Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60037 - 07/19/06 09:38 PM Keyless Remote Question
tmm Offline
Loc: North Carolina
I bought a 99 Grand Prix used off a dealer's lot a few years ago. When I purchased it all I got were two sets of keys but no remotes. Did all GP's come with remotes? If not how do I tell? I have a daughter going off to college soon and was wanting to get keyless remote for this GP. Thanks for any info you might be able to offer.
#60038 - 07/19/06 10:10 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Welcome to the forum! I've yet to see one that didn't have keyless remotes, but your best bet would be to contact the parts dept. of your local GM dealer, and give him the VIN number of the car(they usually ask for the last 8 digits). They should be able to tell you. Be sure to get the part# of the remote; you can find them on Ebay for a better price. They will, of course, need to be programmed. smile
#60039 - 07/19/06 10:30 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
tmm Offline
Thanks for the welcome and also thanks for the reply! I did purchase two remotes (correct part number for the year) off ebay but was unsuccessful when trying to program it. I never got the chime when the system was to enter the programming mode. That's why my question if all GP's came eqipped with the the remote option. I also installed a new battery in one of the remotes but still the same problem.
#60040 - 07/19/06 10:41 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
Tech Offline
Loc: Garden City, KS
Quote:
Originally posted by tmm:
Thanks for the welcome and also thanks for the reply! I did purchase two remotes (correct part number for the year) off ebay but was unsuccessful when trying to program it. I never got the chime when the system was to enter the programming mode. That's why my question if all GP's came eqipped with the the remote option. I also installed a new battery in one of the remotes but still the same problem.
i had the same problem when i got my 2000 gt.
i had to take it to the dealership to be reprogrammed
#60041 - 07/19/06 11:26 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Okay, here is the procedure I used for my '98 (hopefully this applies to '99)
1) Sit in driver's seat. Remove ignition key from lock cylinder. Close all vehicle doors. Remove MALL PGM fuse from fuse panel.
2) Insert ignition key, turn ignition to ACC position. Turn ignition to OFF, then back to ACC within one second. Open then close any vehicle door. Chime will be heard when remote control door lock receiver enters programming/diagnostic mode. If chime is not heard, buckle driver's seat belt. If chime is still not heard, open glove box. If chime is still not heard, repeat procedure from step 1.
3) Depress and hold transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds. One chime should be heard at 7 to confirm successful synchronization and 14 seconds to confirm successful programming.
4) Repeat step 3) for each transmitter to be programmed. Remove ignition key. Install MALL PGM fuse.
Troubleshooting
Check R/CMPT REL fuse, fuse #32, and RADIO fuse. Verify proper operation of power door lock, trunk lid release and interior light systems. Ensure ground connections are clean and tight.
And if this doesn't work, hit it with a cheers heavily. wink Good luck!
#60042 - 07/20/06 10:04 AM Re: Keyless Remote Question
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by blackarrow98gp:
And if this doesn't work, hit it with a cheers heavily. wink Good luck!
lol
X2!
#60043 - 07/20/06 12:48 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
I am curious if this could be done to my '97 SE. Any thoughts?

'97 SE with alot of mods
#60044 - 07/20/06 01:15 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
ShawnGP Offline
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
I got a comand start on my 90 gp, it has 2 buttons on it, I and II, II is to start the car up, but the I button doesnt seem to do anything, unless its to turn off comand start, but if u got comand start shudnt u have keyless entry anyways?
#60045 - 07/24/06 11:29 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
tmm Offline
Well I guess it's a trip to the dealer. I tried all the suggestions mentioned and I still can't get it to function. If someone else has any ideas that hasn't already been mentioned I would apprecitate it. Thanks,...
#60046 - 07/25/06 03:42 AM Re: Keyless Remote Question
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
I bought one off ebay and it came with instructions, I got it to work, but I couldn't get any more than one to work at a time. I got told by a GM tech that GP's are one of the hardest GM cars to program the key fobs correctly for some reason, so I just took mine to the dealer and weaseled my way into getting a programming for free ( man, I lucked out!)
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#60047 - 07/27/06 08:38 AM Re: Keyless Remote Question
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
i cant even get mine into the programming mode

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3
#60048 - 07/27/06 12:19 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
Tech Offline
Loc: Garden City, KS
Quote:
Originally posted by Dementeddj:
I bought one off ebay and it came with instructions, I got it to work, but I couldn't get any more than one to work at a time. I got told by a GM tech that GP's are one of the hardest GM cars to program the key fobs correctly for some reason, so I just took mine to the dealer and weaseled my way into getting a programming for free ( man, I lucked out!)
Are you serious? I paid some 130 bucks for a new fob and programming said fob. All I got was a free soda. Guess others are just luckier.
#60049 - 07/27/06 01:25 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
are you sure you got the right remotes for the car. i know i purchased one off of ebay when i needed one and it looked exactly like the one i had already that didn't work good, but the remote wasn't the same model number remote that i had already. i figured it would still work, but wouldn't. ended up having to sell it on ebay again and buy the right one. once i got the correct one, worked first time programming it. ours is a 98, and some had the alarm button on the fob's and some didn't i believe. ours was one that didn't come with it. that leaves us with a the 3 button fob and there are a bunch of different models of fob's like them.
dhp 1.0
#60050 - 07/27/06 10:00 PM Re: Keyless Remote Question
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
in my situation i just cant get the car into programming mode, but i matched the remote with the old broken one.

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3