Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46600 - 08/02/04 12:14 AM A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
fresh Offline
Loc: Michigan
My 1998 GTP is slightly modded it has a thrasher CAI, with the 3.4 S/C pulley+ PCM, A Custom Straight back exhaust i made my self (sound wicked), a 180 t-stat new plugs and wires,and new wheels and tires all around 265/35 on 16" polished aluminum.Now my friend has a 1999 camaro z28 with a ls1 stock except new wheels and tires but there only 240/40 on 16" (not quite as wide as mine), polished aluminum, and new dual exhaust except no headers, Iam not sure how much power iam making out of my GTP but it's crazy compaired to it when it was stock, My guess is around 300whp and 355flbtq to the wheel. Who would win?
#46601 - 08/02/04 06:22 AM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Where are you getting your hp estimates from your mods i can see listed you might be a bit optomistic to say the least , have you 1/4 miled your car ? my guess is mid to high 14's which would put you pretty close with the Z now don't get me wrong you have plenty of potential and with some further performance mods your well on the way to 13's i would suggest headers, rockers, lsi throttle body in that order.
#46602 - 08/02/04 10:11 AM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
LS1 z28s are mid-low 13 second cars stock. Just a few mods and you can hit high 12s..

Unless you are wildly modified and he is bone stock and cant drive I dont see you winning. No offense but LS1 Fbodys are pretty quick
#46603 - 08/02/04 10:20 AM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
Chico is correct, on one thing, you sound a little optimistic, I would guess that you are probably pushing 250 to 260 FWHP (remember stock GTP`s run around 190 FWHP wich is not too shabby to begin with, now if that Z is manual then I would say that it really depends how good of a driver your friend is (proper launch and so on) but as far as 1/4 mile times, I think that chico might be understimating the GTP as I have seen stock GTP`s pulling high 14`s, with your mods (and assuming that you are not getting any KR) I wouldn`t be surpised if you are mid to low 14 and maybe a high 13, depending on your launch, but it would definatelly be a close race.
#46604 - 08/02/04 04:00 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
fresh Offline
We raced to day at noon with a couple of friends there, he won but only by a car and a 1/2 length, i got a really good launch and so did he, i was so sure i had him but he just kept on kreeping farther away, we raced farther than a 1/4 mile we both hit about 130 cause we race from a stop sign to a bridge and theres only enough room for one car so i had to get behind him, well race again when i get a 3.0 pulley rockers+cam, possibly no cat and i ordered headers so i think i ll get him next time. Hey thanks for you input but i got to go race my friends 4.6 Mustang GT, he won't shut the hell up about how fast it is and how many races he's won.
#46605 - 08/02/04 04:55 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
Check into the mods I've done. I've thrashed a fair share of LS1's. Down low and up high. My car is running stronger now than when I first put on the mods. It keeps getting better. There's been a lot of heated discussion with regard to LS1 Camaros and TA's. With my mods, I've only been able to beat automatic trans LS1's. 6spd Camaros and WS6 TA's with intake and exhaust work are(I'm sorry to say), virtually unbeatable at any speed. You would need to be well into the twelves to put up a good fight. However, you do have a good shot at nailing that Mustang, especially if it's stock and an automatic) 5spd and an exhaust are a little tougher. I hope I didn't bum you out. Let us know what happened with the stang. Put some race gas in before you go at it.

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#46606 - 08/02/04 05:11 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
Quote:
Originally posted by fresh:
We raced to day at noon with a couple of friends there, he won but only by a car and a 1/2 length, i got a really good launch and so did he, i was so sure i had him but he just kept on kreeping farther away, we raced farther than a 1/4 mile we both hit about 130 cause we race from a stop sign t
he's won.
what c.r. or s.r. did you guys race at cause ive been stayin at livonia MI. and i was lookin for some good racin cause i heard it was by the airport by 12th ave off the big road
darthvader hammer
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#46607 - 08/02/04 10:34 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
fresh Offline
We live in armada it's a redneck town, we are like the only two that have cars and not trucks, so it's hard to find a good race as well, i can only race my friends cause there the only ones who have cars. Oh yeah my friend with the mustang raced me and i smoked him by at least a good 5 car lengths, his was an automatic like the Z28
#46608 - 08/02/04 10:56 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
fresh Offline
My other friend chris has a 1997 grand cherokee special edition with a 5.9Lt ( he also thought it was supercharged like mine,comes to find out he dosent know what hes talking about) in it with 102,000 miles. ive raced him in the past and i won, it was great to cause he had his girlfriend in the car and he was trying to look like a bad ass, he asked me to race i wasent even thinking about racing at the time, i beat him by a good 5 car lengths but now he claims that when we raced he was only running on 7 cylinders cause one of his spark plugs was cracked, and he also claims that the spark plugs and wires were the original from 1997, and he claims that same day ( remember we live in the middle of no where in a redneck town)he dyno tested it and and he gained an extra 50hp to the wheel and now he wants a rematch. Ithink he's just pissed of that his girlfriend had to watch him lose. He knows what ive done to my GTP but he just wont listen, he's so confident that he wants to bet 50$ cash, looks like ill be getting some free gas money for the next couple of weeks. were going to race AGAIN tomorrow at noon, hopefulley he'll listen to me this time!
#46609 - 08/02/04 10:56 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
well fresh had you raced a real V8 ie one with a manual you would have had an even better run for your money. The only time a gm automatic is good is it if is modified. Stock they suck. Ford automatics are even worse in the mustang. But my guess is you would beat a bone stock 5 spd 4.6 as well. However i think right driver the 6spd ls1 would have done more than 1.5 car lengths...i have driven all of the above cars in multiple trims and i know what all is cable of.

Now here is a race for you. Find someone with 04 neon srt4 wiht stage one and cold air and see how well you fare..
#46610 - 08/02/04 11:25 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
fresh Offline
I live in the middle of no where so about the only place i can find a srt-4 is at the dealer ship, just playin i'll find one willing to race and i'll let you know what went down, keep in mind i just got this car about a month ago and ive spent like $2 grand in mods so i'll do even more mods in this next month as soon as my parts come in the mail, i used to drive a plymouth sundance 2.2lt with 93hp so iam still getting used to my GTP and if you read my other post you'll see i ordered cam, rockers, headers,trans+oil cooler, and a 3.0 pulley another 800 bucks, so ill probably beat an srt-4
#46611 - 08/02/04 11:27 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
fresh Offline
My GTP is an automatic so if i had raced a manual ls1 i deffinetly would of gotten smoked.
#46612 - 08/02/04 11:40 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
anderr09 Offline
Loc: Milford, MA
my brother owns a 1995 Z28. the thing's all power. GTPs are fast but i'd have to say the american muscle would win.
#46613 - 08/02/04 11:46 PM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
fresh Offline
Yeah if you read my post it did win but only by 1 1/2 car lengths.
#46614 - 08/03/04 03:47 AM Re: A modded GTP vs A Camaro Z28
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Quote:
Originally posted by fresh:
800 bucks, so ill probably beat an srt-4
Well for 1600 or so dollars a srt will dyno approx 270 wh and about 320 ftlbs. and run a mid 12 second on streets and low on slicks......so you must be running really strong... stock teh car has 30 more whp than our gtp's and is only 600 lbs lighter, hence the fastest stock car under 20k and pretty much under 30k. not to diss on gp's i love them to death and own one but when it comes to claims on a race you gotta know what you got...your buddy with the jeep....hahah jeep in a race hahahhaha....thats like an 03 eclipse vs a mustang 4.6 5spd....or a grand prix se......for that matter.