Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4789 - 10/22/08 11:58 AM Trans Service???
Pontiac Dude Offline
Loc: Indiana
Hey guys, 2002 Grand Prix Gt reg. 3800
I have 52,000 miles. At this point would you
get your transmission fluid changed or would
you just keep driving it. It shifts fine.
#4790 - 10/22/08 12:11 PM Re: Trans Service???
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Read this and decide for yourself.

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
[QB] Well today while I was waiting for my Niece I opened up the owners manual and started flipping through it. Know what I found? What Pontiac recommends for tranny fluid/filter changes.

The owners manual says you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions,

1. In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90F (32C) or higher.

2. In hilly or mountainous terrain

3. When doing frequent trailer towing

4. When used like a taxi, police cruiser or delivery type service.

the fluid and filter do not require changing. (it says this for both 50k and 100k)
If you have any hesitation I'd go ahead and change it. It's in the window according to Pontiac. Don't flush just drain change filter and refill.

sorry didn't catch the whole quote didn't carry over.
#4791 - 10/22/08 01:01 PM Re: Trans Service???
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
so if u havent, dont?

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.
#4792 - 10/22/08 01:55 PM Re: Trans Service???
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
i dont go by that owners manual method at all. I reccomend doing it.
#4793 - 10/22/08 11:40 PM Re: Trans Service???
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I wouldn't flush it because I had mine flush at 77,000 miles and its been slipping for about a year now. But when i bought this car I didn't know about the tranny flush until I joined this club, and by then it was too late because the damage was already done to my tranny.
#4794 - 10/23/08 12:41 PM Re: Trans Service???
gteisele Offline
Loc: New Jersey
do not flush!!!.....just drain and fill
(99 GT),K&N 9" intake,ZZP HV TB(68mm), ZZP PCM,ZZP front powerlog, HV3 intake manifold spacer, 3" DP to SLP exhaust,Comp Cam 801 and springs, MSD ignition,Voltage Booster,black housing headlights with HID kit and halos
#4795 - 10/23/08 12:49 PM Re: Trans Service???
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
I would have to disagree some of you about flush cause tranmission problem. My car have been flush at 100K mileage service. I'm driving over 5K mileage right now. I don't have any problem with tranmission.

Since your car is driving fine at 50K then I won't need change it. I have change my fluid, flush and filter at 100K service and running strong.
#4796 - 10/23/08 01:11 PM Re: Trans Service???
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by palsut:
I would have to disagree some of you about flush cause tranmission problem. My car have been flush at 100K mileage service. I'm driving over 5K mileage right now. I don't have any problem with tranmission.

Since your car is driving fine at 50K then I won't need change it. I have change my fluid, flush and filter at 100K service and running strong.
5k miles and one car tell you not to. Whereas I have seen numerous cars go in for a flush and come back within 20k miles and their tranny is dead tells me that youre wrong
#4797 - 10/23/08 01:51 PM Re: Trans Service???
palsut Offline
Okay fine... I will see how many mileage I'm going to put on her and let you know if I have any problem. Since, I'm not driving this car during winter season.
#4798 - 10/23/08 02:57 PM Re: Trans Service???
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
It doesn't always destroy the tranny but it happens enough that it's best just to stick to a regular servicing. If you notice nowhere is it recommended for a tranny flush.

Food for thought. Why tranny's slip. Autotranies have clutch bands to engage the gears. As the clutch bands wear(they smooth out) that grit goes into the fluid. Now over time you have a high mileage tranny with the clutch bands worn out but you don't know it because all that grit is now in the fluid providing the necassary traction for the clutch bands to engage. Once you flush the tranny you now remove all that friction material and now your bands need to do all the work and if there isnot enough grit they won't work and now your tranny slips.

Personally if the tranny isn't slipping and it shifts like it should you leave it alone.

Many manufacturers have recently went as far as to seal the tranny so much that you can't even check the fluid level. It's not even service friendly. There is a small fill port similar to a rear diff or transfer case for topping the fluid off.
#4799 - 10/23/08 11:04 PM Re: Trans Service???
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Well here's my thought's on trans. service I think regular fluid & filter change is a good idea ,as far as a flush it can be risky some have no problems flushing but some have had issues after flushing so do at your own risk,a few years ago I owned a Chevy P/U and flushed the tranny and drove it for another 50k with no problems so whose to say ,i believe if you have any wear it's going to surface with a problem after flushing but if the internals arein good shape you shold be OK.Chico(pops)
#4800 - 10/24/08 12:29 AM Re: Trans Service???
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
I've never had an issue with flushing a transmission...I work at a mechanic shop for about a year and half...we're pretty busy so we do a lot of transmission flushes on all kinds of cars. We never had one car come back with a broken transmission after a flush.
Unless there's already something wrong, a transmission flush isn't going to do anything bad.
#4801 - 10/24/08 12:36 AM Re: Trans Service???
palsut Offline
That's good to know jjcom... I know my car is fine after 5K miles of driving. I don't have any unusually problem after this tranny flush service but I guess I will wait and see when I reach 20K after tranny flush like everyone say.