Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60552 - 02/23/05 04:47 PM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
I'm just wondering if I went to my local exhaust shop and asked how much for a "u bend delete" if they would even know what in the heck I'm talking about. That's the only thing I'm worried about. I have a feeling that they're not cheap around here.

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#60553 - 02/23/05 05:06 PM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
If you go to a muffler shop and they don't know what you're talking about, get the heck out of there! Go to another muffler shop.

Price depends on location. On aveage, I would around $60.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#60554 - 02/23/05 05:44 PM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Best thing to do is to goto PFYC print out a pic of the Ubend delete. Take that to the shop show them the pic (make sure the price isn't on it)then ask them how much would it be to make that part and install it on your car. The muffler shop might not know what a "u-bend delete" is. But with the pic it will make things much easier.
#60555 - 02/23/05 07:13 PM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
I cold-called about seven places when I was looking for my u-bend delete done. One out of the seven knew what I was talking about. Later, when looking for a buddy of mine, I came across three different places all recommended by ClubGP members in my area, and I recommend that you do the same Nad. I paid $35 for my u-bend delete, and my buddy only had to pay $30 when we found a great local shop that looked like a hole-in-the-wall but thanks to ClubGP recommending us we got a great price and very high quality work.

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#60556 - 02/24/05 12:20 AM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

Here's the way I approach it....
I inform the mechanic that...
"Just after the Cat, the pipe turns up and goes flat, then turns back down and goes round again. The O2 sensor is mounted on the flat portion, so a new O2 bung would have to be incorporated into a straigt piece of round pipe. I've been informed by others that it takes less then an hour."

This usually get's them to give me a price.......Usually it's around $70.

Oh, and preceding the price, I usually get the..."Why would they do that???" My response....."My only guess it to protect the O2 sensor from damage"....This usually quiets them down if they might think I'm unknowledgable....Or maybe it's because I've explained something that they can envision, but, have never seen...who knows.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#60557 - 02/24/05 01:46 AM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
RyanJ Offline
Loc: Warren, Michigan

here is a pic i took after I cut mine out. im lucky enough to have access to a welder and tools so it only cost me about $10 thumbsup

you can try printing this up and showing them exactly what it is.

'99 GP GT, Custom CAI, 180 T-Stat, U-bend Delete, NGK TR55IX plugs and Taylor Super Spiro wires.
#60558 - 05/23/05 03:36 PM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
GRH Offline
Loc: Syracuse, NY
Does the U-bend delete purchased from the GP store overlap the cat pipe so the weld is a lap weld or do you have to butt weld the pipe on?
#60559 - 05/23/05 03:49 PM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
even if its not expanded for a lap weld you can take it to an exhaust shop and probably have them expand it for free

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#60560 - 05/23/05 11:37 PM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
kustomkid54 Offline
Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
notontopic
Kustomkid,
What's up with the hood on that GTX? It appears to be a stock hood. Did GTX's come with the standard hood, or is that a clone in the making?
Sorry I didn't get back to you about the hood.
Running the stock Ram air hood (and air box), you pick up 10 HP over stock. CAI gives you around 20 to 25. So that made up my mind.
Hood sold for a good price. When I first repainted it, left the tags off, because of everyone asking the same thing.
When they were off, I had every SE and GT wanting to race. That got old. Now I get evry Mustang GT wanting to run. That's getting old too.

Been kicking around selling it. Buy a mini van.

Yea right.

Hope that helps.
#60561 - 05/23/05 11:53 PM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
thumbsup

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#60562 - 05/24/05 06:59 AM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
By the way the "ram air" does 0 for hp gains on the S/C'd cars. The S/C pulls in more air then you can "ram" into the intake. 20-25hp gains from a CAI? I highly doubt that unless you can prove that with a dyno sheet.
#60563 - 05/24/05 09:24 AM Re: What a U-bend delete accomplishes...
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by nad:
I'm just wondering if I went to my local exhaust shop and asked how much for a "u bend delete" if they would even know what in the heck I'm talking about. That's the only thing I'm worried about. I have a feeling that they're not cheap around here.
See if you can find places that provide free estimates. The place I went to here did, and they jacked the car up, and saying "ubend delete" when you're all looking at it is a little more obvious. If they don't know -then- .. tell them to go back to highschool and learn the alphabet. lol

Since I got more than the ubend taken out, I can't give you an estimate of what it would cost, but take this: I had a bend delete, res delete, muffs put on, tips put on, and a straight pipe fabricated from the cat back .. and it was a little over 100 bucks. I'm willing to bet a shorter and easier task of taking out the ubend wouldn't cost you more than 50-65 dollars.

Oh, also. If you can find a place that specializes in these things, it'll make it alot easier for you. Where I went here was a custom muffler place, so hopefully you can be that lucky and have something similar. laugh
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2