Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45996 - 04/13/08 06:21 AM at stop car revs to 5k rpm
mpulse Offline
Loc: Las Vegas
Hey y'all,
im in san Bernardino, and i drove from Vegas.
i got half way after not running my car on the fwy for like a year, i ran it but not for over 15-20min.

im driving right, i get around 125miles or so, and i realize that my car seems faster, more responsive,
it seemed really weird, i didn't understand why it felt so powerful, i didn't have to touch the gas and im doing 80-90mph. banghead

i pull over and i get to the off ramp, to get off the fwy, and i notice that the car dosn't want to slow down, i get off the fwy and im in the middle of nowhere and i start my car and its revving to 5000rpm.

im closer to my destination than my origin so i drive to my destination and im there now, but im not sure was to what could have happened....

im going to unplug the battery tomorrow to see if its a zzp ecu glitch mabey....

but could this be TPS?

or

the fast idle screw, its night time so i cant actually check till morning but any help could help... anything please

thanks alot...

Anthony banghead

3.8 GTP, 3" Exhaust, Dual 40 series Flowmasters, Short ram intake, 3.2 Pully, Ported ZZ Supercharger, TB spacer, TB removed mesh, Pacesetter headers, 3" DP, SS Intercooler, Ported Intake manifold, Voltage booster, ZZ PCM, KYB GR2's
#45997 - 04/13/08 08:15 AM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Sounds like a bad throttle position sensor or a stuck throttle cable.
#45998 - 04/13/08 11:16 AM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Check to see if the throttle is stuck. Otherwise, huge vacuum leak!
#45999 - 04/13/08 02:20 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
mpulse Offline
i actually was thinking both, tps or some kind of leak.. ill see what i can come up with.

but if its a throttle cable, i was looking at that yesterday and i dont see how that could cause it since all snaps back... im betting money its the tps.

3.8 GTP, 3" Exhaust, Dual 40 series Flowmasters, Short ram intake, 3.2 Pully, Ported ZZ Supercharger, TB spacer, TB removed mesh, Pacesetter headers, 3" DP, SS Intercooler, Ported Intake manifold, Voltage booster, ZZ PCM, KYB GR2's
#46000 - 04/13/08 09:06 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
mpulse Offline
replaced the IAC and the TPS nothing as far as i can the cable is in proper condition, its not pulling the butterfly, i push the butterfly lever down and its as far as it can go.

im sooo stumped, mabey the fast ide or ilde adjustment is out of wack, looking in to that now.

#46001 - 04/13/08 09:23 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
mpulse Offline
i also cleaned the TB.. i was reading in another forum about the CAI
didnt know how this could affect this.

#46002 - 04/13/08 09:50 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
mpulse Offline
ok, i just adjusted the idle, with the idle screw under the throttle linkage, it went down to 1500rpm, i dont know if this is the absolute correct way to do it, and i cannot understand why it just all of a sudden just started doing this but its 1/2 fixed....

this is a wierd problem....

i checked for vac leaks again and i find nothing....

is there another way to properly adjust it.

#46003 - 04/13/08 09:56 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
Digitallyphoenix Offline
Loc: Daytona beach, Fl
the idle screw should never be adjusted... if it is too low it will cause binding.

if it isnt the tps... my money would be on maf... but there should be a SES light. either way i would scan it and check for codes

96 Z34 (3.4L DOHC RIP PB 14.81@92.2): www.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix
L36 swap SD header, 2.5" exhaust, HV3, PowrTuner, Wideband, topswap w/ ported heads to be installed
#46004 - 04/13/08 09:57 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
mpulse Offline
the maf just was replaced....

the idle screw is the only thing that lowered my idle...

im sooo stumped

#46005 - 04/13/08 11:44 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
It's a vacuum leak. I don't know how or where, but something is broken or cracked. No sensor that I am aware of will cause the extremely high rpms like you're experiencing.
#46006 - 04/14/08 04:04 AM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
mpulse Offline
ok i made it home and im not sure as to hw i got here wow that was an experience.

that drive was the wierdiest most bazare fearfull drive i have ever done..
took me 5hrs to get to a 3hr place..

i had to stop alot along the way trying to re adjust the idle screw, it would temp slow me down till from what i believe the ecu re-mapps te -0- throttle position or somthing.
then back to the 4500-5000 idle speed

my brakes SHOT
my trans ABOUT TO DIE
oil HAS TO BE SHOT
trans fluid TOTALLY SHOT TO HELL
this poor car...

going down hills with a car running like it was is NOT SAFE and i dont ever recomend it.

i would have to (when going down a hill) take it out of drive throw it in to netural and stomp the brakes. to just throw it back in drive, hoping ill slow down enough that i dont run out of control, while hoping my poor brakes dont give out...

and at the same time hoping i dont blow my motor from over rev and the normal wear on it...

man im glad thats over

but i believe it to be cpu related

im gonna scan it
and see what it says since im home now..

#46007 - 04/14/08 04:26 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
did you try and manually shift it? if you left it in third your rpms might not have been so high...

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#46008 - 04/14/08 05:33 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
mpulse Offline
yeah i did switching to 3rd does nothing i even tried 2nd a few times nothing.
the shifting was wierd aswell too.

1st and 2nd would shit way way too high

#46009 - 04/14/08 07:46 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
You guys seemed to have missed that his idle when in neutral goes to 5000rpm ?MMMMwe have a built in govenor in the PCM that wo'nt allow revving past 4000 on neutral or park ,I suspect a vacuum leak but it's possible you got crap on the throttle plate when you tried cleaning.Chico(pops)
#46010 - 04/14/08 09:25 PM Re: at stop car revs to 5k rpm
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I've never seen a vacuum leak that would cause the car to run at 5k.

Only time I've seen it the problem was the throttle position sensor. Had a manual and try coming to a stop without stalling lol.