Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36912 - 11/08/04 09:42 PM winter tires?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I was looking on tirerack.com last nite at their winter tires...I have no real experience with these but since I make trips north during the winter months and I'm gonna be needing tires pretty soon I thought these might be worth looking into...does anyone here use these tires? especially you guys that live up north?...are they a hard or soft compound?...I'm curious if I put a set on and run them until spring (we only get limited ice and snow here in VA) will they wear quick for everyday driving when the temps are mostly above freezing?...if anyone uses them or doesnt for good reasons I'd like some feedback.
thanx guys!

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#36913 - 11/08/04 10:05 PM Re: winter tires?
fast-L67 Offline
Loc: Billings, MT
good question bat, i recently moved from san diego to billings montana and i need some info on good snow tires for the gp.
#36914 - 11/08/04 10:56 PM Re: winter tires?
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
depending on how many miles you drive and how much it snows, blizzaks are fantastic. Had them on both my Impala SS and 94 trans am and never had a problem in any snow. (used 4 per car not just two on the rear). They werent very good in dry conditions as the tread blocks are soft so you cant drive agressively but you wont ever get stuck in snow and ice. I think you will find this with all winter=only tires.

Id think the new goodyear assurance triple=tread might be a good winter tire. Low speed rating TR which is only to 118mph but how fast are you really going to go in winter right?

Nokian makes a good winter tire too I think.

just some ideas off the top of my head.
#36915 - 11/09/04 12:31 PM Re: winter tires?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Hey bat, If I were you I'd stick with a good all season tire. You won't be in the bad stuff enough to warrant a dedicated snow tire. Up here in Maine my car did just fine on new all seasons. Just find a tire that has some good siping on the tread and you'll be happy.
#36916 - 11/09/04 03:52 PM Re: winter tires?
JoeGPGT Offline
Loc: Greenville NH
Yea like herc said, if your not gunna be in snow that often go with the all season tires.....but i must say i had the Blizzaks on my 88 IROC-Z and they were awesome.
#36917 - 11/10/04 04:56 AM Re: winter tires?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
So it sounds like a good set of all seasons for my factory 16 inchers for the winter months...and then maybe some Zrated hi-po's on 18 inchers...yeah, dats da ticket!

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com