Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51770 - 03/05/07 03:00 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Can you get a better link to that thread.

I did notice on the cam specs page the L36 and L67 cams are pretty much the same. But once you get to the aftermarkets things get different.

The small excerpt you gave us basically says the blower grind will be better but all the cams are compatable. I mean ya the cam will fit, a 3800 cam is a 3800 cam. But the lifts and durations and overlaps can make or brake ya. Ya the car will run with it but your going through this top end swap to get more outa your motor. I just don't want you disapointed because you used the wrong cam.

PS did you buy those valve covers red or did you paint them?
#51771 - 03/05/07 03:45 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Hey, if it doesn't work I'll buy it off ya so you aren't stuck with an extra cam smile

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#51772 - 03/05/07 04:55 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I think once the cam is in its in, no matter what I think he is going to keep it in there.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#51773 - 03/05/07 07:50 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
That excerpt wasn't a thread, it was email correspondance with Scott Cook from Intense.

A guy over on ClubGP is running the GT1 cam with his top swapped 3800 and no bad results out of his car. My cam is slightly beefier than the GT1 but I should be fine. The cam is in there to stay unless something blows up.

The valve covers are painted with Hi-Temp engine paint.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#51774 - 03/05/07 08:33 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I wasn't saying bad results would happen just that the blower spec'd cam would yeild much better results.
#51775 - 03/05/07 10:37 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
wow, nice job, that estimate of money that set you back is really cheap. Im not into modding but I might do something simular to that because I say with then three to four years Im trying to get a new tranny and engine because I got high mileage on my se. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.
#51776 - 03/05/07 11:32 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
OK so drummer whats the deal, mondays over lets see the end result. :boogie:

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#51777 - 03/06/07 04:07 AM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
Drummerboy here is my take on the S/I NA Intense cam for your use ,while Herc may be right there are better cams for boosted applications you should get good results with this particular cam,here is a list of cam profiles to compare GT1 na 507/507 lift LSA 113deg,VS 512/507 lift LSA 115deg,xp hot cam 520/536 lift LSA 116,Intense S/1 na 523/514lift LSA 113deg,asyou can see the lift will work good with stock heads the only drawback is the LSA is a little narrow but should work fairly well ,do'nt forget with such a small place in the market there really has'nt been extensive research into optimum profiles for the sc 3.8 most of the R&R falls back to the older GN's .Chico.
#51778 - 03/06/07 11:33 AM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
drummerboy1307 Offline
yes, I think the results will be satisfactory... the exhaust lobes a bit small... but the intake lobes are large enough to provide some nice gains by letting more air into the motor

the motor is not back in quite yet... I have it in the car, but it's not bolted in or anything, and no wiring/vac lines are connected. i'm having troubles reconnecting the engine to the trans. a guy's coming over today to help out so hopefully I'll get it knocked out!

'97 SE with alot of mods
#51779 - 03/06/07 06:01 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
gteisele Offline
Loc: New Jersey
Hey guys this is the same guy whos motor is blown....i started taking her apart in my garage a couple weekends ago....im back at school now but goin home again this weekend to keep goin at it i have pics that i wanna throw up like drummerboy did but how do i throw them in the post like that......until then ill keep everyone posted wen i get the back head of to see if im doin a top end swap as well or a whole motor swap!!.....hopefully blower here i come
(99 GT),K&N 9" intake,ZZP HV TB(68mm), ZZP PCM,ZZP front powerlog, HV3 intake manifold spacer, 3" DP to SLP exhaust,Comp Cam 801 and springs, MSD ignition,Voltage Booster,black housing headlights with HID kit and halos
#51780 - 03/06/07 06:11 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I find the easiest way is photobucket.com

#51781 - 03/06/07 06:21 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
gteisele Offline
heres the start of hopefully the same project....i was getting to the pitons to see if i sucked in a valve like i think....back head is this weekend....
(99 GT),K&N 9" intake,ZZP HV TB(68mm), ZZP PCM,ZZP front powerlog, HV3 intake manifold spacer, 3" DP to SLP exhaust,Comp Cam 801 and springs, MSD ignition,Voltage Booster,black housing headlights with HID kit and halos
#51782 - 03/06/07 08:47 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
HercMan(Rob) Offline
You didn't drain all the coolant? Get that stuff out before it causes problems in your cylinders. Drain the oil pan put cheap oil in it run it for a couple of minutes at idle. Drain the oil and change it.
#51783 - 03/06/07 08:58 PM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
gteisele Offline
well number one it doesnt run....its apart so letting it idle wouldnt work...thats n i know the back right cylinder is shot because the pressure test on everyone but that one was 135 lbs while the back right was 35 lbs so its shot im not worried bout the small damage wen a motor swap prob is the deal....just gotta check for sure
#51784 - 03/07/07 12:12 AM Re: top end swap progress with *PICS*
drummerboy1307 Offline
Update: First the good news

The motor is back in the car! Everything is bolted in and most of the vac lines I think are gonna work out. I have them all plugged in at least... hopefully they will work as is.

Bad news: couldn't finish it up today, because I had to buy a new MAF sensor (that set me back $175 MORE...) and every place in town couldn't have it until the morning...

So tomorrow morning, I'm going to pick that up first thing, then hopefully once that's in it'll be ready to go. I'll take more pics and keep you guys posted. Can someone who has a GTP... can you tell me if the vac line coming from under the snout, goes from the LIM, then to the FPR, and then to the lower port on the BBV? Thanks

'97 SE with alot of mods
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >