Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3561 - 07/08/05 09:55 AM Re: Going to the track
BonnevilleLover Offline
Loc: Kuwait/Iraq
Yes that is a good question for the more experienced here. I never did that with my Grand National because I had a K&N Filter. It was such a PITA to remove and put back.

Does it make a huge difference on the GP?
#3562 - 07/08/05 09:59 AM Re: Going to the track
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
It'll help.

Remember, when you remove the headlight, you're allowing a greater air flow into the CAI (or whatever set up) which in turn lets more colder air in.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#3563 - 07/08/05 10:40 AM Re: Going to the track
GillysGTPSS Offline
Loc: Gananoque, ON, Canada
Well, usually at this track you get 2 or 3 runs in a night, maybe i will do a run with the headlight in and one with it out, see what kinda difference it would make. I see what you are saying Framos. My filter sits right in behind the headlight, I can understand it would increase the air flow, but with the little mods I have, would it really help that much? New at this racing thing, trying to learn all I can

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#3564 - 07/08/05 01:41 PM Re: Going to the track
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
removing the MAF screen is suppose to give better air flow through the TB. it hasent hurt my car so i whould suggest it to everybody. but i guess it makes some cars idle rough

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#3565 - 07/08/05 01:55 PM Re: Going to the track
kustomkid54 Offline
Loc: Florida
I've never removed headlights. And would never remove screen.
#3566 - 07/08/05 03:18 PM Re: Going to the track
GillysGTPSS Offline
alright, to much work at the track to take out the MAf screen at the track, but I will try the headlight

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#3567 - 07/08/05 11:05 PM Re: Going to the track
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

We have cars in our club with Ram Air Hoods that still remove the headlight...... I ran for over a year with out removing my headlight, and finally someone talked me into it....... Needless to say, I never race with my headlight in anymore. If it's your first time at the track, you may not be able to compare runs with, and without the headlight. Unless you are a natural at hooking up.... You will need to make several runs with, and without to judge for yourself.

Here's what I do to prep. my car for racing.
1. Remove the spare tire, and jack.
2. Remove the Headlight.
3. Remove fuse #28.
4. Drop front tires to 28PSI.
5. Raise rear tires to 45PSI.
6. Remove Engine Cover, and make sure everything is out of the car.

Here's what I do while staging.
1. Have the Heater running to help keep engine temps down.
2. Make sure Perf. Shift is ON, Everytime!
3. Drive around the Water Box.
4. "Scrape my tires" by breaking them loose a bit just before the lights.
5. Turn the Climate Control off.
6. Stage as shallow as possible.
7. Power Brake with Left Foot on Brake and Right into the Throttle about 2K RPM's.
8. Launch Just after the last yellow illuminates...... If I launch as soon as I see it, I red light everytime.

http://pdxcgp.com
#3568 - 07/08/05 11:37 PM Re: Going to the track
GillysGTPSS Offline
Thanks for the advice Clint, will have to wait for a while, got rained out banghead

#3569 - 07/09/05 12:46 AM Re: Going to the track
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by GillysGTPSS:
Thanks for the advice Clint, will have to wait for a while, got rained out banghead
Doh!!!

I know the feeling.
Living in the NW US, we get a few rainouts.... wink
We are having a huge event at the end of July involving several clubs from several States, I can only hope that weather cooperates.

http://pdxcgp.com
#3570 - 07/09/05 01:50 AM Re: Going to the track
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
Hey crimpton, don't forget to add to the list of pre track runs:

1) Rapid Heart Beat
2) Kick Azz Adrenalin Rush !!!!

My first time 4mos ago, I was a nervous wreck..... cheers
#3571 - 07/09/05 09:40 AM Re: Going to the track
GillysGTPSS Offline
I have just been so anxious to get out there and seew hat the car can do, both times we had no rain for 2 weeks, and then, of course the day I am supposed to go, it rains and thunderstorms crazy

#3572 - 07/09/05 09:52 AM Re: Going to the track
GtCombination Offline
Loc: New York
Quick question etc. Im not sure if it was just my stock pcm or other. But several attemps to rev the piss out of the engine in 1rst position ( 2year bumper to bumper including engine and drivetrain ) When ever i reached Just before 6k it'd shift by itself. (1997 GPGT) My engines already been replaced though and im not as foolish as i used to be. But is that common? Self shifting outta 1rst auto. Another quickie i had was do they keep the same displays on the gp's as for perf shift? My freind has no option to my know abouts yet his display has it, never lit.

" A true REAL mod takes longer than 1 hour to install"
" Dont like it then smile like a donut "
#3573 - 07/09/05 10:02 AM Re: Going to the track
GillysGTPSS Offline
As far as I know they did not put the perf. shift on the 2001 + models, and maybe other ones as well (mine doesn't have it its 2001), but my display still shows it on the dash board

#3574 - 07/09/05 03:55 PM Re: Going to the track
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
01 and up perf shift is always on. It's part of the pcm programing. GM was just too cheap to change guage clusters to reflect the changes. And yes under WOT conditions it's not supposed to shift until about 5800 rpms or there abouts.
#3575 - 07/10/05 05:35 AM Re: Going to the track
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Also, if you look carefully, the Ins panels and DIC's are all the same, I think. there should be a little space in the upper left of the Ins. panel that says, "Perf. Shift". on the 98s, that was where it was located in a little blue light that is almost impossible to see in the daylight (right Herc?), contrary to every other year, where it is located in the DIC as "Performance Shift" under the diagram of the car. at least it has been that way on every GTP that I have been in. Don't know this to be 100% true, but it sounds like GM to do this exact thing, everybody knows that they've done similar things before to other cars!!!
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >