Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52858 - 12/04/02 08:05 PM Good to be back & how to really smoke the tires on a 97 GTP?
gtpsrock Offline
Loc: Utah
Well, well, its good to be back after being gone for 2 years (no, Brian didn't kick me off wink )I was in Las Vegas for our church. Its good to still se a few of ya around like Brian and Eric Wong.

Anyway, my question for the day:

I still have the '97 GTP I boughtback in the day that I rebuilt after it was totalled with 1,000 miles on it.

Anyway, whenever I try to really burnout, it starts spinning real good, then it seems like it kills the ignition, and shifts or something. Then it she'll burn them pretty good in second.

Then last night, I was doing the standard e-brake slide around a corner, and my "check tire pressure" light came on and the ABS light, and the magnasteer quit. BUT, the tires would spin like no other when I jumped on it (70mph in 1st gear- on snow)

Then when I shut the car off and turned it back on, it reset itself. No more big smokey burnouts. confused

I tried to just pull the ABS fuse, but that didn't help. I remember people talking about this years ago, but don't know where to look.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,

Paul
'97 GTP
www.rupelli.com/paul
#52859 - 12/21/02 11:41 AM Re: Good to be back & how to really smoke the tires on a 97 GTP?
Kerry Offline
Loc: Tempe, AZ
Paul!

Dude, I still have your rear bumper sitting in storage, I have been waining for the cheeseburgers we agreed on trade!

Anyway, it is totally cool to see you here, I just got back on after my car crapped out on me. I hope this returning of oldschoolers is a trend that will grow because it seems that there is no one left to turn to for support. Even sadder is the fact that I have no idea what to say about your car.

Oh well, maybe someday we can all sit around and talk about the good old days when the list was pumping out 200 messages a day that were mostly flames over Shaun Katuawu's mom's car.

Speaking of old days, maybe I never said it before, but props to BAM for keeping us together when we should have fallen apart on a daily basis. That the archives are here and the page is still up is something I am totally thankful for.

I gotta go try one more bit of voodoo on the GTP to see if she is really dead. It never ceases to amaze me how peaceful a car can look when it is inside a garage with no intention of moving. The smell, the sight, the sound, the feeling of climbing back in and turning the key is something I can't wait for. If that sounds lonely, I might add that it has only been a week since I lost it. I don't know how I will survive!

Take care, and good luck, Mr Bad Co.

Kerry
#52860 - 01/02/03 12:18 AM Re: Good to be back & how to really smoke the tires on a 97 GTP?
crazyliver Offline
Loc: Canada
pull the ABS_IGN fuse in your glovebox, and enjoy your burnouts.

For the other problem, I suspect a bad contact in the ABS signal sense from a wheel.

Steve
#52861 - 01/14/03 07:26 PM Re: Good to be back & how to really smoke the tires on a 97 GTP?
Dave Offline
Loc: Sarasota, FL
There is another Grand Prix forum that is
A LOT MORE ACTIVE

http://www.clubgp.com/forum/index.asp
#52862 - 01/15/03 01:23 AM Re: Good to be back & how to really smoke the tires on a 97 GTP?
Redshift Offline
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
There is another Grand Prix forum that is
A LOT MORE ACTIVE

http://www.clubgp.com/forum/index.asp
More posts doesn't equal more quality wink
#52863 - 01/15/03 01:23 AM Re: Good to be back & how to really smoke the tires on a 97 GTP?
Redshift Offline
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Wow, Paul Rogers. Welcome back man!