Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52475 - 04/16/07 08:53 PM Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Jason2000GTP Offline
Loc: Akron, OH
Hey! 1st post smile

The problem:
ive searched all over and i keep finding the same instrustions so they must be right fot a 2000 GTP.
but i am still not able to program my new remote.
i do as it says... if i let it chime all 4 times when the key is turned to ACC before turning off then back to ACC i never get the chime when i open and close the door...
If i turn it off before it chimes all 4, then back on. it will do like a half chime when i open the door and half when i close the door.
but in either case i get no response, no chime when i hold the unlock/lock buttons. so i have to be missing something.
the remote is known good and battery is new.
any idea's?????
thanks

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.

1. Remove the key from the ignition.
2. Close all of the doors.
3. Remove the “ MALL PGM” fuse from the fuse panel. Use the legend on
the fuse panel or owner’s manual to properly locate the “ MALL PGM” fuse.
4. Insert the keys into the ignition, and turn to the ACC position.
5. Turn the key to OFF and then back to ACC within 1 second.
6. Open and close any vehicle door. A chime will be heard when the
system enters the programming mode.
7. Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons
simultaneously for 14 seconds. IMPORTANT: After 7 seconds, a chime may be
heard confirming successful synchronization. It is necessary to wait approximately 14 seconds for a second chime that will confirm successful programming.
8. Repeat the previous step on each additional transmitter to be
programmed (including any existing remotes).
9. Remove the key from the ignition.
10. Install the “MALL PGM” fuse.
-3.4in Pulley -DHP PCM - K&N Intake -Poly Mounts -AFC2.0 -KYB GR2 Struts -some other stuff wink
#52476 - 04/17/07 05:15 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
First off, welcome to the forums!

i did mine a while ago, and i believe this was the set of instuctions that i used, but i could be wront ... not sure about your problem, sorry man
#52477 - 04/17/07 07:34 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Jason2000GTP Offline
seems like they are correct.. but i cant get it to work.
ill try again this weekend. grrr.
thanks for the welcome tho wink
-3.4in Pulley -DHP PCM - K&N Intake -Poly Mounts -AFC2.0 -KYB GR2 Struts -some other stuff wink
#52478 - 04/17/07 07:40 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Could be a problem with the door lock receiver, the Body Control Module, or you may have the wrong remote for the car. I would first call the Parts dept. of your GM dealer, give them the car's VIN number and the number on the back of the remote. They can tell you if it's the right one.
Here are the instructions I used, and they worked for me:

1) Sit in driver's seat. Remove ignition key from lock cylinder. Close all vehicle doors. Remove MALL PGM fuse from fuse panel.
2) Insert ignition key, turn ignition to ACC position. Turn ignition to OFF, then back to ACC within one second. Open then close any vehicle door. Chime will be heard when remote control door lock receiver enters programming/diagnostic mode. If chime is not heard, buckle driver's seat belt. If chime is still not heard, open glove box. If chime is still not heard, repeat procedure from step 1.
3) Depress and hold transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds. One chime should be heard at 7 to confirm successful synchronization and 14 seconds to confirm successful programming.
4) Repeat step 3) for each transmitter to be programmed. Remove ignition key. Install MALL PGM fuse.
Troubleshooting
Check R/CMPT REL fuse, fuse #32, and RADIO fuse. Verify proper operation of power door lock, trunk lid release and interior light systems. Ensure ground connections are clean and tight.
#52479 - 04/17/07 07:55 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Sorry if this is considered a thread jack... but how can I find out if my car even is capable of keyless entry? It never came with remotes but I am the third owner so who knows. Will the GM dealer know?

Oh, and welcome! savewave

'97 SE with alot of mods
#52480 - 04/17/07 08:01 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Jason2000GTP Offline
i still have the origonal remote.. the model, fcc id, are all the same.
i didnt know about the seatbelt and glovebox part of the instructions. i can try that as well.

question for you.

when you turn the key.. are you supposed to turn it acc on, then off and back to acc all within one second.

or turn on...wait a few sec.. then off then back on in 1 second?

hope its not the reciever part that died frown

i think all gtp's would have had keyless entry? but im not sure about gt's
#52481 - 04/17/07 08:11 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Drummer,
You can check the RPO codes on the decal inside your trunk lid; RPO AUO is keyless entry system, and RPO UA6 is content theft deterrent system with remote alarm.
#52482 - 04/17/07 08:43 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason2000GTP:
i still have the origonal remote.. the model, fcc id, are all the same.
i didnt know about the seatbelt and glovebox part of the instructions. i can try that as well.

question for you.

when you turn the key.. are you supposed to turn it acc on, then off and back to acc all within one second.

or turn on...wait a few sec.. then off then back on in 1 second?

hope its not the reciever part that died frown

i think all gtp's would have had keyless entry? but im not sure about gt's
Hi Jason2000GTP,
When you pull the fuse and turn the ignition switch to ACC, the chime should sound 2, 3, or 4 times; this tells you which type BCM is installed.
Keyless entry requires BCM type 3 or 4.
Next, turn the ignition switch from ACC to OFF, then back to ACC within one second. This puts the BCM in diagnostic/program mode, at which point the BCM may flash and chime Diagnostic Trouble Codes, if any are stored. The # of flashes and chimes equals the DTC number. Record any that are stored. Then open and close any vehicle door and hopefully, you'll hear the chime. Those door lock receivers are expensive ( $300+ bucks, IIRC).

My GT has the Type 4 BCM and thankfully, everything works! laugh
And welcome to the forum! cheers
#52483 - 04/17/07 09:31 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Jason2000GTP Offline
when i pull the fuse and turn to acc i get 4 chimes. but when i turn to off and back in less then 1 sec i dont think i get any more chimes...i open and close the door and i still dont get a chime.

the only time i get a chime when i open the doors is if i goto acc, off and back to acc before the 4 chimes complete. then i get like half a chime when i open and another when i close the door.

im gonna retry it tomorrow..maybe buckle the seat belt see if it makes a diff.
#52484 - 04/17/07 09:33 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Jason2000GTP Offline
and thanks for the welcome blackarrow!
#52485 - 04/21/07 11:40 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
dbeller Offline
Loc: Broken Arrow, OK
Hey Jason and all others,
I just bought a 2001 GT today from a non-GM dealer and they gave me a remote from another 2001 Grand Prix on their lot, since they could not find mine. It was not a GT. I am doing exactly the steps listed above and am having the same problem. I am getting a small half chime when I open and close the door, but no other chimes after pushing the remote for many seconds. I am wondering if anyone has any other advice for Jason and myself. Thanks. BTW, I love the forum....very informative.
Derek
#52486 - 04/21/07 11:48 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
ive had the same problem since i got my car a year and a half ago. im just to hard headed to fork up $40 at the dealer to have them do it.

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3
#52487 - 04/22/07 10:39 PM Re: Keyless Entry Reprogramming
Jason2000GTP Offline
i've went out there a few times... pulled the fuse and hoped to get lucky. nothig so far. i am wondering if the remote i got was bad? but it was supposedly tested good before shipping.
but nothing but half chimes still.
gggrrrrrr