 07:07 PM Re: Foggy Headlights
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
Silicone is the way to go. As far as getting the lights to work better, I adjusted mine down a bit and they work fine now. Just park in front of a garage door or a big wall, open the hood and adjust the lights down with a screwdriver until they are where you want them by turning the adjustment screws(they are just above the headlights).

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP