Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39101 - 05/14/07 03:34 PM Remote start
Igor Offline
Loc: Columbia/College Park, MD
Does anyone have a remote engine start for their car? I want to get one but I still want to retain the stock security system. Is this possible? The reason why I want to keep the stock security system is because the car won't start without unlocking the car with the fob. I want to keep that feature. Any suggestions?
#39102 - 05/14/07 05:45 PM Re: Remote start
20gtp02 Offline
Should be able to. I put one on the 89' vette. If they Remote Start alarm is disarmed, and I lock the vette, then the stock alarm will sound if I open it in an improper sequence. I have the Ultra XR or something like that. It has a small battery, half size of AAA, and I can' figure how to keep the display on the fob from constantly showing the car is secure because the battery life is like a month. So just beaware of that when you are looking.
Mine actually is a remote start with security. You might have two fobs then if you want to keep stock and just add remote. Basically after you hit remote start, "VRoombah" then if you hit the brake or accelerator the car will shut off for security reasons. So once you get in after hitting remote start you have to stick key in ignition to the accessory position for you to roll out!

#39103 - 05/14/07 07:13 PM Re: Remote start
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I have the Cliffords remote start the best on the market. You can keep you stock security system witht he remote start b/c the remote can work on both freq. With mine I havet o unlock it to start it. and when I hit unlock thefogs go and the they sta lit as long as the car is running. As a side note, why do you want one. B/c if I were to go back I would have bought it, it s great product and it aswome during the winter. But the money could have goen to something alot better.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#39104 - 05/14/07 07:51 PM Re: Remote start
Igor Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by D:
I have the Cliffords remote start the best on the market. You can keep you stock security system witht he remote start b/c the remote can work on both freq. With mine I havet o unlock it to start it. and when I hit unlock thefogs go and the they sta lit as long as the car is running. As a side note, why do you want one. B/c if I were to go back I would have bought it, it s great product and it aswome during the winter. But the money could have goen to something alot better.
Honestly, I think it's really cool. My dad just got a brand new fully-loaded CX-7 (which is an awesome car) and it has remote start. I like it and I wonder if it's going to be easy or not.

Also, how much money did you guys spend for the remote start? Because if it's going to be a lot, I'd rather save the money and get something else like the Carbon Fiber Cowl Induction Hood.
#39105 - 05/14/07 07:53 PM Re: Remote start
20gtp02 Offline
I spent way too much (used up college loans, idiot) and it is cool just like everything else for awhile. But then it gets old. Unless you have a winter and then its Kool again!

#39106 - 05/14/07 10:21 PM Re: Remote start
D Offline
Way too mcuh, mine was $500. and the installation is a PITA. If you dont know what youa re doing then get it done by a proff. If you are planning on doing it yourself, then the alarm itslef will only be $300.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

www.nymcgp.com
#39107 - 05/14/07 10:23 PM Re: Remote start
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by D:
I have the Clifford RSX 3.5.... The best out there! Vipers are identical to it. They are made by the same company, DEI electronics
#39108 - 05/14/07 10:25 PM Re: Remote start
Igor Offline
Well, yea you guys do have good points. So...my money is better spent on something else for Jackie. Possibly cam later in the summer? devilsmile
#39109 - 05/14/07 10:29 PM Re: Remote start
D Offline
Yup...sry to shoot your dreams down.

www.nymcgp.com
#39110 - 05/15/07 02:02 AM Re: Remote start
zXLankyXz Offline
Loc: New Berlin, WI
I have the Viper 591XV Security system and remote start on my car and I absolutely love it - highly recommended if you decide to get one in the future.
#39111 - 05/15/07 11:24 AM Re: Remote start
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Remote start is handy in some situations, but its just more of a "toy" then any real use out of it, I like it cuz I can start my car in the winter with the heater gonig and when I get out there its all toasty for me, same in the summer with the A/C. But I like it mainly for the pager when the alarm goes off.