Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49716 - 10/18/02 08:06 PM Problems Wit my 97
RDY2Go Offline
Loc: Warre, MI
97 GTP with Repro PCM, K&N cone, flowmaster exaust, no dealer wants to service and I need help. Fuel problems, installed new fuel filter, car ran until warm, starts with fuel pressure normal for about 1 min then drops to 0. Took off fuel filter blow out-reinstall car runs, but poorly for about 2 mins, then not at all. Repeat proceder-same results. Dropped gas tank, inlet sock looks dirty but not too much so. Any body got any ideas? HELP! confused
#49717 - 10/19/02 02:14 PM Re: Problems Wit my 97
Mike46 Offline
Loc: Fort Hood, TX
You should check your injectors, they could be going bad. It could also be a problem with a relay or sensor. My friends '90 Dakota did the same thing and thats what was wrong with his. Took the guys at the shop a month to find the problem too.
#49718 - 10/21/02 11:10 PM Re: Problems Wit my 97
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,
No dealer wants to service???? Man, that's some weak service. I could understand warranty coverage, but just to work on it?
This sounds wayy to obvious, but, are you sure you're putting the filter on flowing the right way? Some filters have a check valve in them, to keep the fuel from flowing back to the tank.

http://pdxcgp.com
#49719 - 10/22/02 12:59 AM Re: Problems Wit my 97
walrus Offline
Loc: MI
Find someone who's not a dealer for service. Dealers suck in my experience and are always very costly. Save money and time with a private mech. who knows his stuff. Have you replaced the fuel pump?
#49720 - 10/23/02 01:27 AM Re: Problems Wit my 97
cap Offline
Loc: Canada
Back to basics my man. You need three things. Fuel, air and ignition. Check all three. If all OK, you might want to re-install the old PCM. If you get it moving at all, head for a shop with a dynometer. There they can run the car and do a whole bunch of things that they can't if it's sitting static. Sometimes you have to put it under load to find the problem. Hope this helps. My job is fixing the things, so don't panic. Probably something very, very simple. smile
#49721 - 10/24/02 07:22 AM Re: Problems Wit my 97
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Before taking the car to a dyno, I'd suggest finding someone with an autotap and checking all of your values (O2s, fuel,...). You can do search on either this site or ClubGP to learn what values you should be seeing and then compare those to what you're actually getting. Was the car running fine until you installed the new fuel filter? If so, can you reinstall the old one just to get a comparison? If it runs ok, maybe you got a bum fuel filter. If the problems persist, maybe its the fuel pump relay. If that's ok... could be the fuel pump itself. We've had a number of them go bad on other owners.

Good luck,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#49722 - 10/24/02 10:33 PM Re: Problems Wit my 97
EVIL98GT Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
I think everyone here has good ideas when it comes to diagnostics. I agree on everything. I ad probs w/a Firebird with a 3.8 (not mine) and it was fuel injectors. was fine till warmed up then when to crap. but those puppies are expensive ( to me anyway)
#49723 - 10/28/02 05:46 PM Re: Problems Wit my 97
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
Air in the line. If run into this with other fuel injected cars.
There should be a bleed line, (same place you check the fule pressure)
Try opening the bleed line, and turn the key on and off. (make sure to use a hose on the bleed line, specifically a clear hose so you can see the pressure).
after a few minutes of this. Get a fuel pressure gauge (or a pressure gauge) and keep it on the line, turn the car to on, but don't start. See if the fule bleeds out. Your filter connection may be leaking or not enough pressure, or it is backing up on itself. If pressure stays high, next is pressure regulator. Cold have debris. Next will be the injectors. You can usually pull the plugs and tell.
#49724 - 10/30/02 03:32 PM Re: Problems Wit my 97
Jeff Nelson Offline
Loc: Ohio
There is a resistor in the fuel pump power line, located behind the battery in the right wheel-well. Large white ceramic piece.

My symptoms were similar to yours when it died. It did not completely die for some time, always primed the pump, but then stopped.

Jeff
#49725 - 10/30/02 09:49 PM Re: Problems Wit my 97
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Nelson:
There is a resistor in the fuel pump power line, located behind the battery in the right wheel-well. Large white ceramic piece.
Good pull....I've seen many posts on this resistor...I've seen people that write the fact that they carry one of these resistors in their glove box, like a fuse.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com