Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49751 - 01/02/03 07:05 AM Pulley tool
Ryan Offline
Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
Does anyone in the Savannah, GA area have a pulley puller? I feel like an ass. I always read about not using a 3 claw puller. So a co worker and I had a picture of the grandprixstore puller and decided to manufacture one. Needless to say it didn't work. It bent the pulley so we decided to stop. I took the belt off and am driving around like that. I figure before I do any more damage I will see if anyone in my local area has a puller. When I got home i read through all the horror stories about this swap in the archives.

Ryan
#49752 - 01/03/03 10:23 AM Re: Pulley tool
Ryan Offline
I also put in a 160 degree thermostat at the same time when I was screwing up my pulley. Now after driving about 150 miles with the 160 thermostat and no supercharger belt my SES light came on. I once again have searched the archives but didn't find anything that really answered this question. Would the 160 thermostat or driving without the supercharger belt trigger this SES light? Please Help

Ryan
#49753 - 01/06/03 06:25 PM Re: Pulley tool
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
unless you do extreme stuff you should really have 180 F stat as with a 160 you do too much damage unless you dragrace. the engine light is on when you have emission problems. is there anything else you have done to the engine besides taking down the belt? with you low milage (2K) 160F stat might be the cause.
#49754 - 01/06/03 11:37 PM Re: Pulley tool
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

Seems to me, I've seen in the past.....
The computer tracks the engine temps, if it see's too many miles of never reaching "normal operating temperatures". It will set off a SES light, thinking there's something wrong w/ the cooling system. I don't remember if there's a cure or not, maybe someone will chime in, if I'm wrong, or with a cure.
Like I said, it seems like I've seen this before, so it's probably in the archives if that's the case.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com
#49755 - 01/07/03 11:29 AM Re: Pulley tool
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
I checked out your page and that is a sweet ride. one cool thing that I have not thought about is the plexiglass cover for the air filter!! I was going to make one out out of old headlight lenses. Can you tell me what was roughly the amount of plexi that you used ( if you remember) and since I have not worked with it did you cut it to size yourself and if so with what? a normal glass cutter? any help would be great!! thanks
#49756 - 01/07/03 09:47 PM Re: Pulley tool
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Thanks for the comments,

Actually, I bought the plexiglass from a plastics shop by the pound. It was just in their scrap box, @ $1 a pound. That's why the top is in 2 pieces, there wasn't a piece large enough to make a lid.
Before making any cuts, I cut out flat panels out of cardboard boxes and began by cutting a template out of those. Start with the bottom. I made mine big enough to hold the PCM, and built my side panels to match up to that. You will go through a lot of cardboard doing trial and error. Better than spendy Plexi-Glass.
When cutting the plastic, I tried scoring it w/ a utility knife, and snapping it. I was unsuccessful at that approach. I don't know if it was because I didn't have the patience to score it enough times, or if that's just not the way to do it.
I found the easiest way to cut it was with my skillsaw for straight cuts. This can be dangerous, if the blade catches the edge of the plastic just right, it sends small fragments of plastic at a high rate of speed in an undetermined direction.
The safest way I found to cut it was with a rotozip. If you make a guide for the Zipsaw to follow, you can make a straight line.
Anymore questions, feel free.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com
#49757 - 01/10/03 10:04 AM Re: Pulley tool
Ryan Offline
thanks for the info guys. I got the 160 thermostat free when i bought the pulley. that's the only reason i have it. I found a puller for rent at zzperformance.com hopefully it will be here this weekend so i can get my new pulley on. my car is really a dog with out the supercharger. now i know what the gt guys feel like and why they always want to install a supercharger.
#49758 - 01/13/03 08:50 AM Re: Pulley tool
BeaSSt Offline
Loc: Savannah, GA
Hey Ryan, check out this link below concerning the 160* T-Stat. They've got a trend going on over there on the 160* T-stat.

I'm running what I think is a 160* T-stat(it was in the GTP when I purchased it) and have had no problems w/ the SES lite, yet.

As for the pulley, I was looking into doing the 3.4 pulley just haven't gotten around to it, yet. Mainly b/c of the reasons you've run into w/ the gear puller and the bent pulley. Btw, did the pulley puller show up???

Good luck,
Don

[size=1]'88 T-Top SSilver-n-Grey Monte Carlo SS 350ci/400hp-700r4 Dart SSportsman heads w/ Accel hi energy ignition w/ 8.8mm Accel wires & HEI SSuper coil w/ cap, Crane Hi Energy cam w/ 527 left, Performer Intake w/ a Eldabrock Comp. 680cfm carb., Dynomax headers - 2 1/2 dual flowmasters and a trunk load of speakers & amps[/size=1] cool
http://www.fbody.com/members/nuwnre/
#49759 - 01/15/03 12:04 PM Re: Pulley tool
Ryan Offline
Yeah the puller showed up and i did the swap. I kinda had troubles getting the new puley all the way on though. The smaller pulley makes a big difference I love it.