Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49149 - 01/18/06 08:52 PM Aftermarket sound systems
02GPGT Offline
Loc: Oregon, OH
has anyone found a place to buy custom subwoofer boxes for grand prixs?! i want to get subs but i dont want to loose all of my trunk space or the rear-seat pass through. I found one website that gave directions on how to built one but i dont have the skills to built one as techincal as that?! any ideas?!

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
#49150 - 01/18/06 09:07 PM Re: Aftermarket sound systems
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
well zoom from zzp owns kick autosound in Grandrapids,MI. ld say get ahold of zzp and and c if they have anything
my personal favroite would be a box that would hold 2 8" subas that woudl fit over the hump between teh rear seats.
i would also suggest go with kenwood speakers. so you have great highs and mids to go with teh deep powerfull lows.

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#49151 - 01/18/06 09:35 PM Re: Aftermarket sound systems
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I wanted the pass through and the trunk space as well, but I was too cheap to build/buy a custom sub enclosure. I had the stereo place use "bullet plugs" when they wired from my amp to my subs. I can't seem to find the exact ones I have online to show you...but it's gold plated and it's a quick disconnect.

So, when I want to use the pass through, I can either rotate my sub box inside my trunk, or just disconnect that cable with the same ease you unplug a power cord from an outlet.

They claim it degrades the sound quality slightly, but I don't notice a difference.

Anyway, that is your cheapest alternative...
#49152 - 01/18/06 09:37 PM Re: Aftermarket sound systems
shawny519 Offline
Loc: Kansas
8" subs? smile
2000 Grand Prix GTP...Memphis 1000 watt RMS amp, 2 Audiobahn 15"'s in custom box, Sony X-Plod Deck, and Bose package. Pontiac windshield decal, bumper fill ins, hood scoop, GTP overlay, U-bend delete, 180 T-stat, FlowMaster 40's, 3.5" pulley, CAI.
#49153 - 01/19/06 09:03 AM Re: Aftermarket sound systems
97GrandPrix Offline
Loc: Houston
An 8" has the same surface area as a 6x9", so you might as well just keep them instead. Go with at least a couple 10's.
#49154 - 01/19/06 09:32 AM Re: Aftermarket sound systems
ohgrfreak Offline
Loc: KC, Mo
My JL 6x9's already shake the whole car in my Mitsubishi, so adding a couple 8" subs will have a nice effect, unless you want to bother everyone else on the road.

(sorry if that sounded rude)

What I meant to say was does it matter what other people outside your car think of your bass? A pair of powerful 6x9's added with a couple high end 8" woofers will give me motion sickness alone, why is anything else neccassary? I love a good sound system as much as anyone, as I have put great thought and money into my own.

But of course, if you can stuff some 10"s or 12"s in your car, make it sound nice without rattles, and have them work along with the mids and highs in your ride, then that's good.
#49155 - 01/19/06 10:51 AM Re: Aftermarket sound systems
boosnark1 Offline
Loc: Cartersville, GA
I've seen setups that left the pass-though, but the speakers were pointed into the trunk instead of forward (focused on the latch). Not much room to point 12" subs into the car with that configuration.

I was going to use the pass-through to house the EQL and the amps, but I got in a hurry (Christmas time, no bass for 6 years, impatience, a few days left of being out from surgury).

I'll fiddle with it when I have some of that time stuff...
Mods: Pulley Boys 3.4" pulley, JimmyC downpipe /w cat, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, Taylor plug boots(Red), NGK TR-55 IX plugs, Thasher CAI, MAP Throttle Body Spacer, MAP Exhaust heat shield, GMPP handling upgrade kit, Energy Suspension Poly bushings, 97-02 Lotek A-pillar(3 gauge), Autometer Sport-Comp guages (boost, oil pressure, transmission temp), SilverStars Halogen bulbs, Blazertech 2200 foglights, Hawk HPS pads, F-body brakes, and rebuilt tranny....