Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36918 - 10/19/06 10:16 AM Wanted: Stock Radio Installer
Inchoate Offline
Loc: Galveston, TX
My stock radio went out recently. I just got another (cheaply from Ebay) and would like to have it installed.

Even though this swap should just be plug-and-play, the last time I worked on one of my rides, my Formula's headers leaked for years; so, I want someone else to do it.

If anyone knows someone who can do a simple stock radio swap (for cheap), and is in the Galveston/South East Houston area, please let me know.

Thx.
#36919 - 10/19/06 01:01 PM Re: Wanted: Stock Radio Installer
SteveOGTP Offline
Loc: reynoldsburg, ohio
try and take it to beat buy or somewere they install audio stuff... should be cheap
#36920 - 10/19/06 06:21 PM Re: Wanted: Stock Radio Installer
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I'll be in Galveston (Bayou Vista) next weekend (28-29). PM me your phone number and if I can get away for a little bit I'll walk you thru it (that means you'll be doing most of the work under my direction laugh ). It's very simple. Pull off the dash trim ring, remove a couple of screws that are holding in the radio, pull the radio out and disconnect the wire harness and antenna wire.
Reinstall is just as simple, only in reverse of course. Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes, for the second time (first times usually take a little longer).

Welcome to GPN! savewave

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#36921 - 10/19/06 06:46 PM Re: Wanted: Stock Radio Installer
20gtp02 Offline
Is really simple. The more you do yourself the more you can learn. Just becareful with the dash, is fragile.

#36922 - 10/19/06 09:02 PM Re: Wanted: Stock Radio Installer
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
dude my girlfriend can install a radio. shes even wired up her own aftermarket HU.

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3
#36923 - 10/19/06 09:04 PM Re: Wanted: Stock Radio Installer
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Extremely easy... Best Buy would overcharge for such a simple job. Bobby explained it perfectly. I'd say at least give her a whirl. smile

'97 SE with alot of mods
#36924 - 10/19/06 09:58 PM Re: Wanted: Stock Radio Installer
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I think the hardest part is yanking out the trim ring once it's detached from the dash. It's one of those things where you have to stick your tongue out just right. Getting it back in is a bit easier, you just wedge it in real hard.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#36925 - 11/04/06 01:32 AM Re: Wanted: Stock Radio Installer
Inchoate Offline
Loc: Galveston, TX
My apologies for not responding to your messages earlier. Both of my cars were flooded last weekend; insurance has just totaled both of them. Looks like the radio install won't be an issue. Although, I guess I should move over to the For Sale forum and sell the radio I just bought.

We got something like 10" of rain --- and in Galveston, where water has no place to recede to, that's dangerous. In the morning, my cars had standing puddles of water in them. Argh!

Thanks for all the kind responses!

P.S.: I'm moving up north (way north) next year. Anyone know a good snow-handling 4x4 thing that gets good/moderate gas mileage that I can buy for less than $25k?