Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52849 - 01/29/07 12:30 AM Mileage increased after fixing ignition switch?
Hamilton Offline
Loc: Corvallis
I drove 50 miles to a basketball game on Friday and got 30 mpg. Before fixing the ignition switch, the mpg ran about 26. I've noticed a slow decline from about 30 mpg to 26 mpg over the last year on road trips of 600 to 1000 miles. I'm thinking dirty contacts in the ignition switch were mucking up my mileage. Wrong voltages or currents to the sensors caused by high resistance in the contacts.

I had the car in to the dealer in August for the low mileage problem - only thing they did was change the air filter. I had changed the spark plugs before taking it in, with no improvement. Air filter didn't help either.

Anyone else noticed a similar improvement in mileage after changing out or cleaning the ignition switch?

Thanks.
hamilton

reference to my experience cleaning the contacts:
http://www.grandprix.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006614;p=0&r=nfx

1997 GTP. Stock
#52850 - 01/29/07 01:42 AM Re: Mileage increased after fixing ignition switch?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
No idea, but I see you are from Corvallis. Welcome aboard.

If you are ever interested in hanging out with other GPers, the Portland Grand Prix club is full of great people that are full of good info.

I'm in Albany myself, and I work in Corvallis. I've probably seen you around.
#52851 - 01/29/07 10:02 PM Re: Mileage increased after fixing ignition switch?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
I can't think of how the ignition switch could affect the MPG.....
I can argue that 50 miles is a pretty low number to work with as far as MPG.... I'm curious what happens after 250miles.
If you're interested in driving a couple hours North, Portland Club Grand Prix has regular gatherings to work on cars, race, show or whatever. We are gathering this Saturday(3/3/07) to work on cars, and go to pizza afterward.

http://pdxcgp.com
#52852 - 01/31/07 09:00 AM Re: Mileage increased after fixing ignition switch?
Hamilton Offline
Loc: Corvallis
crimpton -

I hear you about the distance - total was 100 miles, round trip, maybe enough to get the idea that the car was doing better. I'll update when I have more data.

I get up to Portland from time to time - where and how frequently does the Portland Club Grand Prix meet? Pretty much my work on the Pontiac has been belts, battery, waterpump, and now the infamous ignition switch. (thanks to UMfan also for the pointer to the Portland Club Grand Prix)

Thanks.
Allen Smith

97 Red GTP Sedan. stock
#52853 - 01/31/07 10:05 AM Re: Mileage increased after fixing ignition switch?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by Hamilton:
crimpton -

I hear you about the distance - total was 100 miles, round trip, maybe enough to get the idea that the car was doing better. I'll update when I have more data.

I get up to Portland from time to time - where and how frequently does the Portland Club Grand Prix meet? Pretty much my work on the Pontiac has been belts, battery, waterpump, and now the infamous ignition switch. (thanks to UMfan also for the pointer to the Portland Club Grand Prix)

Thanks.
Allen Smith

97 Red GTP Sedan. stock
PDXCGP meets the first Saturday of every month. Crimpton is our newly elected President. lol