Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58598 - 06/03/07 01:59 PM Powertuner
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
Now that I have gotten another job hopefuly i will be getting some extra spending cash .. hopefuly ... I was looking at a powertuner for a mod. But I was wondering how hard is a powertuner to use ? because of the looks of DHP's web site I cant tell how they really use this. How is the software set up is it like drop boxes so figure out how to set everything or do you have to do a bunch of calculations to figrue out what numbers to put in each box. I also want to know how useful this product would be for me right now because my GP dosnt have any real mods at the time .. but in the future I plan on doing 1.9 Rockers, SSM90 kit ... (dont know when this will happen) Maybe cam, and a cold air intake, so far i just have a high flow filter and a gutted air box. I am just trying to figure out how all of this works so if a powertuner would be a good mod for me at the time.... or if i should just upgrade my pcm. thanks for the help
#58599 - 06/03/07 02:06 PM Re: Powertuner
20gtp02 Offline
Basically its setup so you can cutomize it anyway you like it. Colors, startup the way parameters come up (show up). I haven't used it, just watch what my buddy does. I think you should find someone local and check it out. You can change fields like excel does, by fills, individual cells, or what not. You can change by percentages, or just decimal points. It does take alot of tinkering and reading up on the internet to use. But you can search on clubgp or somewhere else to determine which parameters to focus on first. I think, personally, that it is quite high for a mod but if you think about it, in the long run you will get better gas mileage, save your engine, and money because you can make your car perform its best. So you really are spending money up front to save money upfront. Hope this helps some. I have some links saved about it, but those are on another computer and this one doesn't have explorer 7 so it doesn't save my favorites when I log in.
Read up on this page(s) alot.
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tt.asp?appid=14

#58600 - 06/03/07 02:23 PM Re: Powertuner
4drgt Offline
because thats the thing i want to be able to program my pcm ... and there is no one close to me ... the closest person to me on this site is drummer i think there is no local clubs and no one around here does much with grand prix ... everyone has ricers ... my me and my friend i have a gp and he has an impala i figured if i get this then i can help out a coupple of people with programing pcms because they have the open 3800 now ... i want to do all of the features of a new pcm but i want to be able to change it myself when i do like the ssm90 upgrade and such
#58601 - 06/03/07 03:11 PM Re: Powertuner
4drgt Offline
i went to powrtuner.com and signed up i am trying to get like an instruction manual so i can read up on this... i want to figure out how i can help out my gas milage and then i want to be able to adjust it so i can open it up and make it a beast on the track
#58602 - 06/04/07 04:05 PM Re: Powertuner
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
The powertuner software is easy to use, make changes, etc. Knowing exactly what you're doing is up to YOU. Definetly requires time and effort on reading up and spending time with your car making careful changes and scanning.

With lights mods, I don't think the powertuner is worth the $$$. With the M90 kit it will definetly be useful!
#58603 - 06/04/07 10:37 PM Re: Powertuner
4drgt Offline
so if you read the manuals ... and get advise from the helpful people on grand prix.net i would be able to make the most out of the program
#58604 - 06/05/07 12:00 AM Re: Powertuner
zuulmusic Offline
Yes but most people on here don't use the powertuner, so your best bet for specific advice would be on the PT forum. Of course, I'm sure the PT users on here would be happy to help with questions... and sometimes the PT forum responses aren't too quick.
#58605 - 06/05/07 07:34 AM Re: Powertuner
4drgt Offline
do then have manuals that i can download and start to read up or the software that i can download allready to start trying to figure stuff out??
#58606 - 06/05/07 09:10 AM Re: Powertuner
20gtp02 Offline
I don't have one, but I usually read over on the other forum under PCM/Tuning and you'll find there what paremeters to read, some new things to check out, and over on DHP you can do some reading. As soon as you can understand the full basics of air and fuel ratios and what keeps kr down and reading those posts, you should be good. Best thing is "Easy does it!" Small changes are the best, definitely for a new user. Also, check out those posts when people put up scans by scandepot.com. Just have to read and keep checking up on those threads, new things pop up.

#58607 - 06/05/07 10:07 AM Re: Powertuner
zuulmusic Offline
^ x2

The software itself won't help you much without the tuner itself. Like I said, the software is easy to figure out.

As for the manuals/guides, you'll need to download those from the DHP forum. Make sure to request access (via DHP help ticket I think) to the powertuner features of the forum.
#58608 - 06/10/07 11:29 AM Re: Powertuner
4drgt Offline
What is better ... a DHP powertuner or the HPTuners styler of power tuner i didnt understand from there site what credits were .... i would like to get a powertuner to help me tune my ride to help with gas at times because i do alot of driving and i want to make all of the changes to it to bring it to its full potential
#58609 - 06/10/07 11:55 AM Re: Powertuner
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Credits are like tokens at a game house. Certain games (cars) use certain number of tokens (credits) in order to use them. You get a certain number of credits and have program sets you can buy. The number that come with a stock HPTuner are fine for getting just two years unlocked on a GP, or other V6 car.

My main qualm, is your paying $100 more for it than a PowerTuner, and the PowerTuner comes with an unlocked year range from '98-02.
#58610 - 06/10/07 12:04 PM Re: Powertuner
4drgt Offline
i am just looking at what would be the easyest to tune
#58611 - 06/10/07 01:45 PM Re: Powertuner
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
My main qualm, is your paying $100 more for it than a PowerTuner, and the PowerTuner comes with an unlocked year range from '98-02.
If I understand correctly, the newest powertuner software allows access to and 97-05 3800

The benefit of HPtuners is there are so many more cars you can tune with it.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#58612 - 06/10/07 01:58 PM Re: Powertuner
4drgt Offline
the thing i dont like with hp tuners is the credit system that they had ... i should just go to powrtuner and get the manuals to read up
#58613 - 06/10/07 02:22 PM Re: Powertuner
4drgt Offline
nothing that i do on the powrtuner site will let me download the files ... it says its on the old gm site ... anyone have a link or anything that i can use to download the instruction manuals of the powertuner so i can read up on it ???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >