Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46154 - 09/03/04 11:57 AM black soot on exhaust tips after 3.4 pulley install
ExpyGator Offline
Loc: Gainesville Florida
I keep my stock tips polished like chrome. However, since I installed a 3.4" pulley and a 180* t-stat, they seem to be really black where the carbon and condensation drip/blow out.

Is this because the computer is trying to adjust for decreased temp and added boost?

Or is it because I can't keep my foot out of it since the pulley went on?
#46155 - 09/03/04 05:05 PM Re: black soot on exhaust tips after 3.4 pulley install
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
Are you running any gauges, you might want to check your air/fuel ratio, might be running a little too rich if thats all you've done, brobably would help to change the plugs, even when I drive my car extremely heavy on the gas I usually dont get a lot of residue on my tips (aftermarket chrome) could be burning oil somewhere too

Do you have an aftermarket PCM or the stock?

Your best bet might be to have it scanned at a local shop just to see how it is running

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#46156 - 09/03/04 05:22 PM Re: black soot on exhaust tips after 3.4 pulley install
ExpyGator Offline
Loc: Gainesville Florida
I am changing the stock plugs to Autolite 104's this weekend. I have only scanned for KR so far. I have access to 2 laptops so I can get all of the air/fuel, etc info that I need. I have the stock PCM. As for burning oil, I hope not. The car has 27,000 miles on it and it was my mom and dads prior to me getting it. My dad is a preventive maint freak so I think I'm good there. the running rich would explain my sh!tty mileage too.
#46157 - 09/03/04 07:53 PM Re: black soot on exhaust tips after 3.4 pulley install
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
yeah, I would start tinkering there

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#46158 - 09/03/04 08:02 PM Re: black soot on exhaust tips after 3.4 pulley install
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
I would have to guess that its not running rich and if it is not buy much. I have a brand new grand prix gt04. I have a lil black build up on the tips. My 99 and 98 gt both have it. Nearly every car will have a lil bit because its carbon and we are burning old dynosaurs. As for why you have more now. Our cars are MAF car more air into the motor more fuel hence a lil more carbon and crappy mileage keep your foot out of it for a week and see if both improve they should. The colder plugs may help a lil bit because you will be burning correctly/cleaner. GO ahead and check the AF's and make sure they are good because it is always good ot be safe but i would guess from what i am seeing your alright. Please post and let us know what you find.