Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43288 - 01/17/08 01:12 PM Questions: Please Read
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
To Start I'm new here on the forum so Hello everyone!!!

Ok so I have a few questions and a few comments. First off I have been hunting another GTP since I got rid of my last one, I have since found 2 cars that I like, only they both are a little rough around the edges so to speak, so the first is

2000 GP GTP Sedan (4-door) - Black
The car is in excellent shape inside and out, but only 1 things bothers me, The supercharger is unhooked, this worries me in the sense i dont know if anything is wrong with the top end or not, it started i listened to it run w/o the S/C belt, seemed very weak, plus there is oil all over the front of the engine, the car has 155k on it and dude only wants $3000 for it, so I was wondering if someone kould help me troubleshoot this or not.

The Second car:

2001 GP GTP Sedan - White

This car is in over all great shape with exception the driver side turn signal is a little catty-whompus ( not a big deal) the car is clean, well maintaijned, everything works (including the S/C) no weird noises or anything, I havent driven it yet but i am going to this weekend, its has some minor just gettin started rust below the deck lid, behind the top of the rear bumper in the center on the center mount/support, no big deal, the bumpers on these cars are cake to remove (done it many times) this kar has 131k On it for $5000, the only thing is the locks dont work with the PL button, and the key doesnt work in the drivers door, other wise its a great car, the lot owner was an extremely nice guy and said he would help me with my concerns and go over the car and fix anything if i bought it, he doesnt know much about GTP's, so he let me tell him the basics about it, he was honest to me so i was honest with him,

both cars a FULLY LOADED, they have everything incl. a sunroof (which i dont much care for) so I'm asking opinions on which car i should purchase, locks arent a huge deal to me as my uncle works at a dealer ship, so if it will fit in his lunchbox, its free (YES!!), So to the point,what are the expert's opinions? cool

"Mr. Mom"
#43289 - 01/17/08 01:31 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
That's a tough one. I'd investigate the motor on the first one a little more just cause the asking price is 2k lower. Maybe all it needs is a new belt.
#43290 - 01/17/08 01:37 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
StreetShaker Offline
well the dealer that has it is kind of a- for lack of a better word, an azzhole, i asked if he kould get it hooked up if i bought it and he said no way, he klaims to know nothing about the car and says it was repo, theredore he sold it, and should know something, i think he is hiding something and wants to wait till im long gone before i find out, so thats the #2 thing that worries me, hes known to sell both good cars and heaps oof crap all at the same time, so after posting this and some more thought i think ima stick with and try hard for the white one

"Mr. Mom"
#43291 - 01/17/08 01:47 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I would say between the two, the second one IMO would be the best choice. Or you can stick it out for a better one that you want.

And BTW, Welcome!
#43292 - 01/17/08 01:51 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Before I bought the first one, I'd ask if he has an issue with me buying the S/C belt and taking it for a ride before I bought it. If he says no, then the choice is made. The oil isn't a big deal, just a leaking valve cover.
#43293 - 01/17/08 01:57 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
white one sounds better to me, except its white :p By the sounds of it that guy is tryin to hide something like you said. And dealerships have mechanics go over every car to see what shape its in so they can make the most money off of it. They're business men, they are trying to make money. if it looks like a sketchy deal it probobly is. You could buy the black one and it could need 2g worth of work.
#43294 - 01/17/08 02:26 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Sounds like he's a wholesale dealer.

For #1, I bet it just needs supercharger oil so it was unhooked due to the noise. Dunno if the oil everywhere is the valve covers or not.

If you decide on #1, ask for $2000 with $2500 as your walk away number.

Agree to have someone go with you to visually inspect the cars.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#43295 - 01/17/08 02:45 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Well from your response I'd walk away from car one. Unless he'll take $500 for it.
#43296 - 01/17/08 03:35 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
Ask the guys if you can take it to your mechanic. Most places let you do that. I would have them run a compression test and just look over the car in general.

Overall, from what your saying, I would stay away from the black one and probably look closer at the white one. Or like ifitwasnt4u said, maybe stick it out and wait for a better deal!

BTW, WELCOME TO GPN!!!! wink

#43297 - 01/17/08 04:33 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
ChiTownHitta90 Offline
Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Yea i wouls say take them to your mechanic first.

IMO i would never buy a car with that many miles on it. I know these engines are bullet proof but i would spend a couple more 1000's on a lower mile car
#43298 - 01/17/08 04:46 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
StreetShaker Offline
i also found a 02 with 36k for 11G's but im trying to save money, less over all price is fine kause i save money for repairs, minor s*** doesnt bother me, and an engine swap right now is out of the question do to funds, the Black one is originally 5K but after i mentioned the S/C Belt he changed the price REAL QUICK to 3K, so i think he has something to hide, after reading all the opinions i think ima stick with the white one, my old GTP was only $500 bux, it was wrecked but the previous owner didnt wanna finish the reapirs, so 200 bux in parts later i was stompin on 4 bangers like nobodies business, and it had 210K on it, granted it was 2 diff colors, it was still my baby and i loved it very much, i have some pics somewhere, when i find them i will post them up in another thread, thanks for the help guys, and as far as "my mechanic goes" its me myself and i, i do all my work with my dad on my vehicles

"Mr. Mom"
#43299 - 01/17/08 04:58 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
tazfootball2 Offline
Loc: Westport, IN
5 grand to 3 grand, because you saw that, that's a big difference. I wonder what else he is tryin' to get past you. Little fishy to me! I would still run a compression test and look it over really good! Good luck and I hope you find what you want.

#43300 - 01/17/08 05:19 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by StreetShaker:
the Black one is originally 5K but after i mentioned the S/C Belt he changed the price REAL QUICK to 3K, so i think he has something to hide,
You didn't mention that. Yeah, I'd be scared of dealing with him. He is hiding stuff, otherwise he wouldn't be knocking off money for things you would assume he's already taken into the price.
#43301 - 01/17/08 05:20 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
say $750, take it or leave it.
#43302 - 01/17/08 06:36 PM Re: Questions: Please Read
StreetShaker Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
say $750, take it or leave it.
he'd say see ya later, he is an extreme EXTREME RUDE CONTEMPTIBLE person, ide liek to kick him personally

"Mr. Mom"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >