Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51610 - 06/23/04 12:06 AM "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
pontiacmatt98 Offline
Loc: Macon, Georgia
Hey guys..got a question..When Im at idle, be it in park or reverse or drive, I hear this "buzzing" noise coming from what appears to be the transmission. Now, to me it sounds like a bearing going bad or something like that. I listened for the same noise around the drivebelt area, but no "buzzing" sound. I only hear it inside the drivers side from where I suppose the differential is located, but Im not sure. Furthermore, I wonder if its just a normal sound these GM trannys make...can someone make light of this??Thanks..
#51611 - 06/23/04 10:49 AM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
differntial is on the passanger side an the tranny shouldn`t be making any noises if in park, (unless you are having problems with the torque converter) it might be a bearing (remember sounds do travel and make you think that they are comming out of somewhere else) keep us posted.
#51612 - 06/23/04 02:43 PM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
pontiacmatt98 Offline
well do the 4T65s have any history of torque converters going out...granted this is a very torquey engine were dealing with here, but Im not sure if this is the problem..I listened for the same noise on the passenger side, but didnt hear it there; only on the drivers side and it was like a "buzzing" or "chirping" noise..not very loud though. I havent noticed any difference in performance..other than the lag from 3rd to overdrive, which isnt as bad in Perf. mode. I am due for a tranny flush and will do so in a couple of weeks..wonder if getting that old fluid out will make any difference?? Thanks for the advice Cris..I appreciate it. Anybody else got any ideas on this?
#51613 - 06/24/04 01:37 PM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
anderr09 Offline
Loc: Milford, MA
i have a 98 gtp like yours with a slight warp in a disc inside the nose of my supercharger (the cone looking piece that juts out the side of the supercharger on the pulley side). when i'm at idle i hear buzzing, almost sounds like a grinding.

if my car's running i can put my hand on the nose and actually feel the warped disc. check to see if u can feel something moving around awkwardly in the nose.
#51614 - 06/24/04 09:43 PM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
pontiacmatt98 Offline
yeah..I checked all of that..no unusual noise from around the driveline area...its definately coming from the drivers side..however I dont believe its something to be concerned about right now..Im just curious if someone else has experienced the same thing. Its not a loud noise at all; just something I notice every now and then while its running. Seems to be coming from that side pan of the tranny just inside the black splash guard behind the LF wheel..
#51615 - 06/27/04 03:52 PM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
RICKS0240TH Offline
Loc: MINNESOTA
THIS NOISE YOU HEAR COULD BE A NEEDLE BEARING IN THE STATOR SHAFT OF YOUR TRANSMISSION.THEY HAVE A HISTORY OF FAILING(BAD BATCH OF BEARINGS)IF THE NOISE IS LOUDER IN PARK AND NEUTRAL,THAT IS YOUR NOISE.HOPE THIS HELPS.
#51616 - 06/29/04 11:59 AM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
pontiacmatt98 Offline
Do you reckon this is something that could leave me stranded if it decided to "lock up"? I know its prolly gonna mean a rebuild, but if its something that I can ride on for a while, thatd be great..I really dont have the money for a tranny rebuild right now..Anyone else had this problem before??
#51617 - 06/29/04 12:22 PM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by anderr09:
i have a 98 gtp like yours with a slight warp in a disc inside the nose of my supercharger (the cone looking piece that juts out the side of the supercharger on the pulley side). when i'm at idle i hear buzzing, almost sounds like a grinding.

if my car's running i can put my hand on the nose and actually feel the warped disc. check to see if u can feel something moving around awkwardly in the nose.
That noise in the snout of your S/C is a worn coupler. Parts to replace it are cheap and it's a simple DIY job.
#51618 - 06/29/04 10:40 PM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
RICKS0240TH Offline
Loc: MINNESOTA
IT WONT CAUSE A BREAK DOWN RIGHT AWAY,BUT THE MORE YOU DRIVE IT THE MORE DAMAGE YOU WILL DO!NOT A CHEAP TRANS TO REBUILD,BUT I DO REBULD ALOT OF THEM.
#51619 - 06/29/04 11:51 PM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Wait back up, i dunno if you can hear this noise on the gtp or not but my gt had a open cone filter and sitting in drive and park or revers at idle you could here the EGR valve cycling, its kinda of a buzzing noise but sounded like air sucking really loud. could it be this. It made this noise more frequently if the AC was on or if it was cold......
#51620 - 07/01/04 01:27 AM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
pontiacmatt98 Offline
yeah Zach..I wonder myself if that couldnt be it..I have the open cone intake and at idle can hear it sucking air as it normally would. It just seems to be coming from around where the trans. is..I noticed tonight when I pulled up in the driveway when I got home from work that it wasnt making the noise at all..just the sound of the intake is all you could hear..its a quiet buzzing noise I speak of here. so Im not sure. That is an idea though..thanks Zach..
#51621 - 07/01/04 01:30 AM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
pontiacmatt98 Offline
It doesnt matter if the AC is on or not..itll do it..only though after its warm..go figure.. confused
#51622 - 07/01/04 04:02 AM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
hmmmmmm im lost then mine only did it when cold or when the ac was on???? but i had a gt not a gtp
#51623 - 07/01/04 11:30 PM Re: "Buzzing Noise at Idle"??
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

This is nowhere near where you believe the problem to be, but, just to add to the pot....
From your description, all I can think about is the "buzzing" a fuel pump makes when getting old.
This is prolly not it, because I believe the pump is above the tank at the rear of the car.....Just thinking out loud.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com