Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37451 - 03/20/05 01:14 PM Re: Bose stereo?
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
i wish i had the bose or some more speakers in the car, it's got decent sound in it, but just needs a few more speakers or something. the old aurora we had didn't have the bose system, but it had speakers in all the doors unlike the gp and i think that made a big difference in sound.
dhp 1.0
#37452 - 03/20/05 01:24 PM Re: Bose stereo?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by Louie:
Is the bose that much better?
I think they are the best "factory" speakers I've ever had in a car.

When I got my HU installed, the guys at the installation shop were very impressed as well. They said the speakers in the doors were mounted at the perfect angles, and the sound from the speakers was excellent. They said it's amazing how far auto companies have come with their audio systems in the past ten years. They are rivaling after market systems for sound quality in some cases.
#37453 - 03/20/05 03:11 PM Re: Bose stereo?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
That's why I'm in no hurry to change mine out.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#37454 - 03/20/05 09:39 PM Re: Bose stereo?
WYTHE Offline
Loc: Campbell River B.C.
I dont have the bose speakers in my car but the ones I have sound pretty damn good. I think their better than the 4 inch and 6x9 clarion speakers that I had in my cavalier.
#37455 - 03/21/05 02:04 AM Re: Bose stereo?
KyleGT Offline
Loc: Madison, WI
These stock ones are nice, but I can never resist some good ol fashioned Alpine speakers

Galaxy Silver Metallic 2001 GT ~ 70k miles Eclipse CD5425 deck, Eclipse & Kenwood speakers, Silverstars, rear bumper inlays, debadged, Flowmaster Super 40s and Gibson tips
#37456 - 03/22/05 09:30 PM Re: Bose stereo?
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by nad:
I have the premium sound package, with the 6 speaker stereo system and the 7 band equilizer, but no Bose frown
you're better off w/o the BOSE if you ever plan to change your speakers, etc out

crazy devilgrin
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#37457 - 03/22/05 10:41 PM Re: Bose stereo?
AustinGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Dementeddj:
Quote:
Originally posted by nad:
[b] I have the premium sound package, with the 6 speaker stereo system and the 7 band equilizer, but no Bose frown
you're better off w/o the BOSE if you ever plan to change your speakers, etc out

crazy devilgrin [/b]
You can change the speakers out fine, it's the HU you'll have problems with, actually it's the BOSE wiring harness that will be giving you the problems.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#37458 - 03/23/05 03:41 PM Re: Bose stereo?
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
I have the BOSE, and as an audiophile it was not enough, so I upgraded the HU and bypased the BOSE amp, the difference was night and day, I kept the BOSE speakers because they sound very well and they are not overwhelmed by the RF subs, the radio was by far the best upgrade I have ever done on my car, the wiring was a little challenging but if you have the schematic is relatively easy, the reward is great sound that doesn`t break the bank!
#37459 - 03/25/05 02:39 AM Re: Bose stereo?
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:
For the '97's, the upgraded stereo had the EQ and a six speaker setup (4 on the rear deck).
You're forgetting about the two tweeters on the doors, which makes it 8 speakers...
#37460 - 03/25/05 08:33 AM Re: Bose stereo?
AustinGTP Offline
Did the '97's have the tweeters in the doors?

#37461 - 03/25/05 04:26 PM Re: Bose stereo?
Grizzlor Offline
Loc: New Jersey
Yes the BOSE speakers are excellent and the clarity of the sound is great. But my system's BASS is not to my liking, I guess that's the AMP's fault. Plus not being able to put an AUX input into it is really a minus. I bought an XM Skyfi radio and the only thing I could do is use an FM Modulator, which is terrible. I think the Monsoon is a MUCH better system by far. More volume, more BASS and can definitely use an AUX input.

BTW, how do you count the number of speakers? I'm not a stereo person, but I have two large Subs I guess in the rear, each seeming to have 2 speakers in each. Two tweeters in the front doors and two real little ones on the corner of the front door windows. I guess those are speakers? So that is 6, unless you count the tiny ones 8?
#37462 - 03/25/05 04:32 PM Re: Bose stereo?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzlor:
Yes the BOSE speakers are excellent and the clarity of the sound is great. But my system's BASS is not to my liking, I guess that's the AMP's fault. Plus not being able to put an AUX input into it is really a minus. I bought an XM Skyfi radio and the only thing I could do is use an FM Modulator, which is terrible. I think the Monsoon is a MUCH better system by far. More volume, more BASS and can definitely use an AUX input.
Yes, the bass is poor, but with a HU upgrade and some subs, it's really a great system.

FYI I found this link by Edmonds. Granted, a lot of the sound depends on the shape of the car cabin, and the actual speakers used, but they ranked the Audi A4 BOSE system ahead of the Monsoon system in the VW Passat

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/100987/article.html
#37463 - 03/25/05 06:12 PM Re: Bose stereo?
AustinGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzlor:
BTW, how do you count the number of speakers? I'm not a stereo person, but I have two large Subs I guess in the rear, each seeming to have 2 speakers in each. Two tweeters in the front doors and two real little ones on the corner of the front door windows. I guess those are speakers? So that is 6, unless you count the tiny ones 8?
2 6x9's in the rear deck
2 4" also in the rear deck
2 mid range in the doors
2 tweeters also in the door
8 total number of speakers in the car for a BOSE system.

#37464 - 03/25/05 08:10 PM Re: Bose stereo?
KyleGT Offline
I just bought some Eclipse 5 1/4" speakers today to replace the stockers up front, and I'll be buying some kenwoods for the back pretty soon.

Galaxy Silver Metallic 2001 GT ~ 70k miles Eclipse CD5425 deck, Eclipse & Kenwood speakers, Silverstars, rear bumper inlays, debadged, Flowmaster Super 40s and Gibson tips
#37465 - 03/25/05 08:20 PM Re: Bose stereo?
KyleGT Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
they ranked the Audi A4 BOSE system ahead of the Monsoon system in the VW Passat
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/100987/article.html
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the list is in no particular order
Quote:
And as it sometimes comes down to splitting hairs (as well as considering the somewhat subjective nature of such evaluations), there is no ranking in this list.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >