Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41289 - 04/21/07 04:38 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Sounds almost like my 3100. Small leak losing coolant, found it dripping down off the starter. Best I could ever guess is a leaking intake gasket (I don't think it's a head gasket because it never seemed to eat it). Last week I drove it, it was using a lot of coolant.
#41290 - 04/22/07 02:47 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
I need to get my car looked at. It always says Low Coolant, even right after I fill it (which I have to do every 7-10 days, even though I've only seen coolant on the ground once or twice), and the coolant recovery tank seems to always be at the same level. I have to pour coolant staight into the radiator. And since the engine is always getting to hot now, it sounds like I just need to get the whole cooling system checked.
#41291 - 04/23/07 02:32 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
Yea, it's obviously leaking. I poured a bunch straight into the radiator, and a while later (after I've moved the car to another spot) there was a wet spot on the ground, and orange drops hanging off the bottom of my car. It hadn't been leaking, so I think it must have been out of coolant (or really really low), and that's also probably why it'd had been getting so hot.

The weird thing is, the coolant level in the recovery tank is ALWAYS the same level, and I mean ALWAYS! Whether it's hot or cool, it seems to be in the same level. And yet, I have to keep adding fluid straight to the radiator. When I add some to the recovery tank, it goes back down to it's normal level in the tank and stays there.

Is it just me, or does that sound weird? lol
#41292 - 04/25/07 12:59 AM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
OK, sorry for the triple post, but if anyone is interested (and Fridge, you might want to check this) I took my car some place today to have it checked out. Sure enough, he opened the hood and looked on the back side of the s/c nose drive, and there was a pool of coolant just sitting there. I guess my friend and I should have been looking on TOP of the engine, instead of underneath, to try and find where it was dripping from.

He told me he drove or drive a Buick Regal, and he had the same problem. It was a busted gasket, I think he said intake, because it's plastic. So, while I was having problems before, it may be something I made worse in my wreck.

Because he'll have to take the supercharger off to fix it, he told me $500-$550, including labor. Said he'd start on it first thing in the morning, and it'd be done by 1-2 p.m. I guess I'm not getting my new bumper or headlights for a while, but at least my engine won't overheat anymore. (Hopefully)
#41293 - 04/25/07 02:37 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Its the LIM gasket. they are plastic and are known to fail.
#41294 - 04/25/07 02:39 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
I got a call from the guy today, and apparrently he needed a whole new set of something (I can't understand his accent very well), so it's going to run me $850 plus tax. This is going to hurt...
#41295 - 04/26/07 03:27 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Dont just do that. Figure out what it is, that is a lot of $ to not know what you are spending it on
#41296 - 04/26/07 04:24 PM Re: Coolant Leak?
Acefighter Offline
*shrugs* It's fixed. Supposedly, anyway. I'll have to keep an eye out for coolant leaks, but there wasn't anything on top of my engine after 15 minutes drive.

The really funny thing...before I took my car in, I had one speaker that worked fine, two that made a vibrating noise, and one that didn't work at all. When I got my car back, ALL FOUR of them work great. laugh Don't know why, but it managed to brighten my mood after spending $920. hehe
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2