Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37987 - 07/26/05 04:07 PM making sure your engine is in good condition
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
As for the M90 conversion kit to come out for my L36 GT, I want to make sure my engine is ready for it.
Does anybody have some advice on making sure everything's good to go?

miles=79,000 (primarily hwy)
oil changes=frequent
no problems currently

note that the kit comes with belts/plugs

thanks fellas,
bill
#37988 - 07/26/05 04:17 PM Re: making sure your engine is in good condition
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Scan for the ol' Knock Retard. With what? I need to know myself. Hopefully something dependable yet reasonably priced.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#37989 - 07/26/05 04:20 PM Re: making sure your engine is in good condition
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Check the condition of your tranny.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#37990 - 07/26/05 04:46 PM Re: making sure your engine is in good condition
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I'd give it a compression test and if you can get your hands on one a borescope. For a scan tool check here
purchase autotap here
#37991 - 07/26/05 11:23 PM Re: making sure your engine is in good condition
zuulmusic Offline
compression test is on the to-do list.

some of you may remember about my KR problem. i've been using my Aeroforce tech scangauge to look at that. at WOT, i get readings of sometimes 0, sometimes 1-2ish, and half the time 4-5ish. i believe it is due to the intense PCM. i reset the computer yesterday so i'll be checking out the ol' KR in a few days again.

one good thing, with the M90 kit, you can't use the intense, so ill have to get rid of it!

anything else?

oh yeah can anyone give some advice on doing the compression test? i have not done one yet.
#37992 - 07/27/05 06:25 AM Re: making sure your engine is in good condition
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Follow the steps in the book. Basically you pressurize the cylinder with air and time the leak down. Then compare those results to the rest of the cylinders. There is a range for acceptable leakdown but I don't know what it is off hand.
#37993 - 07/27/05 09:22 AM Re: making sure your engine is in good condition
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
compression test is on the to-do list.

some of you may remember about my KR problem. i've been using my Aeroforce tech scangauge to look at that. at WOT, i get readings of sometimes 0, sometimes 1-2ish, and half the time 4-5ish. i believe it is due to the intense PCM. i reset the computer yesterday so i'll be checking out the ol' KR in a few days again.

one good thing, with the M90 kit, you can't use the intense, so ill have to get rid of it!

anything else?

oh yeah can anyone give some advice on doing the compression test? i have not done one yet.
notontopic
Let us know the KR results. I am very curious of the results. Please test with 87 octane as this is what the car can use now with the old computer. Then try with the high, which it don't need but it will provide some good data.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#37994 - 07/27/05 11:26 AM Re: making sure your engine is in good condition
zuulmusic Offline
Quote:
notontopic
Let us know the KR results. I am very curious of the results. Please test with 87 octane as this is what the car can use now with the old computer. Then try with the high, which it don't need but it will provide some good data. [/QB]
well the knock is whats worries me about the condition of my engine... not so far off topic laugh
#37995 - 07/27/05 12:35 PM Re: making sure your engine is in good condition
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Have you done a top clean? You might have some carbon build up which will increase your compression ratio which can lead to knock. There are directions on my webpage on how to do a top clean.