Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34653 - 09/29/04 01:56 AM Re: Who has heard this rattle?
bladecap Offline
Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
For the record guys, the noise I got was not a "clunk", but more like a rattle....very "tinny". It didn't sound like anything with weight on it or attached to something associated with a spring or such. I've now changed out the struts and sway bar, which was on "hold" until I found the problem......and I found it....brake pads! I shimmed the pads and....all went quiet. I'm in the mood for the new larger rotors and pads anyway, so that's the next project. If I'm going to get more speed, I want better braking.

Thanks guys for all the input. At least I'm not dealing with a bunch of dummies. So take a bow and that comes from a one-time NHRA title-holder in C-Gas.....but that was back "when the air was clean and sex was dirty". laugh
#34654 - 09/29/04 08:34 AM Re: Who has heard this rattle?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I recently changed my rotors to drilled/slots. When I went on a test drive I noticed a tiny high pitched "rattle" type noise. Narrowed it down to the front right. Took everything apart and the clip that holds the pads in was bent just a titch, enough to barley make contact with the rotor.

As I began to read your above post, Blade, that was the first thing I thought of...brake pads.

Glad you found your problem and got it fixed!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#34655 - 09/29/04 12:22 PM Re: Who has heard this rattle?
EnYgMa Offline
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
That's interesting.

I'll check for that when we put up the car to do the brakes.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving pretty fast on a road and it suddenly dipped and I got a pretty good bounce on the front left side. I noticed a sound like you guys are describing, but it seemed to go away.

I do want to change out the struts/mounts in the spring anyway...

Austin, don't you scrape your chin spoiler on the parking islands? I don't have that, but I scrape the grey plastic protector every now and then, I can't imagine having one like yours...looks great though!
#34656 - 10/03/04 02:10 PM Re: Who has heard this rattle?
bladecap Offline
Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Further to the rattle problem, I have also found this out and will pass it along. While looking at the wheel you'll see two small metal tabs sticking out on each side of the calipers on the outside. These metal tabs are the ends of a metal plate that is attached to the brake caliper and are underneath the brake pads. If that plate works itself loose, the calipers have to be taken off, the pads removed and the plate R & R'd. It ain't a cheap job either.

So if one wants to find out if this is the problem, then do this. Find a small piece of carboard and shim it in between the tab and the caliper. If you find the slightest decrease in noise and rattle, then you found the problem. Put up with it until you need your brake job and then do it all at once. If you can't wait that long, then get out that MC and be prepared to say "ouch". Hope this helps someone that is still scratching their head about where the rattle is coming from. It's something worth checking anyway.
#34657 - 10/03/04 03:55 PM Re: Who has heard this rattle?
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
Quote:
Originally posted by YOURNAME:
HEY GENTELMEN
I HAVE RAN ACCROSS THIS PROBLEM MANY MANY TIMES. THE BOLT INSIDE THE FRONT SWAYBAR LINKS RUST & BREAK, THE PLASTIC & RUBBER LOOK LIKE THEY ARE IN GOOD SHAPE BUT THEY CLUNK, SOMTIMES INTERMITTENT. CRAWL UNDER WITH A RUBBER MALLOT & TAP THE SWAY BAR LINK. ITS A COMMON MISTAKE TO THINK ITS THE STRUTS BECAUSE MOST MECHANICS REPLACE THE SWAY BUSHINGS AT THE SAME TIME
I still think this is my problem, the sound that I was hearing was definately not a "tiny" sound. I havn't had a chance to look into this yet but I will definately let you guys know if this was it when I have my car re-aligned and have them check my sway bushings

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2