Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39829 - 02/25/10 04:46 PM ABS Light and VES Solenoid
Razor Offline
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hi all,

Since I got my '97 Grand Prix GT in October of 2009 I've had issues with my ABS system. Specifically, it is disabled and the ABS light is continuously on. Braking otherwise is normal.

I'd already checked for OBD-II codes, and had no luck with my scanner. I had a suspicion, though, that the wheel sensors or wiring might be at fault.

Since I don't have a garage and it's the middle of winter I had Midas check it out with their scanner (had to get an oil change done, anyway). It took 'em a while, but apparently the fault is not in the braking system at all. The VES (Variable Effort Steering) solenoid, or it's wiring, was triggering a trouble code which in turn disabled the ABS system. banghead

I'm gonna check it myself (no point in paying Midas to do a continuity check =P). The only problem is that my Haynes manual does not have the VES solenoid well documented. Using Google gave me nothing, either. Has anyone here serviced it? It is supposed to be off the steering pump (according to Haynes) but I had little luck finding it. I'm wondering if it only accessible from below the car.

Any help is appreciated.