Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60228 - 07/12/05 08:02 PM Spark Plug Confusion
Eric Plent Offline
Loc: Edison, NJ
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death in the past, but after reading through some of the message threads I am still somewhat confused as to what plugs I should use in my stock 2000 GTP.

On the one hand, I have previously used Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in my '97 GTP with excellent results. However, I double-checked the Bosch website and it lists the part number for the GTP as 4459, but also notes "Excluding Turbo and Supercharged Motors". To me, this indicates I should NOT use this plug, correct?

On the other hand, one of the threads I just finished reading indicated that the most current OEM plug for this car is part # 41-101, which may in fact be the NGK TR55IX plugs rebranded. I happen to have a set of these NGK plugs available, but had been holding off installing them util later this year when I plan on doing some mods since I thought they were not recommended for a stock engine. If the new OEM plug is an Iridium plug similar to the NGK TR55IX, then would I be better off just using them now?

Anything that can help clear this up for me would be greatly appreciated. AutoZone part numbers would be an even bigger help!

Thanks,

Eric
#60229 - 07/12/05 08:17 PM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
in my opinion, for your car you would probably be better off just putting the stock plugs in it. i have no idea what the part number or what model plug i got since it has been awhile. all i know was that i went to the dealer and told him what i had and needed and got somemore. i know they were ngk's though!
dhp 1.0
#60230 - 07/13/05 06:32 AM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Yes stay away from the Bosch +4s. They'll create so much KR you'll hate it. And stick with stock plugs for now until you start modding.
#60231 - 07/13/05 10:28 AM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Agreed. If it's stock, don't worry about plugs. Now, if or when you mod, then the fun begins. devilgrin
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#60232 - 07/13/05 11:36 AM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
Eric Plent Offline
Loc: Edison, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Yes stay away from the Bosch +4s. They'll create so much KR you'll hate it. And stick with stock plugs for now until you start modding.
I actually used the +4's in my '97 GTP a few years back, and actually REDUCED KR over the stock plugs I removed. Strange.

If the stock plugs (41-101) are now iridium plugs, are they much different than the NGK TR55IX?
#60233 - 07/13/05 12:08 PM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Correct. The AC Delco stock plugs (41-101) are now iridium plugs. When I ordered mine, they were labeled as iridium instead of platinum. I can also tell by the needle .

Recommend sticking to stock. When mods come, go to a colder plug.

In this case, the stock is A LOT better than the aftermarket.

Bypass the spitfires. Never heard anything good about them. Plus the theory of two electrodes or evern 4 is bad. The arc won't split. It will just go to the node that has the least path of resistance.

Your KR probably reduced because the older plugs weren't that good anymore, unless you experimented wth new regulars and new +4s.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#60234 - 07/13/05 05:08 PM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
HercMan(Rob) Offline
The aviation industry requires dual posted plugs only because if one tip fouls out the plug will keep firing.
#60235 - 07/14/05 02:06 PM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
rubberman Offline
Loc: Evansville,Indiana
what about the AC Delco rapid fire plugs? are those OK?
#60236 - 07/14/05 04:40 PM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Stick with OEMs if your not gonna mod. GM's igition systems have always been top notch and hard to improve on.
#60237 - 07/18/05 12:08 AM Re: Spark Plug Confusion
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
If still tempted to try out other plugs, think about it this way.
If you go with the OEM, you can use the extra money for other mods.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.