Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40610 - 12/30/06 01:56 PM Auto lock programming
Kemo_Sabe Offline
Loc: Indiana, PA
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just bought a '99 GTP - 52K miles.

I had a '98 Regal GS that was distroyed by a Dodge Ram PU. Only had it 10 months. Heck! I wanted a GTP in the first place.

Anyway, the method for programming the door locks is different from the Regal. I followed the manual but my car won't. I pulled the fuse, turned the key to the accessory position (old school states that's when the radio and stuff plugged into the cig lighter work), but I hear no chimes. So I advance the key to the "Run" position. I hear 5 chimes. The chart in the manual says I'll 4 at the most.

Alright. So I press the LOCK switch on the driver's door, holding it to hear chimes. Again, no chimes.

Hmmm. Well, I've repeated the entire process in the manual several times. Even double-checking for any effect in auto-lock mode change in spite of not hearing any chimes. No luck.

I tried the buick instructions thinking maybe there was more than one way to skin this cat. Nope.

Searching the forum didn't reveal anything like this. I was on ClubGP, but their forum search feature is hosed. ASP problem I think. This one is PHP. Much better.

Yeah. I'm web tech as well as a car nut.

Any help would appreciated.

Regards to all and Happy New Year!

-KS.
#40611 - 12/30/06 02:56 PM Re: Auto lock programming
bikrboy128 Offline
Loc: Illinois
which fuse did u pull? mall or mall pgm
#40612 - 12/30/06 03:08 PM Re: Auto lock programming
Kemo_Sabe Offline
definitely the MALL PGM.
#40613 - 12/30/06 03:29 PM Re: Auto lock programming
bikrboy128 Offline
hmm i think ur SOL. unless your reading the fuse block diagram upside down kooky
#40614 - 12/30/06 07:19 PM Re: Auto lock programming
Kemo_Sabe Offline
The GP thinks its a Regal. I followed the GP manual instructions 3 more times and nothing changed. No chimes when I pushed the door lock button and no mode change.

I tried the Buick Regal man. instr. very methodically. Short story, I found that I didn't have to take the MALL PGM fuse out and there are only 3 modes to select, not 4. I don't have the option to "Lock leaving PARK, and Unlock returning to PARK.

I tried another feature program. The Theft deterrent system can't be programmed because when I turn the Park lights on and off there is no chime heard.

Open to theories here. I'm wondering if the computer at some point was swapped out with a buick salvage item.

I can't think of all the ramifications of such a swap, but if anyone knows of something similar that could have been switched during the life of this car I sure would like to hear it.
#40615 - 12/30/06 07:39 PM Re: Auto lock programming
bikrboy128 Offline
i have the same problem with my theft deterant system. i also cant program myhead lights flashing when i lock and unlock my door. if u could pls tell me how u did this that would be great.
#40616 - 12/30/06 07:54 PM Re: Auto lock programming
Kemo_Sabe Offline
That also didn't work. Maybe these features self destruct after the car is out of warranty.
#40617 - 12/30/06 07:57 PM Re: Auto lock programming
bikrboy128 Offline
but u programed it using the regal instructions?
#40618 - 12/30/06 09:09 PM Re: Auto lock programming
Kemo_Sabe Offline
Sorry. I didn't get what you want to customize. I successfully changed the Auto Door locking feature. I wasn't able to effect any change to the theft Deterrent system.

To modify the way the system responds to damage or entry by jimmying requires hearing chimes when you turn on and off the parking lights. I didn't hear any chimes.

The way you change the method of arming and disarming the system requires turning the key in the door lock, pressing the horn button on the remote to hearing chimes. I heard only the horn honking until I pressed the button again.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
#40619 - 12/30/06 10:49 PM Re: Auto lock programming
bikrboy128 Offline
i dont hear chimes either. it sucks, but i give up so oh well
#40620 - 12/31/06 12:35 AM Re: Auto lock programming
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by bikrboy128:
i have the same problem with my theft deterant system. i also cant program myhead lights flashing when i lock and unlock my door. if u could pls tell me how u did this that would be great.
If your car has a BCM Type 4 (Look for RPO code UA6 on the Service Parts Identification decal under the trunk lid) here's how to do it:

How to program:
1 Turn off the IP dimmer switch
2 Turn ignition switch to OFF position
3 Remove MALL PGM fuse
4 Turn ignition switch to ACC position
The BCM sounds the chime a number of times equal to the BCM installed in vehicle (1-4 times) Make sure BCM is Type 3 or 4.
Now the BCM has entered the feature customization mode.

5 To change the remote unlock control mode, press and release the unlock button on the transmitter.
The BCM will sound the chime equal to the remote unlock control mode. A transition past Mode 2 repeats the sequence starting with Mode 1.

Remote Unlock Control Modes
Mode 1 (disabled) All doors unlock when pressing unlock on transmitter
Mode 2 Driver's door unlocks when pressing unlock once on transmitter, press unlock again within five seconds unlocks all doors

6 To change remote activation verification mode, press and release the lock button on transmitter. The BCM will sound the chime equal to the remote activation verification mode it is in. A transition past Mode 4 repeats sequence with Mode 1.

Remote Activation Verification Modes
Mode 1 Feature disabled
Mode 2 Headlamps flash when pressing unlock or lock on transmitter.
Mode 3 Headlamps flash when pressing unlock on the transmitter. Headlamps flash and horn sounds when pressing lock on the transmitter.
Mode 4 Headlamps flash when pressing unlock on transmitter. Headlamps flash when pressing lock once on transmitter; within five seconds, headlamps flash and horn sounds when pressing lock again on transmitter.

To exit and save: Turn ignition switch to OFF, Reinstall MALL PGM fuse

If this doesn't work, hit it with a cheers heavily; after all, it's New Year's Eve!!! laugh
#40621 - 12/31/06 12:54 AM Re: Auto lock programming
bikrboy128 Offline
looks very helpful
one question, what is the IP dimmer switch??
#40622 - 12/31/06 01:15 AM Re: Auto lock programming
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch; and it should be helpful, it's copied straight from the factory manual... wink
#40623 - 12/31/06 02:15 AM Re: Auto lock programming
bikrboy128 Offline
well if it wasnt 1:15AM i would be out working on my car. thx i will try it in the morning