Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49232 - 09/16/02 03:28 PM HOW's YOUR TARNNY
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
Just had a good idea to start a new chain on tranny news. I was going to buy the after market SC for my girlfriends GT but not sure if the tranny can hold the 270 hp. Want to know all there is about the trannies in the GPs. Difference between GT & GTP and how peoples trannies are holding up ( wear and tear ) with all the mods being done. Thanks for all posts.
#49233 - 09/16/02 03:29 PM Re: HOW's YOUR TARNNY
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
Might even be better if I could spell tranny lol
#49234 - 09/16/02 05:20 PM Re: HOW's YOUR TARNNY
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
I'm sure you can find most of this information out there, but here's a quick rundown.

The 4T65E-HD (the GTP tranny) has a stronger case and different final drive ratio.

Most of the problems people run into with GTP trannys are differentials exploding or clutches simply wearing out. INTENSE has a replacement input shaft due to a number of high-horsepower cars snapping this as well.

But seeing as though you're pretty much stuck running the 4T65E, you can get the limited slip diff and hope for the best.

Since tranny heat is a killer of clutches, you would be best served by getting a tranny cooler and probably the aftermarket trans-pan. A shift kit to minimize clutch slippage would be preferred, but this may lead to breakages down the line (CV joints, etc).

My word of caution: wait for the first few CSCs to be installed, then jump in. at that cost and risk, it's not really all that cool to be the first to toast a 4T65E simply because you wanted the SC.

ferb!