Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60070 - 08/08/05 12:03 AM strut tower braces
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I want to order one from gmpartsdirect. I know they suck, but where else can I get one?

Anyhow, the site makes this little confusing so I shall inquire here.
I thought this was a single part, with some hardware. I found the part# for the strut tower brace alone and come up with this: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=12456148 for $18.69 but it says STRUT BAR KIT(ONE BAR KIT ONLY)
then says "If you want the kit that includes two of these braces it is part number 12498648 " which is http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=12498648 and says "The kit includes two strut tower braces, hardware, and installation instructions."

Is one for the rear? I just want the front!
Thanks,
Bill
#60071 - 08/08/05 07:33 AM Re: strut tower braces
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The set of two is so you can mount one in front and one in the rear.

When I ordered mine it was only 10 bucks more for the pair so I put both of them in. They only took about five days from the time I ordered them till I recieved them.
#60072 - 08/08/05 08:22 AM Re: strut tower braces
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
A handling upgrade kit will do good for you.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#60073 - 08/08/05 10:13 AM Re: strut tower braces
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
You could always get them from the stealership. devilgrin
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#60074 - 08/08/05 10:34 AM Re: strut tower braces
zuulmusic Offline
I've got too much money in my ASS M90 project right now.
I wish ZZP would hurry up with the rest of the kit!

Austin how did the installation of the kit go?
Someone talk me into it.
#60075 - 08/08/05 12:20 PM Re: strut tower braces
AustinGTP Offline
Once you remove your tie rod ends, it's a breeze. I fought for 15 minutes trying to get the front sway bar out, then I realized it ain't happenin' unless that tie rod end is removed. Removed the tie rod end and the sway bay slid right out.
When installing your new front sway bar, go ahead and flip it just in case you end up getting a bigger D/P. Flipping it won't hurt anything and you'll be all set for a D/P.
Rear sway bar and trailing arms were easy. You'll habe to remove the forward mount for the trailing arms to get the bolt out. I don't think I removed mine all the way, just loosened it enough so it'll drop down and give me enough clearance to remove the bolt.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#60076 - 08/08/05 01:01 PM Re: strut tower braces
framos242 Offline
It was the opposite for me.

I decided to leave the tie rod alone. It was a PITA but it fit in but it did.

The trailing arms were a PITA. Had to loosen and lower a bit the gas tank to take out and fit in.

However, it rocks!
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

#60077 - 01/05/06 08:31 PM Re: strut tower braces
01GPGT Offline
Loc: Minnesota
I have 3 questions! confused
1. I am planning on getting a jimmy C 3" downpipe in a couple weeks. So do you need to flip the sway bar for that? flip like left to right? or flip like front to back?
2. can I install the GMPD handling kit in the driveway? or do i need a hoist etc? and how hard is it? is the rear strut tower brace hard to install? hammer
3. Why would you need to upgrade the trailing arms? whats wrong with the stock ones? Im assuming they are stronger and more rigid, less flex?

Short Ram Air Intake | Throttle Body Spacer| Throttle Body Screen Removed | ZZP PCM | 180* Thermostat| Debaged |Flipped Sway Bar | Strut Tower Stabilizer | Motor Mounts | Tr55's | Coming soon : 3" DP |
#60078 - 01/05/06 10:22 PM Re: strut tower braces
AustinGTP Offline
1) Yes, flip your sway bar left to right. Keep the front to the front and the rear to the rear.

2) Yes, I did mine in my garage. I used 2 jack stands and a jack. Jack up the front end and take both front tires off to get them out of your way.

3) OEM trailing arms are stamped steel, upgraded trailing arms are tubular. Stronger, more rigid.

#60079 - 01/06/06 08:21 AM Re: strut tower braces
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
As for the STBs you need to drill holes in the strut tower and the rear one you need to elongate two holes on the STB. The hardest part of mounting the rear is fighting the speaker magnets. They tend to rip it out of your hand when you try to place it on the strut bolts.
#60080 - 01/06/06 10:57 AM Re: strut tower braces
framos242 Offline
Oh yeah, if you have an air compressor, it will save you a lot of time. wink

#60081 - 01/06/06 12:22 PM Re: strut tower braces
zuulmusic Offline
Are there any instructions for installing this kit? I recieved mine without any.
#60082 - 01/06/06 12:33 PM Re: strut tower braces
framos242 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
Are there any instructions for installing this kit? I recieved mine without any.
Nope. Check around if anyone did a write up.

#60083 - 01/06/06 01:08 PM Re: strut tower braces
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by framos242:
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
[b] Are there any instructions for installing this kit? I recieved mine without any.
Nope. Check around if anyone did a write up. [/b]
And, either way, take some photos and do a write up for Herc's page. Help the rest of the GP community!
#60084 - 01/06/06 06:11 PM Re: strut tower braces
AustinGTP Offline
It's fairly simple.
Remove the front wheels and you can see the front sway bar bushings right there. Remove those and the sway bar ends (removal of one tie rod end will be helpful. Don't go spinning the tie rod end around). slide out the front sway bar and slide in the new one. Install new bushings and put it all back together.
Rear is about the same way. Remove the rear wheels, remove the bushings and the ends. swap bar and reinstall with new bushings.
For the trailing arms, remove all the bolts and swap out. You may need to loosen the front mounts so they'll drop down a bit so the bolt will come out.
I think I spent more time removing and reinstalling my wheels than I did with the removal and install of the sway bars, well there was that 10-15 minutes I wrestled with the front sway bar before I realized I needed to remove one tie rod end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >