Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4916 - 06/15/07 05:08 PM rising temp
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
so i have had a really high temp the past few days, i mean i talking the engine is almost at the redline at 260. The car has always seemed to run relatively low, like at 185, and then over the winter my check engine light came on and it came with a code that said my coolant temp sensor was bad, but then a few months later it turned off and i havent had any problems, my car was leaking last week and then it stopped and some of the guys suggested it was coolant, but my check engine light isnt on, so my coolant shouldnt be low, but im gonna go check it, any ideas what the prob is, its like 90 degrees out

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#4917 - 06/15/07 05:10 PM Re: rising temp
20gtp02 Offline
Just because the light went off, doesn't mean you don't have a problem still. You probably have very little coolant in there to cool the engine. And if you are still running a clogged or bad sensor, you should get that taken care of.

#4918 - 06/15/07 05:14 PM Re: rising temp
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
You need to look at the really quick, if the temp gets too hot you can blow a head gasket and thats not goign to be fun. Frist change the sensor, second fill it upp with water, then in a dry area strat the car and let it run and keep an eye out under the car for the coolant leak, then tras it back.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#4919 - 06/15/07 06:18 PM Re: rising temp
*Nice-Try* Offline
Loc: Kitchener, Ontario
Dude!!!!
Never rely on gauges always do a physical check.
I would check the coolant! Check the Bottle and the rad. Look around the water pump and the elbow under the SC. Check the Oil does it have a milky look to it?
U really can not rely on gauges have to look under the hood often. Make sure all is well even thought the light does not tell u.
The Coolant light only comes on when the Bottle is empty, but if stuff gets caught in the Coolant level sensor the light could stay off.
Also did u know that ur check oil light only comes on at approx. 3psi by then ur engine is cooked.
As per the Temp sensor what did it come on for?? High or Low Temp or activity?
#4920 - 06/15/07 07:45 PM Re: rising temp
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
That is wayyyyy too high.

Dont drive it, im guessing there is no coolant in there or your Water pump is saying good bye
#4921 - 06/15/07 08:50 PM Re: rising temp
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
wow, I can't believe your car hasn't blown up yet

'97 SE with alot of mods
#4922 - 06/15/07 11:21 PM Re: rising temp
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
ok so here is what my dad told me tonight, he had to have the lower gasket replaced (for about 2000), because it ruptured, Luckily oil pressure put oil in my coolant and not the other way around cuz that would have sucked. Anyway i looked in my coolant thing when i put coolant in there and there is oil residue in there, which means oil is getting back in my coolant, i think there was a warranty so they should replace the gasket if it's ruptured again, i dont know what to do but my coolant was low so i filled it up. im thinking that was my problem with the temp, we're gonna flush it tomorrow morning and try and find out if the oil is still leaking or if its just a minor prob.

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#4923 - 06/15/07 11:38 PM Re: rising temp
Richard Candelario Offline
again, DONT DRIVE THAT CAR!!! pay the extra cash to have it towed to the ppl that messed up the repairs.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#4924 - 06/16/07 12:44 AM Re: rising temp
*Nice-Try* Offline
Loc: Kitchener, Ontario
Yah dont drive ur car till it is fixed..just cause more issues! if coolant does get into the oil it could take out the crank bearings.
Make sure u get the good intake gaskets!!! NO PLASTIC, get Fel-Pro steel gaskets... seriously make sure of this or u will have the same issue again.
And Warranty ... Well good luck with that
#4925 - 06/16/07 09:11 AM Re: rising temp
The Fridge Offline
Loc: Green Bay Wisconsin
Plus the coolant sensor it like 13$ I had to put one in. If you are paying 2k to fix your car you might as well spend the extra 13.

CAI, 180deg thermostat

If Your Drinking A Coke Please PM Me The Code Eh?
#4926 - 06/16/07 02:53 PM Re: rising temp
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
wow...if the oil is getting into the coolant, then i would venture to guess that some coolant is in the oil. Just dont drive it please. I dont want to hear about you parting this car out.

although i do need a front bumper...lol