Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40806 - 02/04/08 09:33 PM Car knocking only in neutral and park:
GTPJack Offline
Loc: Hoover, AL
Does anyone have a clue where to start with this? To describe it better, the car drives fine and at first I thought my engine might be going but I jacked up the car, got under and narrowed down where the noise seems to be coming from and I think possibly the tranny, but what in the tranny could make a knocking sound? If the car is in park it is knocking, then I can slowly move the shift and set it between park and reverse and it goes away, the same with neutral and drive but if the car is in drive , or any other gear, it goes away. The worst part is I'm moving in two weeks from Maryland to Alabama. I don't really want to mess with it here. Would any of you chance driving it? I drove it to Michigan a few weeks ago with no problems at that time.

Keith

Next: 3" down pipe, SD Ram Air Hood,
#40807 - 02/04/08 09:42 PM Re: Car knocking only in neutral and park:
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
if its not having any problems besides the sound, i dont see any reason why you shouldnt be able to drive it.

Can you try and describe what knocking is? knocking as in....the motor is hitting something?
#40808 - 02/04/08 09:52 PM Re: Car knocking only in neutral and park:
GTPJack Offline
Standing next to the car it sounds like knocking,something hitting somehting else but under neath, faintly in the background like rubbing, not grinding.

Keith

#40809 - 02/06/08 04:00 PM Re: Car knocking only in neutral and park:
GTPJack Offline
Update, I took my GP to a local shop this morning to a guy that I trust and they do good work without over charging, plus they are heavily into racing. He called me back within a few hours and gave me the news, which was good to me. Ok, the engine is fine and he told me that the bolts where the tranny and engine meet up were working their way loose, in fact he had two of the bolts already out while was talking to me on the phone. He is going to drop the tranny and check to see if anything else needs to be replaced, flexplate, torque converter and what not. Man I was sooo glad it was not the engine.

later,
Keith

#40810 - 02/06/08 05:38 PM Re: Car knocking only in neutral and park:
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
ouch. its not gonna be cheap to have him check that.

Why not just have him torque those bolts back down?
#40811 - 02/06/08 08:27 PM Re: Car knocking only in neutral and park:
GTPJack Offline
I agree with you, but since it was making noise, I'm sure there was alot of stress on some parts and if there was any type of damage done they can replace it now. I have to drive it to Alabama after next week. He said worst case scenario, $1K. It's sure better than the $3K or more I was thinking if the engine is gone. I surely appreciate your reply.

Keith