Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34785 - 10/26/05 01:53 PM Code Help
Caesar Offline
Loc: Michigan
I recently have had some trouble with my GP lunging and stalling. I had it scanned (when I had the tranny serviced) and they gave me the code P0171. I was told that this meant: Fuel System Too Lean Bank 1. I'm not sure what to do next. I don't want to take it to a shop if there is something that I can do to fix it. I thought that the fuel rail and/or injectors may be clogged, but my problem does not occur all the time. Any suggestions? Thanks
#34786 - 10/26/05 01:58 PM Re: Code Help
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Sounds like you're running too lean.

Check the fuel regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, bad O2 sensor or even a bad MAF sensor.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#34787 - 10/26/05 09:33 PM Re: Code Help
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

I agree with framos.... It could also be a vacuum leak.
I'd start with Maintenence items, and no cost items....
Fuel Filter
O2 Sensor
Clean the MAF Sensor and EGR Valve.
If you still have problems, check your Fuel Pressure. FPR's are about $50, but FP's are on the spendy side, and pending on the year of your car, can be a pain to replace.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#34788 - 10/27/05 12:24 AM Re: Code Help
Caesar Offline
Thanks to Framos and Crimpton for your input. I finally had some time to look into my problem tonight. I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body. Cleaned it really well...started it up, and it ran like it used to...smooth. The real test will be tomorrow, but I'm confident that the problem is gone (for now). This website http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0171-system-too-lean-bank-1-oxygen-sensor.php
had info and possible causes for the code. This info helped to reinforce what you guys told me.

The main website page http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ has code information on GM, Ford, and Subaru vehicles.
Thanks a bunch cheers
#34789 - 10/27/05 12:29 AM Re: Code Help
Caesar Offline
I forgot to add that apparently the MAF sensor can get clogged or gummed up due to oiled air filters (K&N, etc.) Just thought I would let everyone know

thumbsup
#34790 - 10/27/05 10:33 AM Re: Code Help
framos242 Offline
Glad to hear your back to where you were running... smooth. thumbsup
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

#34791 - 11/02/05 11:54 AM Re: Code Help
Caesar Offline
Well, It's back to the same ol' problems. Took it in and found out that it's the MAF sensor. At least I'll have it fixed (finally).
#34792 - 11/02/05 12:12 PM Re: Code Help
framos242 Offline
Good to go.