Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44772 - 10/02/02 07:15 PM HUD disappears and fades??? power steering problems?
tricia_gt Offline
Loc: California
Does anybody else seem to have this problem? My local dealership has no idea what's going on. My HUD is really dim, and tends to disappear on me for days! frown

Also, I think my power steering is acting up. I've got a groaning noise when I turn at low speeds. I tried to check the fluid, but I CAN'T FIND the darn thing. The manual says, on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I KNOW I'M NOT THAT STUPID!!! Any help would be appreaciated! THANX!

smile STILL LOVE MY CAR! VROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
#44773 - 10/02/02 07:35 PM Re: HUD disappears and fades??? power steering problems?
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
What year car and what engine?
#44774 - 10/02/02 08:10 PM Re: HUD disappears and fades??? power steering problems?
tricia_gt Offline
1999 GT,V6,3.8 Liter, Automatic.
#44775 - 10/02/02 09:28 PM Re: HUD disappears and fades??? power steering problems?
Steve Offline
Loc: Akron, Ohio
Look at the alternator, follow it straight down the on the firewall side of the engine and you will see the filler cap for the power steering. It is a small black cap. It is tucked underneath the alternator bracket. It is certainly NOT easy to find at a glance.
cool

SLP CAI, DHP, 3.4, 180° stat, Trans cooler, Random Tech DP, Borla cat back, KYB's, bitchin' paperclip mod.
#44776 - 10/02/02 10:02 PM Re: HUD disappears and fades??? power steering problems?
Charles Weber Offline
Loc: Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tricia_gt:
Does anybody else seem to have this problem? My local dealership has no idea what's going on. My HUD is really dim, and tends to disappear on me for days! frown
This is not good. If your local dealership is a Pontiac dealer, you probably need to find another one. If you are still in warranty, it will probably need to be replaced. If you are out of warranty, there is some very good information on the Club GP site. The procedure described has fixed several, but not all. Do a search for How to fix the HUD dimming problem.
It is a fairly common complaint. Mine was replaced in warranty at about 24 months.

Good luck,
Charles
#44777 - 10/03/02 08:22 PM Re: HUD disappears and fades??? power steering problems?
tricia_gt Offline
Thanks Charles, Thanks STEVE!!!

You guys are a lot of HELP!!! laugh

Thanks a bunch!!!!! laugh