Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37661 - 12/03/08 03:00 AM GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
This is one of those clouded brain moments when you are ready to throw safety out the window and break out the blow torch and melt that blasted caliper bracket slam off mad

The Rodlite wheel showed up the same time the UPS driver came to pick up the Jeep wheels. It was nasty cold outside but I jumped right on doing the dry fit. Rod"lite" is no exaggeration, this wheel feels like a feather vs. the Bullitt.

Once again, I bolted the wheel up and it is frozen against the caliper bracket. Doesnt seem as bad as it was on the Jeep wheel but still a clearance issue. A 1/4in spacer would free things right up but that would move the wheel right to the outside edge of the fenderline. The bullitts are there but the 245 tire on a 9in wheel is different than mounting a 245 on a 7in. I'm afraid this will stick the tire out too far.

I'm gonna have to call Jim back this morning and discuss my options. this whole deal is pizzing me off to no end. I realize alot of it is brought on myself by trying to get a cross fitment but I never thought it was going to be this much head banging. The thought of putting a +40mm wheel on there that looks no different than stock is pretty much my last choice but at this rate I'm getting there fast. banghead

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#37662 - 12/03/08 10:46 AM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
jaybur Offline
Loc: Ashland Oregon
this is starting to be an expensive lesson....

not sure how helpful the people at the wheel places are, but if you measured the distance from your bullit wheel, about where the caliper would be, to the inside of the rim then you could compare.

I guess you'd have to figure out the distance from the center of the rim, so that the people on the other end of the phone would know where to measure from. Ex: 4" from the center of the rim, measure the backspace from that point.

if that measurement matches good to go, if its less, not going to happen.

just a thought.

1994 Honda civic CX hatchback (BIG MPG) STAYING STOCK
*******1999 GT SOLD*****
#37663 - 12/03/08 11:37 AM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Time to bust out the grinder. smile
#37664 - 12/03/08 11:38 AM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
After I see your picture in sig. Why not just get rid of big rotor out and move back to stock rotor? So you won't have any problem for caliper bracket on this 15" wheel. I know SE model with "fake wheel cover" have 15" size wheel. It is work for SE model. You should have your new 15" wheel work with stock rotor back.
#37665 - 12/03/08 10:23 PM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
Tim,

I guess you're just going to have to come and get my Comp G tires and wheels and let me have yours. That's the only option I see laugh
#37666 - 12/03/08 11:26 PM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
20gtp02 Offline
Reason why GM put 16s on there!!
Oh and you can't say the board didn't try telling you otherwise!!

#37667 - 12/03/08 11:40 PM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
Actually, GM have 15 size on any model. Like grand prix SE model with wheel cover for 15 size. Aveo, Vibe, Cobalt, or any small model do have 15 size wheel.
#37668 - 12/03/08 11:43 PM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
20gtp02 Offline
They aren't stylish though!

#37669 - 12/04/08 03:18 AM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
ThunderBat Offline
I have the stock size rotors on my car as well as the calipers are stock. The drilled & slotted rotors were replacements but they are the same size as stock...the brake size is not an issue. ALL of the wheels I have dry fitted so far have cleared the caliper on outside diameter so that isnt an issue. The stock steel wheels that came on the SE model were 15in so going up to 16in or larger will not solve the problem if the spoke design is the same.

Most wheels designed for FWD use are +40mm offset or more as well as having a thick "shoulder" where the wheel meets the hub (just like the Bullitts do) which is why they do not contact the caliper bracket. This design feature is why most all FWD design have the spokes coming all the way to the outside lip of the wheel to provide this clearance.
However the Bullitts were not designed as a FWD wheel but it is only a happy coincidence that Ford chose a positive offset design for the Mustang.

I spoke with Jim in Baltimore again today and explained that I needed to ship the Rodlite wheel back. I gotta give this guy credit, he wants you to be satisfied. He was also very on board with what I have been trying to do.He then explained to me that they had similar clearance issues on some Mustang models and he suggested the Greg Weld Dragstar in 15x8 w/5.5in backspace. He said they have used this wheel with success on the applications he mentioned. He shipped one of these to me for free since I was paying to return the Rodlite. He noted the thick shoulder on the back that provides caliper clearance on the Mustangs they have installed the wheels on.

Sounds like this one has serious potential...I'm in too far on this deal to turn back now...plus with a guy being this helpful it makes a big difference.

btw Don, I do appreciate the generous offer (I seem to be getting a lot of these lately...must be the Christmas spirit in the air) lol

#37670 - 12/04/08 07:35 AM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
because those bullitts would look amazing on my car lol, im glad you found a wheel vender that is actually taking the time and working with you to find something most places woulda said your sol
#37671 - 12/04/08 12:41 PM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Tbat, I hope you get the right wheels and cant wait to see pics!

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#37672 - 12/04/08 01:44 PM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
red powdercoated steelies with baby moons wink
#37673 - 12/04/08 10:05 PM Re: GRRR!...bloody caliper bracket!
ThunderBat Offline
believe it or not Herc I have actually entertained that option...or maybe I should say I have searched for the parts while Iwas at work and doing nothing else in the middle of the night lol

The only "steelies" you canget for the car are stock replacements which are 15x6...all other aftermarket steelies are chrome reverse or smoothies and they are all in the old musclecar negative offsets. plus I hadnt been able to locate any baby moons that look like they would fit the stock steel wheel since it has a ring of holes and a "well" where the lugs are...no real lip to attach a small hubcap to.

I have an update that I'll post when I get to work.