Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42250 - 08/28/07 11:23 PM 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
The 77 suburban won.

I was coming home from work and I saw a fire engine in my rear view mirror. I decided to pull over after the intersection. I looked down and HUD said I was going 47mph.

I look up again, yep light is green.

Next thing I know, I see the suburban coming from left to right. The kid ran the red light. Trying to think quickly I cranked the wheel clockwise, so the rear of my car would take the brunt (instead of my door). The force spun me 90 degrees, I slid about 50-100 feet, and ended up with one wheel on the sidewalk.

He ended up with a scratched bumper, I have minor whiplash according to the doctor.

So, how bad is it? Totalled? Dear God I hope not. This was my baby.

Rear drivers door needs to be replaced. Broken tail light. The rest is fender damage, but it's near the gas tank.... No broken glass (not even rear passenger. Trunk opens and closes fine.

I have to call insurance tomorrow, but I'm hoping it's not totalled. What are your thoughts?
#42251 - 08/28/07 11:26 PM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
20gtp02 Offline
Don't think it's totalled. That sucks bad. Your car was just looking sweet too. And I bet that suburban has little or no insurance policy. Did that fire truck swing back around to come to your scene?

#42252 - 08/28/07 11:31 PM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
Richard Candelario Offline
very glad to hear that you're fine. Thats whats important. I think the car can be fixed. Good quick thinkin, BTW, you probably saved yourself quite a bit more soreness from a harder, more direct hit.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#42253 - 08/28/07 11:42 PM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
That hit, had it been to the door, could possibly have killed you. Very good thinking.

As for the damamge, I'm willing to bet it's replacable. I doubt there is any (important) frame damage and the rest is just quarter panels, doors, bumper, and trunk

Rear axle and suspension may need work too. And the gas tank will also need work.

I'm so glad you're ok though.

I think you should take that Burben from the kid and sell it for repair bills if he doesn't have insurance.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#42254 - 08/29/07 12:01 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
UMfan Offline
The kid has insurance. He actually works at that corner and was coming home from work. His coworker saw it all and said he ran the red light. She said I was not at fault at all.

The firefighters went to their fire, then came back and took my side too. They saw the whole thing happen. Very good witnesses to have on my side.

The kid didn't even dispute what happened, he was just in shock. His dad came to the scene and said that he had just watched his best friend die at the car track like a month ago, so this crash shook him up a bit. I reassured them I was fine, and it was probably the only thing that kept me from getting pissed off.
#42255 - 08/29/07 12:06 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Sucks for sure, but cars can be fixed or replaced. You can't.

Glad to hear you're okay.

I agree that it probably will not be totalled. Being an '02 with low miles (less than 50k, right?) it's probably worth 10-12,000 or so in the eyes of insurance. I would estimate the damages at 4-5,000. Less than the 2/3 cutoff (in most cases). Doesn't look pretty though, that's for sure.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#42256 - 08/29/07 01:16 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Good that your okay. I got hit in the same spot and I have a 2002 as well and the insurance company will not consider the gp a total loss but my repair was a little over 4,000 dollars in repairs.

And make sure that you gas guage is working properly because I got hit in the same spot as your car and my fuel sending unit was broken in two pieces from what the guy was telling me and be prepare to have money for your tire to replace if its not damage because I had to pay for a new tire becuase my insurance company does not cover that.

But let us know the outcome tommorow!
#42257 - 08/29/07 01:24 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
Hey man that sucks bad. Good to hear that your ok.

I was in your shoes not so long ago as well. Remember my black GP? I thought it wasn't totalled either and it ended up with a salvage title on it. Hey if they do total just find a Daytona and fix it up nice and purdy.

Good luck with everything.
#42258 - 08/29/07 01:38 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Dre da GP man:
Good that your okay. I got hit in the same spot and I have a 2002 as well and the insurance company will not consider the gp a total loss but my repair was a little over 4,000 dollars in repairs.

And make sure that you gas guage is working properly because I got hit in the same spot as your car and my fuel sending unit was broken in two pieces from what the guy was telling me and be prepare to have money for your tire to replace if its not damage because I had to pay for a new tire becuase my insurance company does not cover that.

But let us know the outcome tommorow!
That's really good to know.

I did the KBB value for Trade In since that's the lowest value...I didn't know if insurance uses the suggested retail trade in. The Trade In was about $9900, and I'm hoping that's low.

I'm wondering if the insurance will cover the body repair and paint, and just let me get a door and rear molding from a scrap yard and I can get it painted later on my own dime when I have the money.

It'll be ugly for a little, but at least I'd have MY car back.

Oh the things to think about when I should be sleeping...
#42259 - 08/29/07 01:40 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Kev-GTP:
Hey man that sucks bad. Good to hear that your ok.

I was in your shoes not so long ago as well. Remember my black GP? I thought it wasn't totalled either and it ended up with a salvage title on it. Hey if they do total just find a Daytona and fix it up nice and purdy.

Good luck with everything.
The Daytonas look slick, but I need a ride ASAP. This is my main family car.

If they total it out, I'm thinking about maybe buying a high mileage GP and then doing an engine swap so I can have my low mileage power train. Then part out the rest of my car.

Guess it all depends on what the claims guy says.
#42260 - 08/29/07 01:42 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
Lino Offline
Loc: Memphis, TN
It is good you are ok. Man I hope the best for you and the GP. Just as long as you can walk from the wreck the GP can be fixed or replaced unlike you. One good thing that is good is that you witness that can clear the accident and there not be a whole mess about that either. Good luck to you. thumbsup

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2590135
#42261 - 08/29/07 01:51 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Wow, man, that really sucks...I'm glad you're ok though.

I wouldn't think the car is totaled...the damage doesn't look like it's anything serious, at least IMO.

But like some other people said, the car's fixable, you aren't.
#42262 - 08/29/07 08:29 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I can not express how bad I feel for your car.
First, of course, I'm glad you are okay.

That sucks soo bad.
I hope the insurance company doesn't total it.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#42263 - 08/29/07 08:45 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Doh!!

Looks reparible to me as well..price will be up there I am sure.

Its good that you have so many witnesses with good reputations as its very possible for the kid and his father and his coworker to change their mind in less time than you can think it about their story. Make sure to get peoples names as far as fire department witnesses.....
#42264 - 08/29/07 09:04 AM Re: 77 Suburban vs. 2002 GTP
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
My jaw just dropped. i was ready to hear about a race. Im am so sorry man. I cant imagine what that feels like...

Seriously though, im really glad to hear that you are ok....but wow.

Good luck with everything, and for what its worth, we're here for you