Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41274 - 04/19/07 07:19 PM Coolant Leak?
The Fridge Offline
Loc: Green Bay Wisconsin
I have a '00 GTP. Every once in a while i notice a burning smell from the engine. I opened the hood and noticed that there was a spray pattern where something was getting on the belt and the belt was flinging it up on the underside of the hood. The liquid looked almost white against the blue hood.

I have been keeping an eye on my coolant level and it was slowing going down over the course of about 6 weeks. And i would get the burning smell now and then.

Today i checked it and the coolant was on the bottom of the resevoir (i know it is spelled wrong)

I but in some more coolant and mixed it with our water (i work at a detail shop - 3 watersoftners and an Reverse Osmosis) but car is running a few lines hotter than usual.

I just bought this car in October so the 70+ degree weather today was the warmest it has been since i got the car.

I have the day off tomorrow and i was gonna try to fix it. Not sure where to start.

If anybody has any suggestions or ideas that would really help.

Thanks
Ryan (sorry this is sooo long)

CAI, 180deg thermostat

If Your Drinking A Coke Please PM Me The Code Eh?
#41275 - 04/19/07 07:21 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
water pump?
#41276 - 04/19/07 07:23 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
The Fridge Offline
if it was the water pump wouldn't it leak more?

the car has never left a puddle on the driveway, and it is a very slow leak.

I cannot find any moisture spots on the engine anywhere.

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#41277 - 04/19/07 07:44 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
If it's a small leak, the engine heat will dry up the anti-freeze, leaving the white streaks. Could be the water pump or coolant elbows.
#41278 - 04/19/07 11:19 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Quote:
Originally posted by blackarrow98gp:
...coolant elbows.
X2

Check the elbow below the alternator, it goes exactly from the engine trough the alternator mount, try to keep an eye on it when you just turn off the engine...good luck!!

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
----------------------------------
#41279 - 04/19/07 11:58 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
BTC13 Offline
Loc: Neptune Beach, FL
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't a leaking intake gasket toss out somewater/anti-freeze too?
1994 Ford Mustang
1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby T II(putting back together)
#41280 - 04/20/07 12:22 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Igor Offline
Loc: Columbia/College Park, MD
I don't think it would toss it out. But the coolant would mix with the oil and is can be seen during an oil change.
#41281 - 04/20/07 12:30 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
coolant will leakout of the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump shaft and be slung by the spinning pulley. When the engine is off and cool (not under pressure) it can go almost un-noticed. My wife's Montana minivan leaked like that for weeks before I finally nailed it down.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#41282 - 04/20/07 12:31 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
LIM gaskets will usually show signs of failure with puddles around the injectors.... Not to say that their not prone to failure before those signs.

Water Pump is usually the culprit of signs on the hood, or belt discoloration... The ooolant elbows usually don't fail unless tampered with.

http://pdxcgp.com
#41283 - 04/20/07 07:07 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
coolant will leakout of the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump shaft and be slung by the spinning pulley. When the engine is off and cool (not under pressure) it can go almost un-noticed. My wife's Montana minivan leaked like that for weeks before I finally nailed it down.
Yep, the dreaded weep hole. If you have a small mirror handy you can usually spot it leaking, but it may be harder to see it, with the water pump pulley in the way.
Tbat, my '66 Riviera once decided it needed a water pump, on the way to cruise night. Luckily I spotted the leak in the driveway, before heading out. Already had a new pump put aside, ready to install. Had it swapped in about 20 minutes! laugh
#41284 - 04/20/07 12:31 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
I'm having more or less the same problem. I've got a slow coolant leak, because I keep having to refill it, but it's not leaving wet spots on the pavement anywhere.
#41285 - 04/20/07 12:54 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
Well, never mind. My mom came in today and told me the wet spot under my car is bigger, so now I'm obviously leaking something. I went out there, and I can see orange drops handing off the bottom, but they don't really smell like coolant. And my coolant isn't really much lower than where I put it a couple days ago.

Do I have any other orange fluids?
#41286 - 04/20/07 02:45 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
ordonez1307 Offline
tranny fluid is redish. but that shouldnt be anywhere near the belts
#41287 - 04/20/07 09:27 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
The Fridge Offline
It has been running hotter that usual no buring smell or wet spots, belt is not discolored. I can't see anything wrong or leaking, but it is running hot and i am very slowly losing coolant.

CAI, 180deg thermostat

#41288 - 04/21/07 02:15 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
tranny fluid is redish. but that shouldnt be anywhere near the belts
Does tranny fluid have a smell to it? This stuff was on the bottom of my car, about 6 inches from but right behind my right front tire. It looked exactly like my dex-cool stuff.
#41289 - 04/21/07 04:38 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Sounds almost like my 3100. Small leak losing coolant, found it dripping down off the starter. Best I could ever guess is a leaking intake gasket (I don't think it's a head gasket because it never seemed to eat it). Last week I drove it, it was using a lot of coolant.
#41290 - 04/22/07 02:47 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
I need to get my car looked at. It always says Low Coolant, even right after I fill it (which I have to do every 7-10 days, even though I've only seen coolant on the ground once or twice), and the coolant recovery tank seems to always be at the same level. I have to pour coolant staight into the radiator. And since the engine is always getting to hot now, it sounds like I just need to get the whole cooling system checked.
#41291 - 04/23/07 02:32 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
Yea, it's obviously leaking. I poured a bunch straight into the radiator, and a while later (after I've moved the car to another spot) there was a wet spot on the ground, and orange drops hanging off the bottom of my car. It hadn't been leaking, so I think it must have been out of coolant (or really really low), and that's also probably why it'd had been getting so hot.

The weird thing is, the coolant level in the recovery tank is ALWAYS the same level, and I mean ALWAYS! Whether it's hot or cool, it seems to be in the same level. And yet, I have to keep adding fluid straight to the radiator. When I add some to the recovery tank, it goes back down to it's normal level in the tank and stays there.

Is it just me, or does that sound weird? lol
#41292 - 04/25/07 12:59 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
OK, sorry for the triple post, but if anyone is interested (and Fridge, you might want to check this) I took my car some place today to have it checked out. Sure enough, he opened the hood and looked on the back side of the s/c nose drive, and there was a pool of coolant just sitting there. I guess my friend and I should have been looking on TOP of the engine, instead of underneath, to try and find where it was dripping from.

He told me he drove or drive a Buick Regal, and he had the same problem. It was a busted gasket, I think he said intake, because it's plastic. So, while I was having problems before, it may be something I made worse in my wreck.

Because he'll have to take the supercharger off to fix it, he told me $500-$550, including labor. Said he'd start on it first thing in the morning, and it'd be done by 1-2 p.m. I guess I'm not getting my new bumper or headlights for a while, but at least my engine won't overheat anymore. (Hopefully)
#41293 - 04/25/07 02:37 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
ordonez1307 Offline
Its the LIM gasket. they are plastic and are known to fail.
#41294 - 04/25/07 02:39 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
I got a call from the guy today, and apparrently he needed a whole new set of something (I can't understand his accent very well), so it's going to run me $850 plus tax. This is going to hurt...
#41295 - 04/26/07 03:27 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
ordonez1307 Offline
Dont just do that. Figure out what it is, that is a lot of $ to not know what you are spending it on
#41296 - 04/26/07 04:24 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
*shrugs* It's fixed. Supposedly, anyway. I'll have to keep an eye out for coolant leaks, but there wasn't anything on top of my engine after 15 minutes drive.

The really funny thing...before I took my car in, I had one speaker that worked fine, two that made a vibrating noise, and one that didn't work at all. When I got my car back, ALL FOUR of them work great. laugh Don't know why, but it managed to brighten my mood after spending $920. hehe
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >