Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37024 - 06/26/07 11:55 AM two problems on the 97 GT...
Jon Szarka Offline
Loc: Philly
Hey guys, I've been putting this off for a long time because I haven't had the money but my fuel gauge is going crazy. When I start my car, the gauge will shoot to the "full" line, and after I drive it for awhile, eventually it will drop down. I never know how much gas I have anymore. I am pretty sure it is the sensor unless someone knows otherwise. I talked to my mechanic and he said that it has something to do with a screw getting jammed in the pump and It would cost like 600 dollars to get it fixed. I told him that I'd rather guesstimate. Does that sound right and could I fix this problem?

The second is my coolant sensor on my 97 GT. That went also and the light is always on with an occasional surprise with it turning off and or flashing. From my previous post I got that it was just filled with crud and either needs to be replaced and or cleaned. Since I need to switch my fluid to the green anyway, I'd figure that I would try and clean the sensor. Should I replace the sensor and see if I can clean it?
Thanks for everyone’s help, you guys always come through and I appreciate that. –Jon
#37025 - 06/26/07 12:01 PM Re: two problems on the 97 GT...
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
About the fuel gauge it probably is the sending unit, and the only fix i've heard is to change the whole pump. Siemens is a client of my office they make pumps for some brands incluiding GM, and they told me in the production line that is an issue that they have never fix.

About your coolant, maybe just cleaning it, you have to drop some coolant to do this, the sensor is at the pass side of the radiator near the battery, but the sensor could be damaged and then you will have to change it, or disconect it to turn the light off.

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#37026 - 06/26/07 12:43 PM Re: two problems on the 97 GT...
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Its your sending unit, I had the same problem and for some reason the sending unit snap in two pieces from what my mechanic told me and I think I paid 78 dollars for the sending unit and labor.
#37027 - 06/26/07 03:35 PM Re: two problems on the 97 GT...
BLEWGTP Offline
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
its because of that butt-head that sold you that car...lol...i told you it was a fixer-upper! haha we'll fix that sensor buddy, but as far as that fuel pump bs, your on your own for that one...and im gettin my car back tonite dude, so watch out when you get back in town!
#37028 - 06/26/07 04:46 PM Re: two problems on the 97 GT...
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Its the sending unit on the fuel pump, if you dont know how to take apart the fuel upmp I sugjest yo utake it to a place that knows how b/c its not as easy as you tink, as for the coolant senor get a new one its like $15 its not worth cleaning then findout out its broken and changeing it again.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#37029 - 06/27/07 12:11 AM Re: two problems on the 97 GT...
Jon Szarka Offline
awesome guys, this cleared it up, and dan i knew it was a fixer lol, thats what ive been doing to it! but anywho ill buy the sensor for the effing coolant, we will flush and change the coolant....and ill somehow get the fuel pump checked.... as for your car tonight!!! im so happy that you ahve it and im just waiting to ride with you on state and the bullivard slash 95 doing 95. now have a nice day and dont crash it, thats what i need for you to pray that me and you dont do when we meet again with both gps.
#37030 - 06/27/07 07:57 AM Re: two problems on the 97 GT...
Hal_396 Offline
Loc: Iowa
I just had the same problem on my 97 GT concerning the fuel gauge. You can get the sending unit separetly for about $110 shipped to your door from these guys: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

You will need to know what your Vin # is when you order because they did a mid year change on them.

To install it, take the carpet out of the trunk. You will see a plate with 7 or so screws in it. Take the plate of and you'll have access to the fuel pump. You'll need some snap ring pliers to get the module out of the tank. The sending unit mounts on the outside of the module. As I recall, there is 2 electrical connectors that snap in place and the sending unit snaps to the side of the module. Its about an hours job and its an easy one.

If you have access to an air compressor, you should blow all the crap of the top of the module before starting. Also, the fuel hoses will need to be disconnected.

The hardest part for me was reinstalling the module. You need to push it down far enough to get the snap ring to lock in place....
#37031 - 06/27/07 06:06 PM Re: two problems on the 97 GT...
BLEWGTP Offline
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
^ jon i think we can do that....
#37032 - 06/27/07 11:22 PM Re: two problems on the 97 GT...
Jon Szarka Offline
ya im pretty sure it wont be much of a problem except the fact that i wont have a car, thats the only problem.