Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50779 - 09/23/07 10:04 PM Help me decide.
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I've brought this up before, but lets do it again.
I need my mod bug fix before winter. Budget is up to $200-400, pending on a few things. Lets hear some input.

I. Alky-injection
I can pick up a used kit for cheap ($150-200). I'd probably have to have a custom TB spacer cut to put the nozzle in, since there aren't any thick solid TB spacers for the L36 (nobody sprays).
FYI, this isn't NOS. "Alcohol injection is a method for cooling the combustion chambers of engines by adding water/methanol mix to the incoming air-fuel mixture. This allows for greater compression ratios and largely eliminating the problem of engine knocking due to detonation." http://www.alcohol-injection.com/

II. Intercooler (cheap DIY)
I can get this setup for $350 + misc parts/tubes. This will obviously net the most power of my list here, but I would not like a broken transmission quite yet -- my 2nd car (rx7) will be down for at least a few months, into the winter, for major body work (and possible LS1 swap *innocent whistle* j/k- not yet).
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_i...bef09bd0b031ace

III. Wideband O2
Some of you here realize the greatness of having a wideband sensor. With my odd setup I may need it more than the average GTP modder. Also this may help me troubleshoot/accept my not-so-good fuel economy situation. Most WBO2's have simulated narrowband outputs which is really cool, and I could get a gauge. The powertuner's A/D inputs could also let me incorperate WB readings into a scan. Cost $200-400.

IV. Nothing
Wait till spring to do anything, and put the money towards a new synthesizer or the rx7!

So... what do you guys/gal think?
#50780 - 09/23/07 10:15 PM Re: Help me decide.
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
You have enough tuning knowledge to make alky injection work for you so that's a good option. I hear it works wonders if you get it right. But you always need to have fluid for it. If you run out, you could be in a world of ****...

The intercooler looks even more complicated than prebuilt ones I can buy online. You'll have to count me out on advice about these, they scare me...

What year is the rx-7? They are good looking cars and the engines are great too!

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#50781 - 09/23/07 10:28 PM Re: Help me decide.
zuulmusic Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
If you run out, you could be in a world of ****...
I know. Same thing if the cheap IC pump dies, too.
I'm going to make a solution to that:
Current measuring sensors in line with the motors (alky pump or ic pump) that will detect absense of current when they should be running, and in result, change my IAT resistance that will spoof my PCM into retarding timing to a specified amount.
Also use a tank level monitor sensor that will do the same thing if fluid is too low. And either situation would set an indicator light for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
What year is the rx-7? They are good looking cars and the engines are great too!
1991, red. I love the look too, as long as its completely stock (hate rice). Engines... ehhh the rotary in it actually sucks. Horrible emissions, gas mileage, and will blow easily. The turbo version rotary isn't too bad, though. Still a PITA... I'd much rather do a V8 swap down the road laugh
#50782 - 09/23/07 11:36 PM Re: Help me decide.
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
wideband FTMFW!!

'97 SE with alot of mods
#50783 - 09/23/07 11:56 PM Re: Help me decide.
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
if you swap to an L26 aluminum UIM, the required TB spacer/adaptor may provide the hardware you need for the alky injection.

although the WBO2 idea doesnt sound bad either.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#50784 - 09/24/07 12:39 AM Re: Help me decide.
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
I like the intercooler idea best. But I don't have a lot of knowledge on the wideband or the alky.

If you don't like the pump you could buy a very nice GM pump which should last a long time. So I say go for it, but its just me.
#50785 - 09/24/07 06:26 AM Re: Help me decide.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I say If you have the means to get an IC that would be the way to go.
#50786 - 09/24/07 11:41 AM Re: Help me decide.
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
save. for when the tranny takes a dump
#50787 - 09/24/07 11:45 AM Re: Help me decide.
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
save. for when the tranny takes a dump
x2 on that. Although the intercooler set up will be the best bang. Do you think the tranny is goin to go soon or has it been strong?

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#50788 - 09/24/07 07:54 PM Re: Help me decide.
zuulmusic Offline
Alright, I just picked up an Innovative motorsports LC-1 wideband, new for $160 shipped!!
Appreciate the encouragement for the tranny saving... I will try. LC-1 should tide me over for the winter I think.
#50789 - 09/24/07 08:00 PM Re: Help me decide.
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
where did you get that good of a deal?! awesome man

'97 SE with alot of mods
#50790 - 09/24/07 08:04 PM Re: Help me decide.
zuulmusic Offline
Clubgp classifieds. My reward for catching something early in the post and throwing a lower offer smile
wizaired sale money put to some good... thanks jesse!