Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52944 - 01/09/07 06:16 PM Issues with blower/CB radio
Richard Candelario Offline
Recently I had to rplc my AC blower and motor. After doing so, I noticed that I had to set my CB radio's squelch to a point that it's almost not worth having the radio. After consulting the local CB shop, I was assured that it is not "alternator whine" that can be filtered out using an inducted capacitance filter. Anyone know if those blowers can create an RF field large enough to fill the cabin with "noise"? The obvious fix: move the power supply wires to another circuit. That's already done, and had no effect. Complicated fix: anyone know how to filter the RF noise from my cabin? Thanks yall.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#52945 - 01/09/07 10:51 PM Re: Issues with blower/CB radio
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
I've got a lot of whine from my CB as well, can't use it at all when the car is running. Have you checked out your grounds? I was told that can cause a lot of trouble...and found my ground to, uhh, look less than great. Haven't cleaned it up yet, but I'm thinking thats my trouble.
#52946 - 01/10/07 10:26 AM Re: Issues with blower/CB radio
My ground is clean, but I am suddenly thinking the ground is insufficient. Where did you ground to? I used one of the steel beams behind the dash cover.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#52947 - 01/10/07 05:22 PM Re: Issues with blower/CB radio
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
At first I tried using just a the power port...that failed. Lots of noise, then tried using a piece of metal under dash, still no help. Then I looked at the ground cable going the block and it looked kind of sad. Just needs a good cleaning by the look of it. Hopefully I'll get to that soon. I've got a 96 with a 3100, so it's probably going to be a little different from your setup.
#52948 - 01/11/07 10:52 AM Re: Issues with blower/CB radio
Ya know what? I'm gonna post some pics on my set up this afternoon. I'm lucky in that I am stationed with a bunch of, what my Sergeant Major calls, 500-pound brains. The engineers that deal with RF and EM were stumped last night when I asked them. One idea that came out was to place magnets around my CB power cord. Another was to place a grounding strap on the blower casing. A third was to place a capacitor in series with both CB power lines. I already know the capacitor won't work. Grr. Pics to follow for advice. Thanks, JJ.

98 L36/MM5
RaC