Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39231 - 02/16/03 01:13 AM SE mods
satch Offline
Loc: Eastland Texas
hey guys im new here..ive been thinking about making some changes to my SE..like....using a IAT sensor trick(resistor) to fool the pcm...etc...what i need to know is...do any of you know what should i expect when i make the modification and...is there anything else i can do to counter-act any problems?...i realize that when you change one sensor signal you also change another....therefore should i make any other modifications as well(MAF sensor...O2 sensor..etc..)? confused
#39232 - 02/16/03 01:21 AM Re: SE mods
satch Offline
one more thing...ive heard both sides of the story when modifying the MAF sensor...more incoming air is better but..at what cost?...any help would be greatly appreciated
#39233 - 02/19/03 12:09 AM Re: SE mods
satch Offline
c'mon guys ...a little help here?...
#39234 - 02/19/03 12:42 AM Re: SE mods
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hey Satch,

Well, this is not an experienced opinion, but maybe it'll stir something up for you.
I believe with no other mods, like exhaust, intake, or the extreme, heads, the IAT and MAF spoofs are useless. They trick the PCM into thinking the air is different than it is, therefore changing the timing to "increase the HP". On the contrary, I think the HP remains the same, if not worse off. The computer is programmed for optimal running. If you trick it into thinking the conditions are different from what they really are, you will most likely get detonation. The results are.....The PCM puts the timing back to where it would've been in the first place. As I said, this is not an experienced opinion, just an educated guess.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com
#39235 - 03/02/03 01:41 PM Re: SE mods
Lord Humongus Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
What crimpton said is the truth. And the thing to fool the AIT has been shown to be a big rip-off. wink
#39236 - 03/03/03 01:33 AM Re: SE mods
satch Offline
i appreciate the input guys...anyone who's tried anything or even knows anything about this stuff is worthy of my attention.one more thing...does a simple cold air box and high-flow air filter make that much difference?..if so i couldve gone that route in the first place..lol
#39237 - 03/03/03 09:20 PM Re: SE mods
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,
Thrasher claims 7-10HP, with thier kit on a GTP. With that being said, you may see a 5HP gain. Not much in the power gain, but a great modification. And it looks cool.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com
#39238 - 03/21/03 07:18 PM Re: SE mods
gpkid06 Offline
Loc: Kansas City, Missouri
does the thrasher fit on the se?
confused
#39239 - 03/22/03 07:15 PM Re: SE mods
Lord Humongus Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by gpkid06:
does the thrasher fit on the se?
confused
Only on the 3.8 lt
#39240 - 03/24/03 11:14 AM Re: SE mods
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
If you cannot install a 9" cone due to restrictions go with a smaller one. But also, if you buy some plexiglass or a plastic box that you can modify and have a saturday to blow, then you can build your own CAI!! I did and I know a few peopole did as well, I think a little bit of hard work for $ 30 is better then blowing a huge wad on something that looks classy but no one will see as its under your hood and does the same thing. There are plenty of pics and ideas floating out there so if you want to do that go for it. also I totally agree with all that was said, better to introduce cold, dense air for efficiency and better, smoother running of the ngine then "fooling" the PCM.
#39241 - 04/05/03 11:30 AM Re: SE mods
gpkid06 Offline
Loc: Kansas City, Missouri
do u have any sites that you know of that show examples of cold air boxes or instructions or suggestions
thanks
#39242 - 04/07/03 10:31 AM Re: SE mods
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
The first one that comes to mind ( mine is almost a duplicate of it but totally enclosed ) is Crimpton's page. another one I can think of is http://www.ryan92178.com/airbox.html and http://unycgp.clubgp.com/CAI.html

hope that helps