Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35961 - 03/12/04 03:03 PM Engine Cutting out, Stalling, Dying
natamatt Offline
Loc: Illinois
Having an intermittant issue with my '97 GT. About once every month or so the engine will stall, die, cut out. It has restarted every time in the last year so far.

Several years ago I had a similar problem that was accompanied by my tach dropping to 0 rpms. Thanks to this list it was identified as the crank position sensor.

A couple weeks ago it died 4 times on the way into work so I figured it was time to have it looked at and so I took it in to the dealer. As before they couldn't duplicate it and I recommended they check the crank position sensor. They said it looked fine and didn't think replacing it would help. Needless to say 3 days later the engine died again on the way into work so back it went. This time they did replace the crank position sensor and so I thought all was well until last weekend it happened again. The dealer has been driving it all week waiting for it to happen since no codes ever show up but it has yet to happen.

In searching the archives I found references to similar problems being caused by the fuel pump relay or fuel pump relay resistor and a faulty ingnition module ground. When it goes back again next week I will have them investigate those things. Anything else I should suggest they check since all they seem to want to do is drive my car until it happens again.

I am considering getting an Autotap but am not sure this would ultimately tell me anything. Anyone know if they can be rented for a few weeks from somewhere?

Thanks,
-Matt
#35962 - 03/12/04 04:19 PM Re: Engine Cutting out, Stalling, Dying
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay/resistor. I dont know if anyone rents the autotaps. I'd say find a local GP club maybe a member can loan ya one.
#35963 - 03/12/04 04:27 PM Re: Engine Cutting out, Stalling, Dying
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I think most autozone stores carry a diagnostic code checker and I believe they'll hook up and check your car for free...at least they do here in VA...I dont how similar the systems are but I had a similar problem with my Dodge Intrepid, it kept happening more often and never showed a code omitted until it died and wouldnt restart. It was the cam position sensor. I'm still on the learning curve with the GP 3.8 so I don't even know if it has a cam sensor...I took the Dodge to 3 different shops before I found a local guy (not a dealer) who was actually an effective trouble shooter...this sounds a little crazy but you can most always find whos really good at this kind of thing by how busy his shop stays...this guy I found here keeps at least a day or two backlog of work. You may have to make an appointment, but its worth the wait. Evidently a lot of other folks think so too or his place wouldnt stay so packed. good luck find in out the prob, I know intermitent stuff like this can be a real pain.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#35964 - 03/12/04 05:21 PM Re: Engine Cutting out, Stalling, Dying
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
A "code checker" or even a professional scan tool isn't going to help you much, especially in an intermittent problem like yours. What you need is something that you can look at live data with, when the car is acting up. A fuel pump or relay problem will not usually show up on a scanner anyways. The dealer doesn't want to do a whole lot, mainly because it's hard to diagnose something when the car isn't acting up. In this type of case, you're just basically guessing, which can get expensive. I'd maybe look at the TSBs for a 97 Grand Prix, even though the dealer should have done that already. This basically tells you if other GP's from this year have had a problem like yours, and GM will list what the correct repair has been.
#35965 - 03/12/04 05:39 PM Re: Engine Cutting out, Stalling, Dying
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Here is the temp fix for the resistor. Id buy a new one and plug it in and see if it works. Here are the P/N off the other list. Not sure if they are still current. AND the temp fix if you are stranded. Im thinking of getting a spare resistor and tossing it in the glovebox.

Fuel Pump Resistor 10422108 GM Dealer $20 - $25

Fuel Pump Resitor Kit 88951182 www.grandautoparts.com $26
This is the complete kit to replace the fuel pump resistor. Includes: Resistor Zip Tires Wiring Harness

Purpose: Many people have been left stranded with a car that doesn't run at all or at best idles for a few seconds and then dies. Most of the time it's happened to some unwary GPer sitting at a light... they turn to go, move a few feet and the car dies, or it dies a few seconds after starting. This is the fault of the fuel pump resistor. This offending piece is located (on my '99 at least) un the fender area BEHIND the battery. If one gets the right angle you can just see it by looking into the fender in that area.

How it is done: Well, the fix is that the fuel resistor needs to be replaced, but if one is on the side of the road with a "dead" car, what can be done? Steve Foster of the OQCGP offered this advice:

Here is what you do. Remove the relay in the underhood electrical center by your battery. The relay should be labeled "f/pmp spd cont relay" or something along those lines. It is supposed to read fuel pump speed control.
Take along a paperclip, and short out pins 30 and 87A. to do this, remove the relay, and where those pins were on the fuse-block, put the paperclip in those 2 positions.

If you do not feel comfortable doing that, another option follows.

Remove the same relay as above. Bend over the one lead of the relay labeled 85 or 86. Either one will work. reinsert relay into original position.

This will get you home hopefully until you can fix it properly.

(This article written up with the assistance of Steve Foster of the OQCGP)
#35966 - 03/12/04 07:26 PM Re: Engine Cutting out, Stalling, Dying
T. Metzger Offline
Loc: Edwards, CO
But remember, if you do try the paperclip trick, pull it out when you've gotten where you need to go, or the fuel pump will just continue to run.
#35967 - 03/13/04 09:35 AM Re: Engine Cutting out, Stalling, Dying
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Also could be a fuse panel resistor. Although, usually with that, the car doesn't start up again.
#35968 - 03/13/04 01:16 PM Re: Engine Cutting out, Stalling, Dying
PORKCHOP Offline
Loc: MALTA, N.Y.
Had a similar problem a few years ago with a '97. The dealer had done some work on the fuel sender. We got the car back and it would sputter, then wouldn't start. They came to get it, tow driver put key in, it started. They couldn't find anything, then the service advisor took it for a couple of days and got stranded. It turned out to be the ground when they were screwing with the connector on the fuel pump. Also had a Grand Am with a connector problem that did the same thing, but it wasn't the fuel connector though.Check your connectors if there has been some work on it. Also need a good ground
This shit will drive ya crazy P'CHOP crazy