Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40035 - 06/28/05 01:51 PM RWD GTP?
DominikRudnicki Offline
Loc: Texas
Anyone know or have seen a RWD GP? I alwasy thought that these cars would be perfect if they were RWD and was just wondering if anyone had done it or knows of anyone who has done it?

I know a place called Conley Performance Plus did one not to long ago only their's costs $42,000 dollars dude to the massavive amounts of tube work so the stage II Buick 3.8 motor wounldn't twist the car.

If I would acually get this done (making my GP RWD) I myself wouldn't be making it with this much HP so i wouldn't need the tube work. Anyone know of a place that could do this for not to expensive? Just a thought I don't think im ever gonna do this but it would be kool to have a GP roll up to a mustange and him thinkin its FWD then eating him off the line lol .
#40036 - 06/28/05 02:30 PM Re: RWD GTP?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
There is some photos some where of one. It's pretty much cost prohibitive. For the average joe.
#40037 - 06/28/05 04:23 PM Re: RWD GTP?
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
http://www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002528#000000

Here is one where a Northstar V8 was put into it.
I believe this is the only one. It looks like a good idea on paper but it still isn't super fast as you may think.

Better to get a more powerful GTO. Less expensive than a conversion.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#40038 - 06/28/05 04:34 PM Re: RWD GTP?
DominikRudnicki Offline
I personaly dislike the way the new GTO's look. They look to calm unlike the old ones which looked much more aggressive. I'd much rather spend more and make a mean looking GP RWD with a built engine in it then get a GTO.
#40039 - 06/28/05 05:06 PM Re: RWD GTP?
TastyBake Offline
I know exactly how you feel in regards to the GTOs styling. However, With ALL of the modifications required to convert a GP to RWD, I'd worry about stability and structural quality. I would end up sitting there and staring at thing with a sad look on my face; thinking about all the money and friends lost.

An approach I would do is put a new front end on the GTO. Make that think look the way I want to.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#40040 - 06/28/05 06:06 PM Re: RWD GTP?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
the cardomain link is no longer there...and a conversion (if done right) would be more rigid than the standard unibody...it would ba boatload of money unless you have friends in low places,so to speak...and you'll have to lose the trunk or the back seat (or both) for wheel tubs,suspension mounts and relocated gas tank...not to mention getting all the electronics to work (tach reading correctly and such) all of which is why when you see guys like Troy Trepanier do a car, they totally gut it first. Not just for the sake of metalwork, but it gives them the ability to install all compatible hardware...lots o bucks and lots o work, but you do wind up with an individual and unique machine.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#40041 - 06/28/05 06:18 PM Re: RWD GTP?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Here is the link to ClubGP where he updated the progress.

His Cardomain page is here .

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#40042 - 06/28/05 10:01 PM Re: RWD GTP?
DominikRudnicki Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
Here is the link to ClubGP where he updated the progress.

His Cardomain page is here .
That GP looks sweet
#40043 - 06/29/05 01:43 AM Re: RWD GTP?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
man! lots of time and sweat on that one...gonna be boss when he gets done tho.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#40044 - 06/29/05 05:13 PM Re: RWD GTP?
TastyBake Offline
Saw a Jeep with a V-10 Viper engine in it. Tried to sell it on ebay for $80,000. No bidders.

For projects like that, don't even dream about getting a good fraction of the money back.

[GONE]