Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55306 - 09/30/02 06:13 PM Repairing my GTP after an attempted break-in
vatechfan98 Offline
Loc: Massachusetts
A month ago, someone attempted to break in to my car. The perpetrator drove a screwdriver into the lock cylinder on the driver side door. This managed to crack the casing around the door handle, slightly dent the door and destroy the lock cylinder. Fortunately, he or she never managed to get into the car.

I have purchased a new door handle and lock cylinder. The handle is freshly painted and the lock keyed to match my keys. Unfortunately, I ran into some trouble installing them. I have been unable to remove the rod connecting the handle (not the lock cylinder) to the latch mechanism. It appears I should disconnect the rod from the latch mechanism and then remove the handle and rod together. Through a hole in the door, I can catch a glimpse of the plastic clip that connects rod to the latch, but I cannot tell exactly how to remove the rod. I hesitate to force it because I am certain the clip will break. If anyone has tackled a similar problem, I could use your advice.

Thanks
#55307 - 10/01/02 09:20 AM Re: Repairing my GTP after an attempted break-in
Tim Offline
Loc: Illinois
On most GM's, that little plastic clip you're talking about should pivot out of the way. If you're worried about breaking it, go grab one from a dealership... they shouldn't be much money at all. It can be a little tricky getting them out, but usually they turn to the side to unclip from the rod, and then the rod will lift out of the hole in the handle assembly. Hope this sheds some light on it for you.
#55308 - 10/01/02 09:54 AM Re: Repairing my GTP after an attempted break-in
coolgt2001 Offline
Loc: CP Indiana
I feel your pain my old gp(96)was broken into 3 diffrent times. Two of the times the broke my window with a window punch. The last time the poped the lock and core right out. I finally got pissed and got a arlam system on my new gp(01). If anyone is interested in a good system I can give you a few sites to look at. Good luck with your lock.
mods: tinted windows (mirror to black), silver headlamp covers, 2 12in pioneer premiers, pioneer prmier cd/mp3 player, alarm system with car montioring and pager,CAI and thermostat, blue stripes, blue badging. Look for a quick hp increase.