Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41210 - 09/09/04 08:29 PM Re: turbo
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Yeah well it does come on a lil slower than a blower but when you look at it in the end you are still putting 280 horsepower and 300+ ft lbs in a tranny that was designed to hold 200 fly horse and 230 fly torque you will have the chance fo rsomething to break.....
#41211 - 09/10/04 07:18 AM Re: turbo
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Don't expect the prices to go down much,i've priced out the individual parts and they're not to far out of line,but what you may expect from Intense is a more refined product. The few guy's that are converting the blown L67 to turbo are not just bocking of the SC they are going to a L36 intake and plugging the heads or using the intake off an F body,this requires cutting off the inlet for the throttle body and weldind to the opposite end .THese kits are available from Stattama.I personally would not go turbo with the L67 i think there is still a lot of potential for great gains for a lot less than 3K ,wipple i believe is planning prodution of a kit for the 3.8 ,i know there is all ready a couple of prototypes out there,intercooled this would be the way to go .Who knows they may even develope a kit for the N/A guys.
#41212 - 09/10/04 08:23 AM Re: turbo
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
Yeah well it does come on a lil slower than a blower but when you look at it in the end you are still putting 280 horsepower and 300+ ft lbs in a tranny that was designed to hold 200 fly horse and 230 fly torque you will have the chance fo rsomething to break.....
Ok granted it still makes the power but. Any time you shock something it's chances of breaking are greater if you bring the power up gently then the risk of breaking is less. Here's a little experiment for you. Take a string about 18 inches long. Hold one end in each hand. Leave some slack in the string then quickly pull the ends away from each other. The string breaks right. Now take the same length of string held the same way only this time no slack and pull gently. You'll see that you can put more force on the string by slowly applying the load then if you "shock" it. The same goes for tranny parts.
#41213 - 09/10/04 08:38 AM Re: turbo
Redshift Offline
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Next up for development on this turbo kit is an intercooler. The kit is very high quality and was worked on and tested for months before being released. I don't think it would be easy to come out with a more "refined" kit. This kit is super high quality, well thought out, comes with all the stuff you need, installs in under a full day, and bolts on with no other mods required. It's really meant for the GT owners and not the GTP owners, but we do support the GTP owners with the block off plate. I'm sure it would be possible to do the same job on a GTP by getting a GT intake manifold and removing the blower, but why bother spending all the money?

Nice thing about the turbo is that the lag actually helps you launch the car without smoking the tires like a supercharger. So you can floor it at the dragstrip and get very little wheelspin. By the time you are moving, the turbo kicks in and you better hold on. We should be posting dyno results soon.

Even nicer is you don't really need much else in the way of other mods. Headers won't fit with the turbo, so you can save your money on those and just get the turbo and maybe an exhaust. It comes with everything else you could possibly want.

cheers
#41214 - 09/10/04 11:13 AM Re: turbo
digital-d Offline
Loc: New York
The L67's run lower compression so they wouldn't get as much of a gain as an L36, but if they rather turbo anyway it's their choice. I wouldn't mind taking their unwanted eaton m90 and L67 manifold though. laugh
#41215 - 09/10/04 01:06 PM Re: turbo
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
Quote:
Originally posted by bryanp:
How much hp does a 3.4 pulley, cai, and exhaust add to a gtp?
around 35-45 im guessing, but its hard to say

As far as turbo vs. blown, I would much rather be blown, it spools quicker, its a lot smoother, and there are less things that can go wrong. I have quite a few freinds who have turbo cars and they are constantly adjusting boost pressure, and worrying about blowing valves. The boost your supercharger spools is proportional to your RPM's, however the turbo works off of exhaust, which makes the boost spool, which then makes the exhaust come out faster, which then turns the turbine so the boost spools more, its a vicious cylce and if you dont keep a close eye on it, you can do some serious damage to your engine. However, turbos do produce a lot more power that SC's and if tamed, I think would tear the shit out of a GTP with all other things equally modded.

But, to accomplish running outstanding times in a turbo GP you would probably have to do extensive mods to the rockers, the cam shaft and the pistons and push rods, and you would definately need an intercooler and a bigger intake than stock along with U-bend replacement and a gutted resonator just to start

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#41216 - 09/10/04 02:04 PM Re: turbo
Chico Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by digital-d:
The L67's run lower compression so they wouldn't get as much of a gain as an L36, but if they rather turbo anyway it's their choice. I wouldn't mind taking their unwanted eaton m90 and L67 manifold though. laugh
And what would you do with it ,the swap is a little more involved than just slapping the intake and blower on,no offence but you need the cyl.heads and a variety of other parts .the turbo installation is much easier.
#41217 - 09/10/04 10:08 PM Re: turbo
digital-d Offline
Loc: New York
I wasn't serious about it. I would like to boost though, but I think I'd rather build up n/a for now.....at least till I can afford a tranny that can handle more power. btw what do you guys think about the centrifugal supercharger kit that zzperformance has? http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/products/csc/centrifugal_sc_kit.htm
#41218 - 09/10/04 10:33 PM Re: turbo
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
All I know is from all the post I have read and from what I undersatnd of IC Engines... It is still better to buy a GTP put a few $$ into it and get yourself into the 12s with the added features of the GTP you are better off...

Just my .02 worth..... but hell I get the GMS and the rebates so I will get new cars as often as possible, so do not listen to me square
#41219 - 09/10/04 10:55 PM Re: turbo
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
YAY jizz i agree. and have any of you all ever drove a turbod car or gone for a ride in one. While the concept that it isnt as instaneous off the line is tru to a point depending on wastegate and turbo size you can spool boost pretty damn fast and still break something just as easy as the instant on of the eaton. I know i reference the DAMN NEON a lot but a good example is my buddys basically stock car can be going about 40 miles an hour in 3rd gear and not be putting any boost at all and if he mashes in the blink of the eye he is spinning the shit out of his tires and boosting 16 psi. herc dont get me wrong i completely understand what you are getting at but when it comes down to it its still a lot more power than factory and when you add a lot of power you also add the chance for parts to fail.

Our SC's on GTPS boost are not relevant to engine RPMs if you have a real boost gauge and you floor it you will pull the same boost across the board however a Centrifugal (spelling) boost is relative to rpms'
#41220 - 09/29/04 12:49 PM Re: turbo
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:

Even nicer is you don't really need much else in the way of other mods. Headers won't fit with the turbo, so you can save your money on those and just get the turbo and maybe an exhaust. It comes with everything else you could possibly want.

cheers [/QB]
Question to you:
Can the tranny take this new turbo kit? Thrasher indicates that the 4T65e transaxles can handle only up to the stock engine vs. the 4T65eHD in the GTP which can handle stock + more.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#41221 - 09/30/04 08:56 PM Re: turbo
Quote:
Originally posted by digital-d:
There has been a lot of confusion on this topic as far as how low and high compression engines work. This statement above is absolutely not true, infact it is the opposite. The L67 engine is a low compression engine meaning that the pistons and cylinders when under compression are subject to less PSI than say an L36 engine would be, and are much similar in compression design to turbo engines such as GN's and Eclips'. This makes the engine react more dramatically to the boost in compression level. If the blower was on a high compression engine it would take greater boost levels to accomplish the same gain in horsepower, and these high compression levels would certainly damage stock internals.

Also, digital-d, your question about how the turbo would work on a stock l67 motor, and this is the answer. The only actual moving part in the blower is the turbine which is connected to the snout. Once you remove the snout the supercharger housing is just a big open chamber. you put the plate on the passenger end of the supercharger houseing and it just becomes a sort of intake chamber, not very ideal, but i'm sure it deosnt slow down the rate of boost spool enought to even feel.

So, in short, I would not reccomend putting the turbo on an l36 engine unless you bore it out and possibly replace the push rods and rockers. Also, necessary on both cars for this upgrade would be new exhaust (downpipe, ubend and resonator at least) and an intercooler, along with common KR reducers like plugs, t-stat, T/B spacer ect...

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#41222 - 09/30/04 11:49 PM Re: turbo
Chico Offline
Your wrong if you take an l36 at 200hp and put it beside an l67 minus the SC you have at best a 170hp motor,it would take 6-8lbs of boost to make 300hp with the l36, where as it would take 10-12lbs of boost to make the same with an l67 ,the idea of boost is to raise comp. ratio to an ideal 13-1 obviosly it would take more boost to raise an 8-1 comp. ratio than an 9.5-1 comp.ratio .In regards to transmissions the 4t65e allows max eng.tq.of 285 and max.gearbox tq.of 400 whereas the 4t65e hd is eng.tq max290 and gearbox tq.of 405.
#41223 - 10/01/04 07:49 AM Re: turbo
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Well theirs alot more too it then just CRs and PSI levels. But you still have the tranny to deal with. The stock HD is still limited to about 300whp. I've been reading that with all the new turbos coming out people are blowing trannys at a higher rate then before. If you wanna run fast and put up big HP numbers your gonna have to spend some cash on an Intense tranny.
#41224 - 10/01/04 10:07 AM Re: turbo
Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
Your wrong if you take an l36 at 200hp and put it beside an l67 minus the SC you have at best a 170hp motor,it would take 6-8lbs of boost to make 300hp with the l36, where as it would take 10-12lbs of boost to make the same with an l67 ,the idea of boost is to raise comp. ratio to an ideal 13-1 obviosly it would take more boost to raise an 8-1 comp. ratio than an 9.5-1 comp.ratio .In regards to transmissions the 4t65e allows max eng.tq.of 285 and max.gearbox tq.of 400 whereas the 4t65e hd is eng.tq max290 and gearbox tq.of 405.
Right, a low compression engine without some sort of blower on it (tubo or SC) would be a complete dog, however, the low compression engine still gains more from boost than does a high compression engine unless you bore it out and lower the compression.

I never once said that the L67 would produce as much horse as the L36 without a blower, and I also never said that you couldnt gain that ammount of horsepower from boost on an L36, I just wanted to make sure everyone understood that the L67 would benifit much better with the turbo as is from factory than the L36 would.

Just seemed like everyone was under the impression that this turbo was mainly for GT's, dont want anyone who is unfamiliar with blowers and turbos destroy their engine.

I mean yeah, you could put 6-8 lbs of boost in a high compression engine, but you would definately risk a chance of blowing the head, or throwing a rod from such high compression levels.

Yeah it might take 10-12 lbs of boost to accomplish 300hp in a low compression engine, but the fact is, with a stock GT, if you put a turbo on it, you couldnt reach 300hp, you would blow your engine up before you ever got close

And right, the idea is to raise compression. In an L67 engine you have a lot more room to work with as far as raising the compression goes, before you will worry about destroying your heads. Even though it takes more boost to get the engine to the same compression level, the car will react more dramatically to the increase in boost at ALL levels in an L67 as opposed to an L36

Also, in my previous post I said that it would take higher compression levels in the L36 to produce the same HP as the L67. I shoule have worded this a little better, what I ment was that yes, you will have to add less boost to an L36 engine to produce 300hp than you would an L67, but the compression in the L36 engine would be much much higher than the actual compression in the L67. The compression in the L36 is already high, so if you add boost to it, then the compression ratio raises from high to really high and can damage your engine. However, the L67 engine has low compression which means that you can add 10, 12, or even 15lbs of boost to the engine to gain horsepower and the compression will still be low enough that its at a safe level. I was referring to the compression levels in the engine as a totally different variable than the ammount of boost you add with a blower or turbo, make a little more sense now???

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >